Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just my experience: I had my DA *16-50 SDM repaired about 6 months after purchase. That was in the fall of 2008 and it is still going strong without problem. My wife shoots wedding photography, so I would be inclined to fix it if it ever bit the dust again.

04-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I suggest whoever have insisted the SDM problem had be addressed, should pay for these repairs due to spreading false information.
IIRC the OP has had the 16-50 for years now. So he had a pretty good run with the lens. I have no idea whether or not the SDM issue has been fixed with new lenses, but the OP's lens is no where near new.

NaCl(seems to me that there are less and less new lenses failing)H2O
04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
IIRC the OP has had the 16-50 for years now. So he had a pretty good run with the lens. I have no idea whether or not the SDM issue has been fixed with new lenses, but the OP's lens is no where near new.

NaCl(seems to me that there are less and less new lenses failing)H2O
We really have no data either way, not for Pentax, not for Nikon or Canon either. The best we have are the rates of lens failures from lens rental (LensRentals.com - Lens Repair Data 2011). From this, we can see that any lenses with in lens motors have the possibility of failure and the more complex the zoom, the more likely it is to happen. At the same time, in lens motors do seem to be the wave of the future and there seems to be an awful lot of complaining about the noise of old screw driven lenses.