Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well my peeps, somebody said the price I would pay would depend on how much I wanted them. I guess I wanted them a lot.

Checking on the back story the guy got these as collateral for a loan he did to a guy he hasn't seen ever since and wanted to get what he loaned the guy back. 120.00 buckaroos, of course I tried the old 80.00 buck kinda thing which made him to instantly get the constipated face. At the end of the run and a few minutes after that on the parking lot of my job, with 3 minutes to spare for me to get in, he said "All I can do is 100, won't like to loose more than 20 bucks" for which I said, thank you very much and have a nice day.

The thing about it is, that I was a car salesman, and this made me think of my old boss that at one time told me that "salesman's are the easiest people to sell things too" which now for some reason, makes sense to me.

Now to the lenses, which all were made on Japan. I never bought lenses, and to be honest, I followed the link THoog provided and speed read it and actually think it helped me a lot. Aperture switch for Manual and Auto works and clicks like I would think it's supposed to, feels firm without being too tough to change and clicks on each position. Aperture ring clicks on each stops and feels the same way. Focus ring feels to me like heaven after being with only my 18-55mm DA L kit lens, now I really know how cheaply that lens is made or at least how cheaply the focus ring feels. While moving the aperture and focus rings I kept trying to push and pull to the front and back of the barrel to kinda test for movement on the rings and anything loose, there was no movement whatsoever but the side to side natural movement of the rings.

Put my flash of my cell phone ( led flash ) to look inside the damn things, if there is dust there, I could not see it, or need an update to my prescription, it looked inside there like when you take a dark grey or black dashboard and give it a good clean, no water or nothing just a nice dry cloth and clean the hell out of it, that matte look to them dashboards... not too much reflection in there kinda thing... don't know if its good or bad, I checked it as good and kept on.

Glass had some specks of dust which rapidly went away with a lens wipe. The little silver/chrome thingy on the back that actuates the aperture blades worked flawlessly on every aperture ( I don't know if I needed to test it in every click, but I did it anyways ). Blades with no sign of oil. Barrels barely have a nick or anything, just wear on the back of them because of screwing them to cameras.

All front caps are what I think are original Asashi's Pentax and all back are the same screw on original looking ones. The 50 and 135 have that little barrel looking case which show a little age but works for now.

Now the only thing I thought was bad. There was a funny looking tint type of thing on both 50 and 55mm which I thought would end up being that yellow tint I have heard and seen, but also know that there is easy ways to take out if needed, the 135 seemed clear as a clear seeing glasses would be.

Nevertheless I got the home and took the K-30 out and since I got no adapter yet, I just carefully presented the lenses one by one on front of the mount and messed around with exposure and took a couple of pictures for you to see what they look like, well how the 55 and 135 looked like since I used the 50 @ 1.4

Please know this is not mounted, Is on auto or tungsten w/b and hell, just put em on LR and lens corrected it to "pentax prime lens" and added about half a stop of exposure. Nothing else messed with, so they are as shot with only the two things mentioned adjusted.

After looking at this shots, I am starting to think, that tint I talked about is the coating? because even in the lcd colors don't seemed washed out or color cast with a yellowish or golden tone. You guys tell me.

Anyways. here are the shots.

PS. Please let me know if you know where I could get a decent third party m42 adapter since BH nor Adorama seem to ever have it in stock and it's back ordered since forever!

Thanks to everybody that in this 24 hours have helped me more than they think. For you, I raise my glass, well my red solo cup full of hawain punch and salute you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by BigJPR; 02-23-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: forgot to metion country they were made.
02-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #17

Original Poster
Just to be sure, this is the right adapter for my k-30 correct?!?

Pentax m42 adapter
02-23-2013, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigJPR Quote
Just to be sure, this is the right adapter for my k-30 correct?!?

Pentax m42 adapter
Yes that is the correct adapter. But make sure you remove the spring-clip.
02-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks boriscleto! One ? What is that big metal clip show on the pictures for?

02-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big metal clip is a tool for removing the adapter. The genuine Pentax adapter has a different spring clip design that makes it much easier to remove (you just need your fingernail). The generic adapters have a bad reputation for getting stuck in the camera because of the spring clip design. That doesn't happen if you remove the spring clip, you just have to be careful to not over-rotate the adapter. Friction from the lens should be enough to keep the adapter from rotating during focusing. If you are really worried about it you can cut a slot in the lens so that it engages the lens release mechanism, but on some M42 lenses that is not an option.
02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
So worry free install for a beginner would be just to buy the never in stock pentax adapter?
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #22

Original Poster
Would this be a way to go or is it too expensive. Are they even making the adapter anymore, meaning Pentax?

