Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Problem with Tokina 60-300mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X

Hi everyone - I recently purchased a Tokina 60-300mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X from ebay. My initial impression when it arrived was that it's a beautifully constructed lens - built like a tank and mine is in beautiful condition. But there's one small problem - it won't fit on my K-r!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LKb93ifvggVZ5DzQjZX-50uC4326Pys-FT0GK-...eat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0NdBbQRmm74BtaTTk8zRm0uC4326Pys-FT0GK-...eat=directlink

The problem seems to be almost directly across from (180 degrees away from) the red dot. It seems there is a flange there (not sure the proper name for it!) that won't allow it to mount. It clearly says P/K-A R on the lens - does the "R" mean that it's actually a Ricoh mount? I don't see the dreaded Ricoh pin. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

02-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That might have to be removed. If it says PKA on the lens it's a K-mount lens with automatic aperture control. I'd wait for someone who can be sure about it, but I think that it actually was for a Ricoh camera (according to that flange).
02-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The large aperture flange will have to be removed and cut down. Or you can just leave it off. There are several small JIS screws that hold it in. The 'Ricoh pin' in this case is more of a nub. It will not be a problem. If you hold the lens so that the mount mark is a 12:00 the 'Ricoh nub' is at about 6:00.
02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
OK thank you - do you think this is worth doing? In other words, in your opinion, do you think the lens is worth keeping and modifying? Or is it the case that the IQ is mediocre anyway and I should just ask the seller for a refund?

02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

Hi,

I'm an owner of the Soligor C/D 60-300 f4-5,6 MC - which happens to be exactly the same lens (Soligor is just a brand name, not a real manufacturer).

As a matter of fact, this lens doesn't fit on Pentax cameras anymore since the introduction of the KAF2 mount at the beginning of the 1990s. The aperture flange simply is too big for the powerzoom / SDM contacts in the cam.

But, since it's made of aluminum, modifying the aperture flange is really easy. Just remove it from the lens and file it down to a more "normal" shape. Takes you a Leatherman and perhaps 5 minutes...

As boriscleto said already, the Ricoh pin is no problem with this lens. It won't jam so you don't have to remove it.

QuoteOriginally posted by pericombobulation Quote
OK thank you - do you think this is worth doing? In other words, in your opinion, do you think the lens is worth keeping and modifying?
Good question. I would say: only if you *really* like manual lenses and if it didn't cost you a lot.

On the one hand, build quality is very solid and the lens performs good in terms of color rendition and sharpness.

On the other hand, it suffers quite a bit from prurple fringing and you always need to keep an eye on the exposure time: The lens speed shifts from f4 to f5,6 (maybe at around 200mm) - but the lens doesn't report that to the camera! So, if you're zooming you have to manually correct your shutter speed or do some post processing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Exactly what I did. Takes 10 minutes, works like a charm. Great lens. Do it.
08-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi, I am new to the interchangable lens world, so, since I'm interested in buying this lens myself, I wondered if you guys can't help me out....So, I understand that this lens, as it is, will not fit my K-01 and that there are adjustments required to be done so that it will work properly. Can you please tell me what should I do (if I'm going to purchase this lens)?

09-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I got Soligor 70-160mm f3.5 today, and it does have the same problem as above. Mine looks a bit different. I want to cut off all the flange (?) extra part making it even. Will it work? Just want to make sure before doing that.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
09-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I got Soligor 70-160mm f3.5 today, and it does have the same problem as above. Mine looks a bit different. I want to cut off all the flange (?) extra part making it even. Will it work? Just want to make sure before doing that.
Yes. It has the 'Vivitar' aperture flange and it needs to be cut down or simply removed. There should be three very small screws holding it.
09-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks. It was 2 screws only.
Yes it works completely cut off, but the lens is total junk itself. At least my copy. Well, I got what I paid for The best old manual lenses are with signs of using, not those which look brand new in original box. Bad lens have been in box for a reason...
I ignored that twice.