Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f2.0

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this lense?

I had this lense mounted to my old Ricoh film SLR long since forgotten.
I was so happy to find it was K mount and fit my new K30.
I am looking forward to playing with this old manual lense and see what kind of results I get.

My question is related to the image quality of this lense compared to other old film SLR primes.
How does it compare to say a SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 lens?

There are so many reasonably priced old lenses. What are some of the top picks to watch for if this Ricoh is not a top notch lense?

02-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi,
Here is a comparison between the SMC Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm and the XR Rikenon 1:2 50mm, both f/4.
I moved the tripod a bit between the shots , otherwise which shot is which lens?
(3MB camera jpgs)
https://www.box.com/s/8rdfhp9wfly64uvidqek
https://www.box.com/s/vf8ny5z3gzowb8po2f13
02-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a non-XR version of the same lens, but I think the optics are the same. It's very sharp wide open and nice and compact. The bokeh isn't great though, plus the minimum focus distance is quite long and the aperture can only be closed down in full, not half, stops.

It's a nice lens and makes for a very compact package, especially on a small film camera.

Make sure you remove the infamous Ricoh pin (if it has one) before you put it on an AF SLR camera though, it could become stuck. This is a small pin at exactly the same spot as the AF drive on an AF camera, it can become stuck in the AF drive and require the camera to be taken apart to remove it.
02-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brownie4u Quote
SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 lens?
The M series 50mm f1.7 is a very popular lens and the f2.0 versions were made to be cheaper than the f1.7 (which can mean the overall IQ is not as great, but not necessarily, depends on brand and series and even sample variation). But once you stop down a little and mount a lens hood, pretty much all 50mm lenses are good performers. I think there were many "battle of the 50s" and "50mm shootout" threads, which compare all sorts of lenses of that focal length. Honestly, the only differences I notice is the OoF rendering between some special cases, other than that they all seem to be good enough. If you already have the Rikenon, its probably pointless to buy another 50mm (unless you really like the FoV and want AF, modern coatings, f1.4, warranty,.. like the Pentax FA). Enjoy your lens and be wary of the Ricoh pin!

02-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

XR Rikenons are KM lenses, no 'P' pin. Only P series Rikenons have a 'Ricoh' pin.

Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f/2.0 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brownie4u Quote
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this lense?

I had this lense mounted to my old Ricoh film SLR long since forgotten.
I was so happy to find it was K mount and fit my new K30.
I am looking forward to playing with this old manual lense and see what kind of results I get.

My question is related to the image quality of this lense compared to other old film SLR primes.
How does it compare to say a SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 lens?

There are so many reasonably priced old lenses. What are some of the top picks to watch for if this Ricoh is not a top notch lense?
I own two copies of the XR Rikenon 50/2 and one of the M 50/1.7. The XR Rikenon 50/2 is a very competent optic and quite sharp. The only minus point I could assign is the tendency to "nervous" bokeh with certain background textures. That being said, in a straight comparison, I would consider the M 50/1.7 to be the better lens.

What does that mean in practical terms? My advice would be to get to know your Rikenon on the K30. If you get see a good deal on the M 50/1.7, get that too. What lens do I shoot with? Right now one of the Rikenons is on my XR7. The M 50/1.7 is on my XR-2s. I have not shot with the XR7 in awhile and if I grab it the Rikenon will stay on the camera.

Steve