Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vaasa
Posts: 23
Hello! Prime with weather-sealing?

Hello fellow penatxarians!

I recently sold my FF system and bought myself a Pentax k-30 with kitlenses 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR (i had a pentax k-5 a few years ago and just loved it but wanted to go FF, but guessing it wasnt all that since im back

So anyway i was looking at the lens lineup and there are some realy good, and some realy, realy good primes around. I had the 35 macro limited before and it was just great! Got myself a decent-paying job now so i got a bit more money tp play around with so i started looking for one or two primes to accompany me on my travels.

This is where i hit a wall so to say, i was hoping for a 24-50mm sealed prime aswell as one in the range of 50-90mm to put in the bag but i just cant find any WR lenses but the kitzooms and the DA*200, DA*300, DA*50-250.
Read some older threads on the subject but was hoping there is something new out.

Or is there realy no small good fixed optics with WR to match the small, WR camerabodys?

02-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
Kona's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria
Photos: Albums
Posts: 202
All of the * lenses are WR, afaik. So just look in to those across a few ranges. (not just DAs, but the FAs, F, A etc)
02-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 953
Vanheden,

First of all, welcome (back)!

Secondly,

I second your sentiments of a WR prime in the 24-50mm range. I would LOVE a DA* 24 f/1.4 or f/1.8, and I would pay a pretty penny for one too.

Here is the current offerings of Weather Sealed lenses by Pentax (not including the 645D's Medium Format lenses, of which all are "AW").

PRIMES:

  • DA* 55mm f/1.4
  • DFA 100mm Macro f/2.8 WR
  • DA* 200mm f/2.8
  • DA* 300mm f/4
  • DA 560mm f/5.6 AW

ZOOMS:
  • DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
  • DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
  • DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 WR
  • DA* 60-250mm f/4

WR = "Weather Resistant"
AW = "All Weather"

In ascending order from worst to best sealing: WR --> DA* <--> AW

There isn't any scientific proof to that, just what I assume and concluded from my reading. Some say AW is ahead of DA*, but I think they are on par with each other, which is frankly nothing short of spectacular in my experience.

Hope this helps.

-Heie
02-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vaasa
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Vanheden,

First of all, welcome (back)!

Secondly,

I second your sentiments of a WR prime in the 24-50mm range. I would LOVE a DA* 24 f/1.4 or f/1.8, and I would pay a pretty penny for one too.

Here is the current offerings of Weather Sealed lenses by Pentax (not including the 645D's Medium Format lenses, of which all are "AW").

PRIMES:

  • DA* 55mm f/1.4
  • DFA 100mm Macro f/2.8 WR
  • DA* 200mm f/2.8
  • DA* 300mm f/4
  • DA 560mm f/5.6 AW

ZOOMS:
  • DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
  • DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
  • DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 WR
  • DA* 60-250mm f/4

WR = "Weather Resistant"
AW = "All Weather"

In ascending order from worst to best sealing: WR --> DA* <--> AW

There isn't any scientific proof to that, just what I assume and concluded from my reading. Some say AW is ahead of DA*, but I think they are on par with each other, which is frankly nothing short of spectacular in my experience.

Hope this helps.

-Heie
Thank you, for both the welcome back and the list

Well i hope we can get the message across to pentax about the wide/normal WR prime market, seems there might be an opening there to make a few buck for them!
I dont mind the 50-55 range, but it realy needs a compliment at the lower range! The zooms are ok, the new 18-135 seems like a jewel but still... can it beat a prime in image quality and "photographnes"?

A DA* or fullframe compatible sealed 24/1.8 would realy be nice! Id pay 900 with ease for that, even more for a 1.4. Or even a sealed version of the 35/2.4 DA AL....

02-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
Zaphodmonster's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 150
QuoteOriginally posted by Vanheden Quote
Well i hope we can get the message across to pentax about the wide/normal WR prime market, seems there might be an opening there to make a few buck for them!
Totally agree with this! More primes! More WR!
02-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
All of the * lenses are WR, afaik. So just look in to those across a few ranges. (not just DAs, but the FAs, F, A etc)
Only the DA*s are WR. The older * lenses are not WR.
02-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
Kona's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria
Photos: Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Only the DA*s are WR. The older * lenses are not WR.
Oh. That's quite unfortunate, then. I thought the WR line had some history to it, not just current DAs.
02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
siamthai's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Svealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 172
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I would LOVE a DA* 24 f/1.4 or f/1.8, and I would pay a pretty penny for one too.
Really agree to this. I can't understand why there's five DA* lenses that's 55mm+ and only one DA* in the range up to 50mm. Why not at least one wide fast DA* prime? I have *16-50, *55, *60-250 and *300mm but the most used is the *55mm as I enjoy to use primes more than zooms. And not because that primes are better but mostly because a prime lens makes photography more fun (for me anyway).


Last edited by siamthai; 02-24-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ff, k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, primes, slr lens, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weather sealing proven Wired Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 07-25-2012 07:27 PM
weather sealing RonHendriks1966 Pentax K-5 69 03-03-2012 10:09 PM
weather sealing lens thunderchief Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-19-2011 09:59 PM
Weather sealing and prime lenses CWyatt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 05-19-2011 07:26 PM
Weather sealing (with poll) sebberry Pentax DSLR Discussion 58 01-25-2010 08:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top