Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I don't think you'll have to worry about the AF or loss in IQ with the Sigma and matching Sigma 2xTC, assuming that the lens has the same IQ as the previous generation. That combo works extremely well together (see some other threads about TC's and that lens, were I've posted a bunch of photos with that combo).

That being said I'd still probably go for the Bigma if wildlife is the main focus, there is nothing you can do to make up the extra 100mm reach of the Bigma. If Pentax would ever release a reasonably priced 400mm lens (like the Tokina AT-X 400mm f/5.6) then I this all would be so much easier

Just MHO

John
Palmor, I stand corrected. I remember reading a series of posts a while ago with the Sigma 70-200 where the claims were a 1.4x was fine but not the 2x. I'm going from memory but possibly they were not using matched TC's. I have both the Bigma and the 70-200 (APO non macro version) and would consider the 2xTC for the 70-200 f2.8 as long as I got the correct version. Would you mind posting a picture of the 2x you are using? Or is it simply the APO version? I looked up your other posts regarding this combo and clearly you are getting very good results with the bird shots and this combo.

For those looking for some examples, Palmor posted this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/183940-post4.html

02-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Palmor, I stand corrected. I remember reading a series of posts a while ago with the Sigma 70-200 where the claims were a 1.4x was fine but not the 2x. I'm going from memory but possibly they were not using matched TC's. I have both the Bigma and the 70-200 (APO non macro version) and would consider the 2xTC for the 70-200 f2.8 as long as I got the correct version. Would you mind posting a picture of the 2x you are using? Or is it simply the APO version? I looked up your other posts regarding this combo and clearly you are getting very good results with the bird shots and this combo.

For those looking for some examples, Palmor posted this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/183940-post4.html
I *think* what happens is that some people have really bad experiences with 2xTC's on soso glass and think that it is the TC when its actually the combo of the glass and TC that is bad. IMO if you start off with fantastic glass (like the 70-200) you can add TCs without a huge loss in IQ (you'll always have some loss and I guess its up to each person to decide if its acceptable or not). Now AF is slower but not slow, what I mean is the 70-200 is a very fast focusing lens and compared to itself you will notice it focusing slower with the 2xTC... but it won't be "dog slow", at least not IMO.

I'd be curious to see examples of the Bigma and 70-200plusTC compared at the same zoom ranges.. the bigma is another great piece of glass and I bet it would hold up well.

Anyway both my 70-200 and Sigma 2xTC are of the NON-DG type, simply the APO versions (so we have the same generation lens). So I guess the order of the 70-200 lens makes goes like:
  • non-DG
  • DG
  • DG Macro
  • Soon to be released version with SDM

I've read, but have no experience that the DG Macro wasn't quite as sharp at 200mm as the non-DG and DG variants. My 70-200 is VERY sharp at 200mm (see photo below).

Again my TC is of the non-DG type but I'm sure that there is no difference in the TC between non-DG and DG.

200mm photo with NO TC
Pentax *ist DS ,Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF
1/750s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso400

Last edited by palmor; 02-28-2008 at 06:03 AM.