Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Recommended CHEAP 100-135mm lens to use with Q

I have a yucky situation- seperation from my wife and splitting of our camera gear Its voluntary but the Q will go her way along with our Kx while I get the better glass flash and the K7.
She is interested in adapted lenses on the Q so I was going to suggest a good cheap adapter and maybe a 100/135mm prime to use as a fast tele. She will have the DAL 55-300 to use aswell.
So whats a good lens- It will need to work on the Kx as well so K mount is what we are after.
If we were still together (we being the Q and I it would be the DFA 100 WR without question. I may get another Q in the future onece the new ones come down in price so can can swap a nice red one for the original black metal one

(great excuse now for me to buy some new gear- aforementioned Q, 2nd body K-01, new tripod and replacement for the outgoing 55-300. )

02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The M 135mm or M 80-200mm will both work well. Don't cut corners with the adapter, though- I'd recommend getting the genuine Pentax one so that you get the leaf shutter and the tripod foot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It wont be me using it- my wife wont have any use for the built in shutter and she only uses the tripod at home for nighttime long exposures.
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Maybe an M 100mm F4 Macro? Sharp and adds macro capability as well, so quite flexible. The M 135 3.5 would give more reach and has nice rendering although CA can become an issue at wide apertures with backlit subjects. Either are powerful teles on the Q, and the macro would become >1:1.

02-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup macro would be a bonus- obviously AF is not required- I was hoping something in the 2,8 range but 4 is only a stop higher anyway and if it keeps it smaller/lighter then even better. Will check that out thanks.
Im also going to recommend the fisheye its just so damn cheap, I mentioned the 06 Zoom but she really wants lenses that work with both cameras and she would most likely use it for zoo visits anyway and in that case she will have the Kx and 55-300.
02-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If she has the Pentax 55-300, she doesn't really need another tele. Fast isn't a consideration in my opinion, because most teles will be soft and/or have a lot of PF wide open anyway, and need to be stopped down to at least 5.6 for decent performance. The 55-300 should have her more than covered, and it's a solid performer on the Q. I have one myself.

That said:

I also have both this Promaster (also branded Cosina, Pentax, Vivitar, & Phoenix) 100mm / 3.5 macro and this Pentax M 135 / 3.5 and both work very well. Here are the pros & cons of each:

Promaster 100mm macro: (560mm equivalent on the Q)

PROS:
Excellent sharpness & general image quality
Lightweight
Since it's a macro lens, will let you get incredible amounts of magnification on the Q
Easier to handhold than the Pentax 135 because it's slightly shorter focal length.
Due to the deeply recessed front element, does not need a hood
Good handling

CONS:
Maybe a bit more expensive than the Pentax 135 (You should be able to find one if you're a bit patient for $80-$100)
A bit of purple fringing under f:8

Pentax 135:

PROS:
Cheap ($50 typically)
Very good image quality and sharpness (though a tad softer than the Promaster 100mm. )
Small size
Lightweight
Very long reach - 135mm is equivalent to 756mm on the Q
Built-in hood
Good handling

CONS:
IQ not quite as sharp as the Promaster (but still plenty sharp)
PF under f:8
756mm equivalent length not as easy to handhold as Promaster 100mm, which is 560mm equiv. on the Q
Minimum focusing distance is around 5 feet. Forget about macro without using a closeup filter.

Both work well with my $30 Fotodiox adapter. It's the one I'll use until Pentax drops the price to a sensible level or I find one on the used market.

Considering your situation, I'd go for the Pentax. It's cheaper & still plenty good. It's the one I keep in my Q kit bag.

Hope that helps.
Bob :-)
02-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out the adapted lenses thread on the Q sub-forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ce-thread.html

As a rule you don't want to stop down past f/5.6 on the Q, so you want something that performs well at that aperture and/or wider.
02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
As a rule you don't want to stop down past f/5.6 on the Q, so you want something that performs well at that aperture and/or wider.
Some of the lenses I've tested on the Q are best at f:8. Sharper, and no PF at that aperture.

02-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Some of the lenses I've tested on the Q are best at f:8. Sharper, and no PF at that aperture.
Yes, but arguably that's not a lens best suited for use on the Q.
02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The M135/3.5 lenses are readily available for very good prices. I paid about $40 for mine. It's very light, has a built in slide out hood, takes a 49mm filter and excellent IQ.
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the insights- will ponder away-
02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Yes, but arguably that's not a lens best suited for use on the Q.
You're probably right about that.. but the shots taken with those lenses at f:8 look nice & sharp with no PF, so that's good enough for me. :-)
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry for you that you are splitting up.

The cheapest you will find is probably the Takumar bayonet 135 f2,5 or f2,8. I have used the latter, it doesn't pack the punch and contrast of SMC lenses but it's still sharp, easy to use, well made and it served me well.