Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The FA 35 is one of the true stars of that era.
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
As it was to me.
For me there is a certain level of optical performance where enough is enough and the FA 35 is enough.
I don't care if I ever have a lens that exceeds the optical performance of the FA 35. My pics may have problems but they are problems not solved by a $1000 lens.

By the way the focus ring is perfect for me - light to the touch and close to hand and can be controlled by only one finger. I don't loose a firm grip on the camera body with my left hand which is important when taking slow available light shots.

03-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For me there is a certain level of optical performance where enough is enough and the FA 35 is enough.
I don't care if I ever have a lens that exceeds the optical performance of the FA 35. My pics may have problems but they are problems not solved by a $1000 lens.

By the way the focus ring is perfect for me - light to the touch and close to hand and can be controlled by only one finger. I don't loose a firm grip on the camera body with my left hand which is important when taking slow available light shots.
The focus works for me, too, though I do have a place in my heart for the workings of the old K and M series. However, those series never offered anything like the performance of the FA 35 at large apertures. (IMHO, those lenses did not have the level of performance where enough was enough at F2) If this design had been the basis for those lenses and resulted in that level of performance, I'd have one of them. I might have passed on the AF version (to my loss).

BTW, a fast 35 was something I always coveted. I never tried a ~35mm lens for my K mount SLR back then which I liked enough better than the Olympus XA to be worth the size.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-01-2013 at 07:47 AM.
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like others said, it's pretty much up to the individual lens. For example, the FA 50 1.4 sure is a nice example of enormous bang for the buck. Small, light, fast, extremely affordable, focusses very fast, and feels surprisingly well built and sturdy, for a plastic FA. It's softish wide-open, as a portrait lens should be, and very sharp from 2.8 onwards. And that sharpness is corner to corner on APS-C.
03-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
While there are certainly good performers in both ranges it does seem the FA series has a higher percentage of poor lenses. Maybe that was just due to the length of time the range was produced or that Pentax was at that time also trying to cover the lower end and compete on price with some really inexpensive lenses. Or maybe QC just got sloppy.

Anyway, I'm glad we have forum review database to give guidance. It may not be perfect but it is far better than nothing.

03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Or maybe QC just got sloppy.
The late 1980s ushered in the era of the cheap consumer zoom. A wide to normal was bundled with the camera and you could upgrade to complete the kit with the normal to long version of cheap. Add in a super-zoom to take to Europe with you and you have a full set. Those are the "bad" FA and F lenses.

Steve
03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those are the "bad" FA and F lenses.

Steve
There's only one really terrible F zoom...the 35-80. There's only one really outstanding F zoom, but the rest are very good to good...