Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC 105mm F2.8 vs SMC-M 100mm F2.8

can any one offer comparisons between these 2 lenses?
SMC 105mm F2.8 vs SMC-M 100mm F2.8

I have seen both in a shop, and they have my interest only as a lighter weight alternitive to my 70-200F2.8.

The only observation I have so far is that the feel of the focusing mechanism of the 105mm seems to be much more positive, and the lens overall (and I can't really quantitify this) seems to have a higher quality feel.

03-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
ms7

I cannot compare the SMC-K 105 to the M 100, but I can give you some sample images of the K 105. I also own the FA100/2.8 Macro (which produces fantastic images as well) but the K105 creates what I would call "atmosphere". This is also true for the SMC-K 135/2.5. Make sure you use a lens screen with it.

The K 105 and K 135 are two of my favourite lenses. Certainly, the M-Series are good lenses as well. I once had the M 135/3.5 and the K 135/2.5 side-by-side and I liked the "K" much better.

I could imagine that the same goes for the K 105/2.8. It is an amazing lens. Tack sharp, beautyful and creamy bokeh. It is rare and hard to come by if you want it. Buy it and I guarantee you won't regret it.
Attached Images

03-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 105 is not a very common lens. Comments on Stan's site indicate it is a little better than the 100. I have the 100 and love it but the 105 is such a rare bird I'd grab that one if I were you.

Ken
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

Actually picked up the 105, not so much because of the image quality, but more because there was just something about the lens that felt right. Can't really explain what it was, but compared to the M-100, the focusing was smoother, the resistance on the focusing collar was a little higher but much more positive in feel.

Overall, I think I wrote somewhere that t=for some reason, the M series lenses (to me) feel cheap. I have looked at a couple of different comparisons, M200 vs K200 any 135 against the K-135 F2.5 (which I also own) and can appreciate the comments of others on, it is also a great lens.

So far, I have used the 105 for portraits, and some low light indoor shots and am truely impressed.

12-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I'm resurrecting an old thread as I have a question about these same two lenses. Thanks to LBA and curiosity, I have both of these lenses, as well last the S-M-C Takumar version. All are in excellent shape externally and apparently internally. The M100, however, is quite noticeably sharper with better contrast and resolution than the 105 variants. As in virtually all of the resources I've come across the K105 is said to be the better lens, I wonder whether I should have my K105 checked out, or whether there may be differences in how the lenses perform across circumstances (camera body, lighting, distance). I'm attaching mine to Fuji X-T1 (still trying to figure which Pentax body to get). Any thoughts?
12-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K105 and had the M100 for many years. When I sold the M100 a friend said I would be sorry. So far I haven't been.

The M100 has a later version SMC coating formula and might experience less veiling flare, depending on how you are actually shooting them (angle of direct light, with/without hoods, etc.). In my experience the M100 was noticeably - I mean really noticeably - cooler than the K. In my experience with both lenses the 105 is actually sharper in the center but MAYBE falls off at the edges by comparison, which does not trouble me. I much prefer the use of the K105 for its build quality, ergonomics and balance on my cameras (I shoot K-3, K-01 and various K-series film cameras, plus an LX and every so often an MX).

Whichever you choose you will be happy with the image quality, given you use a hood and you plan for the temperature variation.