Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Earl for your very valuable reply. You are completely right about the fuss of changing lenses. Its horrible to need to do that when the moment is there. It is also why I bought the Sigma in the first place. Switching lenses - I hate it. You have to keep the second lens ready, then you have to take the first lens off so you have two vulnerable openings. Then you have to take the cap of the second lens, which means that you have three vulnerable openings. Then, while putting the first lens in your pocket without cap, you finally have both hands free to attach the second lens. Then you have to stow away your camera, grab the first lens from your pocket to mount the cap. And after your shot, you probably need to repeat the operation. Terrible.

Any other arguments for the Sigma?

02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Thank you Earl for your very valuable reply. You are completely right about the fuss of changing lenses. Its horrible to need to do that when the moment is there. It is also why I bought the Sigma in the first place. Switching lenses - I hate it. You have to keep the second lens ready, then you have to take the first lens off so you have two vulnerable openings. Then you have to take the cap of the second lens, which means that you have three vulnerable openings. Then, while putting the first lens in your pocket without cap, you finally have both hands free to attach the second lens. Then you have to stow away your camera, grab the first lens from your pocket to mount the cap. And after your shot, you probably need to repeat the operation. Terrible.
That's why God invented messenger bags,and sling bags
02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's why God invented messenger bags,and sling bags
Cool! I just hope that God keeps his beard away when He changes your lens.

Honestly, how do bags help you change lenses safely?
02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not for everyone, but with a good bag:
  1. Loosen rear cap on #2 lens, which is in the bag
  2. Remove lens #1 from camera and place in bag
  3. Swap rear cap from lens #2 to lens #1
  4. Pull lens #2 from bag and attach to camera
  5. Secure rear cap to lens #1
Yes, you still have openings, this just makes sure you never have two lenses in your hand, one is always secure in the bag. And it can all be accomplished one handed so the other hand is free for the camera.

A good bag is invaluable, as a working tool, not just a place to carry your kit.

02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Any other arguments for the Sigma?
Glad you feel the same way. There was one particular instance that sticks out in my mind.

I was on an all-day bike ride. The conditions were a little bit drizzly and foggy, but it wasn't pouring rain. I had my camera, my 18-55WR, and a telephoto, and I was swapping between the two lenses every now and then as needed.

I had dismounted and was walking along a pier when two people walked past me heading into the mist. I could tell right away that there was potential to make an epic shot. I had to change lenses from my tele to the 18-55. Being as CAREFUL as I could using my bag as a shelter, I made the switch, and put the camera up to my eye to get ready.

What do I see? A SMALL WATER DROPLET had somehow landed on the mirror. I was flabbergasted since I was super careful. The camera had remained facing down the whole time the mount was exposed. The lenses were only exposed for a brief moment as the switch was made.

Needless to say I did not take a shot. I did not want the mirror to flick that water droplet all around the guts of the camera. I actually didn't take anymore shots until I got home because I didn't want to aggravate it, so I waited until I got home and dried out the drop before doing anything further with the camera. Lack of weather sealing was not the problem here. The problem was in the act of the switching itself.

That was actually the first instance that made me think that multiple lens scenarios might not be for me. Later events reinforced that notion in me. Now, as mentioned earlier, having a do-it-all lens for a particular scenario gives me the peace of mind to know that nothing will interfere with me needing to get a shot.

The bag thing isn't for everyone.
02-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello all, thank you for the valuable arguments. I have narrowed it down to

* 18-50WR
* M50 F1.7

I still need to choose between
* 50-200WR (higher quality, WR, weight, size)
* S18-200 (versatile, do it all, no lens swaps in awkard places)

For sure I will leave the Chinon 300mm at home. It is large, heavy, not much used.
Still thinking about the S28/2.8 though.

Thank you for your thoughts.
02-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It's not for everyone, but with a good bag: Loosen rear cap on #2 lens, which is in the bag Remove lens #1 from camera and place in bag Swap rear cap from lens #2 to lens #1 Pull lens #2 from bag and attach to camera Secure rear cap to lens #1 Yes, you still have openings, this just makes sure you never have two lenses in your hand, one is always secure in the bag. And it can all be accomplished one handed so the other hand is free for the camera. A good bag is invaluable, as a working tool, not just a place to carry your kit.
I fully agree. I'm never fumbling with two lenses in one hand, that way, and the time the sensor is left exposed is minimal.

jatrax explained it pretty well. In addition, when conditions are difficult, you can use the bag as a partial protection for your equipment, blocking wind, for instance.
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all,

As some say: there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. Bring it on.

I have packed my bag. It contains the 18-55WR, 50-200WR, M50/1.7 and the newly acquired DA10-17.

Thanks again