Genuine and Original Asahi Pentax M42 PK Adapter | eBay

02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax seems to do one batch of adapters per year or so. When they run out, everyone takes it as a sign of the End Times, and then some more show up later. I think it's significant that B&H just shows it as "back-ordered", when they frequently mark out-of-stock items as "discontinued". Fifty is a little high (thirty is the MSRP, when they are in stock), but that seems to be the only game in town right now for the genuine Pentax adapter.

I'll add to Na Horuk's comments that on some of the generic cheap-o adapters, the screw isn't even recessed properly, so it scrapes the lens mount on the camera, dropping nastly little metal shavings where you don't want them. I just remove the screw and spring by default. Some PF members have gotten generic adapters where the bayonet flanges were poorly machined - I haven't had that problem.
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO you got such a deal on those lenses I'd just try to get the best eBay genuine Pentax adapter you can. You'll still be way ahead and those are fine lenses.

Congrats!!
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would this be a way to go or is it too expensive. Are they even making the adapter anymore, meaning Pentax?
I have had very good success with my genuine Pentax adapters, but have not used any of the the 'after-market' brands. The Pentax model installs very smoothly; fits precisely, positively, and cleanly; and removes equally easily. It provides for convenient and hassle-free use in the field. It is machined to close tolerance, and mates well to the body mount. Finally, the threads provide for a close and wobble-free mounting of the lens. Needless to say, it allows the M42 lens to focus to infinity, which certain 'flanged' adapters do not.

Other users may wish to compare the Pentax model with other adapters. There are a number of threads in the forum that discuss the pros and cons.

Concerning the price: For my first adapter, I bit the bullet and paid the full 'Canadian' retail price (a local outlet had several on the shelf) to ensure I got one. I originally thought it was a steep price to pay for a small piece of metal; later, I appreciated its quality and ease of use and have not had any remorse. Recently, I bought another for a good price on Kijiji to provide more convenience and to serve as a back-up in case of loss or damage.

- Craig
02-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #26

Original Poster
I think I am going to have to bite the bullet. Havent seen any less than 49 and up to 59. Does it matter which type I get? I see there is at least 3.
02-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Genuine and Original Asahi Pentax M42 PK Adapter | eBay
That's a pretty good deal, I got mine just when there was a serious shortage of them and had to pay more.

About the tint I guess they are radioactive and lenses that is gets yellow with time, though sunlight treatment is supposed to clear it. Both my Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 are yellowed with the older Super-Takumar being worse. Looks like a nice set of lenses there no matter! Tht 50/1.4 is a wonderful lens in every way and should serve you well for as long as you want it to.
02-24-2013, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet. Havent seen any less than 49 and up to 59. Does it matter which type I get? I see there is at least 3.
To the best of my knowledge the only change over the years has been the lettering engraved on the adapter. The most recent only have PENTAX engraved, though they feel lighter than the older ones I have had. Perhaps the newer ones use a different, lighter metal (say aluminum rather than stainless steel)..
02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's a pretty good deal, I got mine just when there was a serious shortage of them and had to pay more.

About the tint I guess they are radioactive and lenses that is gets yellow with time, though sunlight treatment is supposed to clear it. Both my Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 are yellowed with the older Super-Takumar being worse. Looks like a nice set of lenses there no matter! Tht 50/1.4 is a wonderful lens in every way and should serve you well for as long as you want it to.
Ok. I actually found a top seller in PA that it's selling a Pentax Japan adapter for 55 and out will get here much faster and thats a big deal to me. I have taken photos with the lenses inside the house just by putting them in front of the mount and using live view, too excited about actually being more free to catch photos I really want to catch and to practice with then sitting on the camera like they are supposed to sit.

Question, I will be able to use the catch on focus with any of then? thanks again to all of you!

Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 in very good condition.... 33.33
Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 in very good condition... 33.34
Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 in very good condition... 33.33

Having the confidence of being able to realize that was a steal because some selfless people love photography so much to help a know nothing beginner in the craft stranger.... Priceless!

Thanks a bunch guys, hopefully I learn so much with time that I would be able to return the favor to another know nothing photographer wannabe in the future!

Last edited by BigJPR; 02-24-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: ahhhh.... spelling!
02-24-2013, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I only want one thing in return, that you post a couple of pics taken with the lenses in the thread!