Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Laurentiu, the Samyang 8mm does have a wider perspective. I'm not looking at the focal length, but at actual tests.
This is the original post - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/172414-fisheye...ml#post1826650

Corner-to-corner span is about the same, if you look at the shots carefully, but because of the different mapping the Samyang effectively captures a wider angle at the frame width and height.

02-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Defishing is very addictive.

02-24-2013, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be the first to confess that I struggle with the DA 10-17 fisheye zoom, as I find it hard to pre-visualize what a good fisheye might look like. So when I'm packing for a trip, the DA10-17 is often left at home, which prevents me from getting better at using it. It's a vicious cycle. That said, I have managed to nab some keepers over the years:

That last one ended up being the lead photo (a two-page spread) for my motorcycle travel story on Quebec - Québec: Postcards From the Province | RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel Magazine
02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'll be the first to confess that I struggle with the DA 10-17 fisheye zoom, as I find it hard to pre-visualize what a good fisheye might look like. So when I'm packing for a trip, the DA10-17 is often left at home, which prevents me from getting better at using it. It's a vicious cycle. That said, I have managed to nab some keepers over the years:
Those are really nice.

02-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #50
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Corner-to-corner span is about the same, if you look at the shots carefully, but because of the different mapping the Samyang effectively captures a wider angle at the frame width and height.
Yes, the mapping of the Pentax distorts the edges of the frame more, so it pushes details out. This is why I picked the Samyang after reading about the stereographic projection in reviews. The Pentax one seems to be of equisolid type. With the Samyang, if you have a person at the edge of the frame, they still look human, but with the Pentax (as well as with most other fisheye designs), the distortion goes wild at the edges.
02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #51
Pentaxian

This shot goes back a few years to the Adirondack Hot Air Balloon festival. When the crews all start filling the balloons and all the photographers start running backwards to get pictures, you can walk forward and get close with the crew and still get the whole balloon in the frame if you have a fisheye. I was shooting along with a Nikon guy who also had a fisheye and we were enjoying pissing everybody else off by getting up close and making them wait until we were done.
02-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not frequently, but occasionally. I have the 10-17. I have done things like use it as the only lens when visiting aquariums etc...

02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This shot goes back a few years to the Adirondack Hot Air Balloon festival. When the crews all start filling the balloons and all the photographers start running backwards to get pictures, you can walk forward and get close with the crew and still get the whole balloon in the frame if you have a fisheye. I was shooting along with a Nikon guy who also had a fisheye and we were enjoying pissing everybody else off by getting up close and making them wait until we were done.
Smart creative decision and good shot!
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Contemplating buying the Bower fisheye (its on sale). I have read mixed reviews of this lens. For those of you that own a fisheye, how often do you use it? I do a lot of landscapes and architecture, so I thought it would be interesting. But, I don't know if it is one of those things that you need to "just get out of your system." So, how versatile are these things? Do you use them once the initial novelty of the "look" wears off?
I bought the Samyang 8mm last year and almost never used it. It's a great and fun lens but it's too big and heavy for my taste, so it mostly stays at home and I'm planning to sell it.

On the other hand I now have a Q with the fisheye lens and I just love it. It's so lightweight and fun that I always bring it with my Q and the 01 when I go outside.

Some samples :