Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax 18-135mm lens, Which UV Filter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just received my new Pentax DA 18-135mm today from prodigital2000 for $419. I am impressed so far. This lens will replace my kit lens. The color looks better and the images seem to pop out and are a bit more clear. My question is what UV filter would you buy for it. I just want something to protect the glass.
My local camera store has a Promaster UV filter with a dozen coatings or so for $34.99. They recommended this lens over the cheap glass lens's without coatings that is $12.99. Is this a fair price?

( I read the UV section in the lens accessory thread but with all those choices it was confusing)

02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on the new lens, I too bought mine from prodigital, but that was a couple years ago and for more money.

I would not recommend a UV filter because I believe they reduce the image quality. But, if you desire one, I would look at BW brand or the higher end Hoya. My local store carries the Promaster products and in general, they're pretty good for the money. However, they say the batteries and filters are not worth the price of the packaging they are sold in.
02-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I want to add that one advantage of clear UV filters with lenses is that if you use the lens in rain/misty conditions, you can wipe down the water/moisture that will form on the UV filter, instead of wiping down the front element directly with your shirt/jacket sleeve or whatever is handy.

I just use el cheapo UV filters I got from the mall. They are on mostly for the above listed advantage. They sometimes affect my pictures by causing ghosting. When they are real bothersome, I'll just take them off, but they're on about 90% of the time.

Also, I don't use lens caps. I just have UV filters on my lens all the time when it is on my camera and in my bag so that it is in "ready to shoot" mode.
02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I second a good Hoya one.

02-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA18-135WR very versatile lens. Handy for me in the bad weather down here today.

Unless you're out in the sea spray or dust or snow I'd recommend no filter at all.
But if you must wear protection then get multicoated version Hoya HMC , B+W MRC etc. With digital, (unlike film) no specific UV filter is necessary

Should add that a CPL is really the only filter I regularly use (B+W MRC version) these of course fufil the function of a protection filter also.
02-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Banned

This is a weather sealed lens - it makes no sense to protect it with a filter when it was designed to be used as is in bad weather. Just use its lens hood.

I do use filters for protection, btw, but not on WR lenses.
02-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
DA18-135WR very versatile lens. Handy for me in the bad weather down here today.

Unless you're out in the sea spray or dust or snow I'd recommend no filter at all.
But if you must wear protection then get multicoated version Hoya HMC , B+W MRC etc. With digital, (unlike film) no specific UV filter is necessary

Should add that a CPL is really the only filter I regularly use (B+W MRC version) these of course fufil the function of a protection filter also.
You're talking big bucks here right?

I wanted to stay in the 25 dollar range, but listening to You, Laurentiu , and calculator 01 maybe I should just leave it alone. I'm only planning on using the camera on nice days in Iowa here. The worst that would happen would be shooting it some light snow, so I don't plan on dragging through the muck. Not with what I paid

02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You're talking big bucks here right?

I wanted to stay in the 25 dollar range, but listening to You, Laurentiu , and calculator 01 maybe I should just leave it alone. I'm only planning on using the camera on nice days in Iowa here. The worst that would happen would be shooting it some light snow, so I don't plan on dragging through the muck. Not with what I paid
Well the 62mm UV multicoated from Hoya or B+W is about 40 bucks
62mm multicoated CPL from Hoya or B+W is 70 or 80 but it actually does something, cutting glare and reflections ,improving saturation.

I went shooting in rainy weather today, didn't take any filters but used my lenshood to keep droplets etc off the front glass.
02-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Why do people spend $500 and more for a lens and then set a budget of under $25 for filters? If you find a deal, go for it but don't put just any old piece of glass in front of your lens. A UV filter has it's place in certain conditions but most of the time it isn't needed.
02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Why do people spend $500 and more for a lens and then set a budget of under $25 for filters? If you find a deal, go for it but don't put just any old piece of glass in front of your lens. A UV filter has it's place in certain conditions but most of the time it isn't needed.
Because I'd rather put the money towards the lens instead of an expensive UV filter that frankly after reading these posts, apparently I do not need.
Now if I spent $1,000 on an FA 31, then yea sure I'd pay a $100 for a filter for it. If I needed it. Again, I was just looking at something to protect the lens, not add to the image quality.
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

According to a Zeiss/Contax camera repair guy:

"The best way to keep your lens clean is to purchase a UV filter and then to clean it when it gets dirty. It is relatively inexpensive to replace a filter if it should be scratched. In most cases it is prohibitively expensive or even impossible to obtain a replacement front element. Please don't take any heed of the arguments that a front filter is unnecessary or expensive. You can always replace it if it gets scratched or damaged and this is its only function in my opinion. It will take all the abuse of repetitive cleaning and you can learn all the lessons you need on a good filter. When purchasing a filter buy the cheapest one you can find. They are all about the same. You would have to work very hard these days to find a bad filter."

Here's the website, btw.

I'm the only guy with this opinion, but my experiments have mostly confirmed this, though I have had a couple of hazy filters. A Sunpak, Hoya, and a Tiffen. These all came in plastic boxes and could have been stored in hot conditions. Some plastics produce gases when they get hot that can chemically etch glass. I suspect that's what occured, though I don't know for sure.

Mostly, I use cheap Zeikos filters (made in Japan) to protect the lens. I've A/B tested them on a tripod with fixed focus and have yet to see any effect on IQ, even when viewed at 100%. I've got probably 15 lenses, and I keep a UV filter on all of them except the fisheye, because you can't put one on it. Never had a problem.

You could try one & if you don't like it, throw it away. You'll be out $3 or so. And in the event you see excessive flare in the viewfinder, unscrew the filter and if the filter is culprit, take the shot & screw it back on when you're done. Not a big deal.

I said the same thing in another thread and some guy got all up in my face about it like I was talking smack about his mother or something. For the record, I'm not telling anyone they have to use this kind of filter or no filter or whatever... I'm just saying this is what I do, and it's worked for me for years now.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 02-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
02-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
You could try one & if you don't like it, throw it away. You'll be out $3 or so. And in the event you see excessive flare in the viewfinder, unscrew the filter and if the filter is culprit, take the shot & screw it back on when you're done. Not a big deal.

I said the same thing in another thread and some guy got all up in my face about it like I was talking smack about his mother or something. For the record, I'm not telling anyone they have to use this kind of filter or no filter or whatever... I'm just saying this is what I do, and it's worked for me for years now.
Wow 3 bucks? That's a pretty cheap insurance policy. Now whad you say about my momma?
02-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How about this cheap filter? Hoya High Quality UV Filter Ultra Violet 62mm Filtre Brand New in SEALED Box | eBay

And its a Hoya!
02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How about this cheap filter?
Yep. That should do the trick.. With shipping it's $10.50 tho.. But hey - it ain't rocket surgery. :-)

Here's what I use.
02-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Theres several versions of Hoya UV filters.That's the cheap non-coated version G series (general purpose). Made in the Philippines.

The multi-coated versions HMC used to be in the blue case & Made in Japan. The newer HMC ones in silver case are now made in Philippines.

The Pro 1D blue case are still made in Japan. There also a black case HD glass version and now and HD2 version it seems.

UV, Clear & Skylight| B&H Photo Video
Looking at the B&H pricing. The HMC can be found for about $20 and the Pro 1D is about $40. B&H don't sell the cheap one.