Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep. That should do the trick.. With shipping it's $10.50 tho.. But hey - it ain't rocket surgery. :-)

Here's what I use.
If the Zeikos is multicoated to help resist flaring that makes all the difference.

I've never used one but Hey, if the glass is straight and the threads are machined accurately (stuck filters are a pain) then go for that one, looks like a bargain.

I've got a Hoya 49mm Aluminium frame UV(0) stuck permanatly on a FA70-200 in a box in the garage somewhere. I like the brass frames on the B+W myself. Never had a problem with one of them sticking.

Last edited by steve1307; 02-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Theres several versions of Hoya UV filters.That's the cheap non-coated version G series (general purpose). Made in the Philippines.

The multi-coated versions HMC used to be in the blue case & Made in Japan. The newer HMC ones in silver case are now made in Philippines.

The Pro 1D blue case are still made in Japan. There also a black case HD glass version and now and HD2 version it seems.

UV, Clear & Skylight| B&H Photo Video
Looking at the B&H pricing. The HMC can be found for about $20 and the Pro 1D is about $40. B&H don't sell the cheap one.
I like the one for 20 bucks. I think the 7 dollar one on ebay is probably just the glass G series?
02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
According to a Zeiss/Contax camera repair guy:
That guy is not talking about weather sealed lenses.

Check these links that show how good Pentax weather sealing is. Adding a filter could even do worse, as it would capture moisture between the front element and the filter. Also, regular filters don't have the water repellent coatings of WR lenses, so they would not behave as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'm only planning on using the camera on nice days in Iowa here. The worst that would happen would be shooting it some light snow, so I don't plan on dragging through the muck. Not with what I paid
If you don't plan to use the WR capability, you can get a B+W MRC filter, which seems to be available for a bit over $40. You can also get a less expensive filter, like a Quantaray for half the price, but then you might have problems with flare and the coatings may be easier to scratch. Here are some more comments I wrote on this subject.
02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That guy is not talking about weather sealed lenses.
I confess I never thought of the moisture trapping issue. Of course, if you're going to shoot in the rain you could just take the filter off.

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I've never used one but Hey, if the glass is straight and the threads are machined accurately (stuck filters are a pain) then go for that one, looks like a bargain.
You probably already tried it but just in case you hadn't: You can use a rubber band or rubber jar lid opener to remove stuck filters. Or even a soft-soled tennis shoe. Just stick you hand in the shoe & twist against the front of the filter ring.

02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Because I'd rather put the money towards the lens instead of an expensive UV filter that frankly after reading these posts, apparently I do not need.
Now if I spent $1,000 on an FA 31, then yea sure I'd pay a $100 for a filter for it. If I needed it. Again, I was just looking at something to protect the lens, not add to the image quality.
My point was to shop for a quality filter to mount on a quality lens. If you can find that filter for cheap, go buy it. I certainly would. Just don't go out and buy any old filter without putting a little research effort into it. A poor filter can seriously effect IQ in a bad way. A worthwhile read and I apologize if somebody else post this and I missed it.
UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com