Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how many of each lens did pentax make?

We know there are 23 million lenses to fit the K10D, based upon ads, but how many of each version did pentax make? Anyone?

edit note, the reason for posting is to try and identify which lenses are truely rare when you wtumble across one.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 02-27-2008 at 07:16 PM.
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
We know there are 23 million lenses to fit the K10D, based upon ads, but how many of each version did pentax make? Anyone?

edit note, the reason for posting is to try and identify which lenses are truely rare when you wtumble across one.
I think the exact number of lenses of each type produced will never be known. Globally, however, we can say this about the lenses:

- The longer the lens, the rarer (for instance the F* 600mm f/4);
- The faster the lens for a given focal length, the rarer (for instance the M 35mm f/1.4 although I think there have been less than 10 of that lens sold);
- Lenses for specific needs or with uncommon focal lengths are also rare (like the K 28/3.5 shift and K 30/2.8)
- The Star and Limited series lenses are rare.
02-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well just trying to imagine the number of 50mm lenses alone that were produced is mind boggling enough.
02-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think the exact number of lenses of each type produced will never be known. Globally, however, we can say this about the lenses:

- The longer the lens, the rarer (for instance the F* 600mm f/4);
- The faster the lens for a given focal length, the rarer (for instance the M 35mm f/1.4 although I think there have been less than 10 of that lens sold);
- Lenses for specific needs or with uncommon focal lengths are also rare (like the K 28/3.5 shift and K 30/2.8)
- The Star and Limited series lenses are rare.
please take no offence here but I already guessed that.

I was hoping someone had an actual number. I can imagine like everyone else, that a 50mm F1.7 was probably produced in equal quantities to number of bodies, BUT, consider the differences in lens build and performance for example between, K, M, A, F, and FA versions, some are better than others. Some just feel better, some perform very well others not so well.

I really was hoping for some good numbers, perhaps to be added to the lens database. It also helps if you have a particular lens in mind.

For example, although I have some very good and fast modern zooms, I am looking for some very fst primes, such as a 100mm F2 and 85mm F1.8. To be honest, I have never seen either of these in a store at any price. Same goes for the 200mm F2.5.

I do a lot of low light shooting, and speed IS everything in these instances.

02-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say this figure includes all the lenses made in M42 mount, including lenses from other manufacturers.

The production numbers for Pentax screwmount lenses are availble in Gerjan van Oosten's book The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide, Uitgeverij Jansz, 1999. Don't know for K-Mount though.

Edit: I just had a look at G. van Oosten's book and for most lenses, the production numbers are stated as NA.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 02-28-2008 at 07:23 AM.
02-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a FA43 and a DA21 that were bought new recently. Serial number 26xxx and 5xxx respectively.

Can we use these as indication of numbers produced to date?
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

please take no offence here but I already guessed that.
None taken. But sadly, the actual produced number of certain lenses is (and will remain) unknown. So you have to base this on your own experience.