Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pancakes without hoods?

Hey. I did a quick look and didn't see any relevant thread.

Pancake lenses are cool. I get the desire to just have a tiny lens like these. I wonder whether they suffer from the lack of a hood - particularly the 40mmXS. In bright sun are they more prone to reflections and flare?

02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Having used DA and FA pancakes in the past, I would say hoods are still useful. I am assuming a lot of the mirrorless lens offerings are much more geared towards consumers and the lack of hoods either keep the price down or keep the confusion of what they are down.
02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the limiteds have a hood, take a look at the lens reviews and look at the built in hoods. The 40mm XS doesn't have a hood, though. Flare is only a problem when wide open or when shooting at really terrible conditions, like framing near the sun. (though, that goes for most lenses). The 27mm filter thread is not very convenient, but you can get some things in online stores. (like filters and even some hoods, though i don't know if the hoods are effective. I think there have been some threads on this topic, feel free to search for them)
02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

The limiteds do have hoods and they need them. All lenses need them. I shoot mostly real estate and it makes a huge difference.

02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Hey. I did a quick look and didn't see any relevant thread.

Pancake lenses are cool. I get the desire to just have a tiny lens like these. I wonder whether they suffer from the lack of a hood - particularly the 40mmXS. In bright sun are they more prone to reflections and flare?
All of the pancakes have hoods, except for the XS lens. The DA 40mm's hood is actually quite elegant!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hoods exist for a reason other than to take up space in your bag :-)
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should have been more specific. The 40XS is tempting, though whether it's an economic alternative to the 40 ltd is an open question - particularly considering the lack of a hood etc.
At $150, it's not much of a cost consideration.
02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My 21 and 40 came with them. I have never used them. After reading the post above, I may test them.

02-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The hoods on the 21 and 40 are so compact, once they're on, you'll find that they're never in your way. They do a pretty good job of keeping my grimy fingers of the lens in casual handling. Use them and your Canikon friends will be so jealous.
02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All of the pancakes have hoods, except for the XS lens. The DA 40mm's hood is actually quite elegant!

I love the hood for the DA 40 LTD, not so fond of the thread in lens cap. They are harder to find, but it is possible to get the spring-loaded squeeze release caps to fit (30.5mm thread size). Makes it a lot better IMO.
02-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
I love the hood for the DA 40 LTD, not so fond of the thread in lens cap. They are harder to find, but it is possible to get the spring-loaded squeeze release caps to fit (30.5mm thread size). Makes it a lot better IMO.
I've given this some thought myself, and considering how recessed the front element is with the hood on, I concluded a cap wasn't necessary

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have the 70mm and the 40mm Limited lenses. I always use the hoods for two reason. To lessen flare and to protect the lens. I don't use filters on my Limiteds as I find they are difficult to fit...also I want to use these top quality lenses ...unfettered.
02-22-2013, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm constantly amazed at the general lack of understanding of the purpose and effect of a proper hood and how it affects image quality. And how many lenses have suffered unnecessary insult in reviews for lack of one?

- A hood does nothing to alleviate FLARE from light sources within the field of view of the lens. That's a characteristic of the optics design, coatings, aperture and internal masking of reflections.

- If you've ever driven with a dirty windshield, or looked through a dirty window, with SIDE LIGHTING or frost/rain drops causing haze and glare you've seen the conditions a hood is capable of defeating. Apparent softness and lose of contrast is the issue here, not flare.

Intentionally blow just a little dust on your lens (or maybe a greasy finger print? Or rain drops?) and take comparison shots with a light source well outside of the FoV of the lens. The effect of refracted light from any dirt or dust, or just poor lens coatings, is quite apparent. And it's not just bright points of light like the sun or a street lamp but also the subtle, soft light of a nearby reflection that can cause degradation. If you haven't done your own comparisons in real world conditions you'll never appreciate the difference a hood makes. Consider that exercise a photo project for a sunny afternoon.

Yeah, hoods ARE inconvenient and a general PITA! (just like tripods!), but both are equally important to great IQ -- and hoods are good lens protection as well. (Maybe assess a fine for posting any lens review without use of a hood?)

H2

[ I'm open to arguments that NOT using a hood is a valid method of image enhancement . . . but bring a box lunch an' a nap pillow 'cause it's gonna be a looong day. ]

Last edited by pacerr; 02-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.
02-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I'm constantly amazed at the general lack of understanding of the purpose and effect of a proper hood and how it affects image quality. And how many lenses have suffered unnecessary insult in reviews for lack of one?

- A hood does nothing to alleviate FLARE from light sources within the field of view of the lens. That's a characteristic of the optics design, coatings, aperture and internal masking of reflections.

- If you've ever driven with a dirty windshield, or looked through a dirty window, with SIDE LIGHTING or frost/rain drops causing haze and glare you've seen the conditions a hood is capable of defeating. Apparent softness and lose of contrast is the issue here, not flare.

Intentionally blow just a little dust on your lens (or maybe a greasy finger print? Or rain drops?) and take comparison shots with a light source well outside of the FoV of the lens. The effect of refracted light from any dirt or dust, or just poor lens coatings, is quite apparent. And it's not just bright points of light like the sun or a street lamp but also the subtle, soft light of a nearby reflection that can cause degradation. If you haven't done your own comparisons in real world conditions you'll never appreciate the difference a hood makes. Consider that exercise a photo project for a sunny afternoon.

Yeah, hoods ARE inconvenient and a general PITA! (just like tripods!), but both are equally important to great IQ -- and hoods are good lens protection as well. (Maybe assess a fine for posting any lens review without use of a hood?)

H2

[ I'm open to arguments that NOT using a hood is a valid method of image enhancement . . . but bring a box lunch an' a nap pillow 'cause it's gonna be a looong day. ]
I didn't realize we had an optical engineer in our midst.
02-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I like the screw-in cap. I lose the clip-on type from that lens because it is exposed. Some people use the cap from a Fuji (?) film canister.