Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EekBay Lenses

I bought another EekBay lens today. It's an A 70-210mm f/4. I hear it's a great lens and I hope it's as good as the A 50mm f/1.7 I bought on EekBay awhile back. I thought I would use it while I'm waiting for the DA* 300mm f/4 to be available. I can't help it, I've got LBA really bad.

02-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Don't I understand that. 4 lenses and a flash in the past 5 weeks. But heck, it's only money and my banker might understand....Not!
02-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! The 70-210 is a nice lens, a bit heavy though. Someone should seriously set up a LBA clinic, with sessions like "I can resist the lens, I don't need another one..." and "Eeebay equals pure eeevil..."
02-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Congratulations! The 70-210 is a nice lens, a bit heavy though. Someone should seriously set up a LBA clinic, with sessions like "I can resist the lens, I don't need another one..." and "Eeebay equals pure eeevil..."
Perhaps LBA offers some scope to extend my hypnotherapy practice.

Paul

02-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The danger with LBA is ending up with many so-called bargains that are so-so performers that don't get used much and take up storage space. Better to spend on a few good ones that actually get to be used and give superior results optically.
02-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The danger with LBA is ending up with many so-called bargains that are so-so performers that don't get used much and take up storage space. Better to spend on a few good ones that actually get to be used and give superior results optically.
So true cp, but the A 70-210 F4 is actually the best performer of all the 70-210 pentax mount lenses, and AFAIC, better than the 50-200 also. But it is heavy and it is manual focus. I just got a copy also and have been impressed with it so far. Look for my DA 50-200 to go up for sale soon.

NaCl(it all depends on what you are looking for I guess)H2O
02-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Congrats on the new lens. This is one of the good ones. A bit heavy but very good non-the less.

I wonder how many so-so lenses get recycled on Ebay. I bet some have done some serious world wide traveling. I remember first looking a lenses a few years ago on Ebay and there were tons of "camera lots" and now there are many times that amount in single lots.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-27-2008 at 05:11 AM.
02-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I wonder how many so-so lenses get recycled on Ebay. I bet some have done some serious world wide traveling. I remember first looking a lenses a few years ago on Ebay and there were tons of "camera lots" and now there are many times that amount in single lots.
Well the Pentax user base is slowly but surely growing. So there will be a lot of photographers who will want to explore and experiment with different focal lengths. With Pentax having a slow roll out of the lenses on their roadmap and the high cost of brand new lenses, it is only natural for those on a budget or bargain hunters to try their luck with older or used lenses.

The other thing is there are a select group of photographers who like to play with equipment. They wanna try out something new or different and once the novelty fades away will tire with it and dump it to try something different.

As for me, I'm not buying anything older than the A series...

02-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I bought another EekBay lens today. It's an A 70-210mm f/4. I hear it's a great lens and I hope it's as good as the A 50mm f/1.7 I bought on EekBay awhile back. I thought I would use it while I'm waiting for the DA* 300mm f/4 to be available. I can't help it, I've got LBA really bad.
I have the A 70-210, and have been quite happy with it.