Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miles Quote
Any guess on what magnification you are achieving?
Um... big?

Is there really a benefit with the Pentax adaptor?
Yep. The Pentax adapter has a built in leaf shutter which defeats the jello effect, and is built better. Other adapters exclusively use the camera's electronic shutter.

Can i adjust the aperture on an A or FA lens with a fleabay adaptor?
If you get an adapter without it's own aperture ring, you can only adjust the aperture with lenses that have an aperture ring, like the A & FA lenses. I'd recommend spending an extra $10 and getting the adapter with an aperture ring, because that also allows you to adjust the aperture on lenses that don't have an aperture ring, like the DA lenses.

I don't think the rolling shutter thing will be a big deal for me - i don't do much video anyway
If your camera moves during the exposure you can still get the jello effect, even on still images. I don't have a problem doing handheld shots with lenses up to 135mm on the Q, but you have to hold the camera steady, and even then you'll get a jello shot every once in awhile. The genuine Pentax adapter's leaf shutter eliminates the possibility of jello at speeds under 1/1000, but also costs $250. And if you want the tripod foot, that's another $50. As long as I use lenses under 135mm or use a tripod, I do ok with the Fotodiox $30 adapter. There's certainly an advantage to the Pentax adapter, but to me it's not worth $270 more. I'm using the Fotodiox adapter 'til the prices come down or I find a good deal on the Pentax adapter on the used market.

If the Pentax adapter were $100 I'd think it was a good deal. I look at this way: The 01 prime lens is $200. This is a thing which not only has a better leaf shutter (top speed is 1/2000th sec.) but also high quality glass optical elements, focusing helicoid, electrical contacts and circuitry, and built-in ND filter. The Pentax adapter is $50 more than the 01 lens (or $100 more if you want the tripod foot) and is essentially a hollow tube with a leaf shutter (with a lower 1/1000 sec. top speed) and aperture ring. It's kind of a ripoff at that price, in my opinion.

02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for the 105 as well. I love using my Kiron 105 for portraits and also for Macro work - suspect you will as well.

I'd go with that and get a nice, sharp 50 later.

VisualDarkness -- outstanding shots! I know what lens I'll be taking out and using this weekend! Very inspirational.
02-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Um... big?

Yep. The Pentax adapter has a built in leaf shutter which defeats the jello effect, and is built better. Other adapters exclusively use the camera's electronic shutter.

If you get an adapter without it's own aperture ring, you can only adjust the aperture with lenses that have an aperture ring, like the A & FA lenses. I'd recommend spending an extra $10 and getting the adapter with an aperture ring, because that also allows you to adjust the aperture on lenses that don't have an aperture ring, like the DA lenses.

If your camera moves during the exposure you can still get the jello effect, even on still images. I don't have a problem doing handheld shots with lenses up to 135mm on the Q, but you have to hold the camera steady, and even then you'll get a jello shot every once in awhile. The genuine Pentax adapter's leaf shutter eliminates the possibility of jello at speeds under 1/1000, but also costs $250. And if you want the tripod foot, that's another $50. As long as I use lenses under 135mm or use a tripod, I do ok with the Fotodiox $30 adapter. There's certainly an advantage to the Pentax adapter, but to me it's not worth $270 more. I'm using the Fotodiox adapter 'til the prices come down or I find a good deal on the Pentax adapter on the used market.

If the Pentax adapter were $100 I'd think it was a good deal. I look at this way: The 01 prime lens is $200. This is a thing which not only has a better leaf shutter (top speed is 1/2000th sec.) but also high quality glass optical elements, focusing helicoid, electrical contacts and circuitry, and built-in ND filter. The Pentax adapter is $50 more than the 01 lens (or $100 more if you want the tripod foot) and is essentially a hollow tube with a leaf shutter (with a lower 1/1000 sec. top speed) and aperture ring. It's kind of a ripoff at that price, in my opinion.
Thanks for the adaptor analysis. Come to think of it, i paid 250 euro for the Q + 5-15 kit! I'm not about to shell out the same amount for a hollow tube, as you put it!
02-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i almost had my mind set on the 70mm. But i browse around KEH every so often, and I like them. I ordered a refurb Tamron 17-50 from B&H and when i got it, it had electrical issues and not making contact with body and the autofocus was way off. I contacted them and they promplty issued a shipping label to return it and was going to send another, a couple weeks went by and i never got my new copy. I called them and they said that they were not sure when they would get more refurb tamrons, if any and issued me a refund. No hard feelings, somewhere on here i got KEH's name and checked them out and they had a 17-50 cheap so i ordered it, and its perfect. I later got a tamron 70-300 from B&H new, its in the market place. I got a Pentax 55-300 from keh, again its perfect, and now im waiting for the sigma 105 coming from keh.

02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just discovered a new bonus. The 105 takes 58mm filters as does my 55-300. Of course only size I have now are 67's
02-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Just discovered a new bonus. The 105 takes 58mm filters as does my 55-300. Of course only size I have now are 67's
And the pretty much unnecessary hood takes 77mm ones!
02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm thinking of buying a Takumar - A 2x telecoverter for $27. I read here they aren't the best, would it be worth taking the glass out for an auto extension tube???