Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Yep. Just takes some patience. Follow all the auctions with a reasonable opening bid (anything less than the value you're willing to pay), bid once, the maximum bid you would be happy paying, and improve your chances by bidding at the last moment, either manually or by using a "sniping" service.
With something like a 50mm lens, which comes up again and again, it is often worth looking through ads for lens+body and scrutinising the photo, especially if the lens is not described in the listing or is listed as something stupid, e.g Hoya 49mm.

03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Just takes some patience. Follow all the auctions with a reasonable opening bid (anything less than the value you're willing to pay), bid once, the maximum bid you would be happy paying, and improve your chances by bidding at the last moment, either manually or by using a "sniping" service.
You can also lose out using a sniping service. My last eBay purchase was a K55/1.8. I made my bid a number of hours before the end of the auction, someone tried to snipe the auction but bid the same amount I did. Since I had the earlier bid I won...
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can also lose out using a sniping service. My last eBay purchase was a K55/1.8. I made my bid a number of hours before the end of the auction, someone tried to snipe the auction but bid the same amount I did. Since I had the earlier bid I won...
Happens, certainly -- I've been second high bidder any number of times, and have also won some auctions where the second high bidder was close enough that I paid my full bid. As always, in the end it does indeed come down to who bids the most. The reason I use a sniping service is to reduce the chance of having the price bid up by incremental bidders -- those who bid the minimum allowed bid repeatedly until they either give up or become the high bidder.
03-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happens, certainly -- I've been second high bidder any number of times, and have also won some auctions where the second high bidder was close enough that I paid my full bid. As always, in the end it does indeed come down to who bids the most. The reason I use a sniping service is to reduce the chance of having the price bid up by incremental bidders -- those who bid the minimum allowed bid repeatedly until they either give up or become the high bidder.
In this auction I was the first bidder and there wasn't another bid until the snipe attempt. Almost every auction I watch now has no bids until the final few seconds. I was watching a black Spotmatic II that came with several S-M-C Taks from a seller with 0 feedback. The final price was low for what was being offered, but every bid came in the last 5 seconds.

My philosophy is to bid what I'm willing to pay early. If the sniper is willing to pay even $1 more they are welcome to it, something else will come along shortly. For the things I'm looking at on eBat there don't seem to be any incremental bidder anymore. Shopgoodwill on the other hand...and even there there are snipers.