Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Calibrating Lenses

I had read somewhere that Pentax DSLRs have built-in databases for automatically calibrating the attached lens. Is this true, or is it better to manually calibrate each of your lenses to each of your camera bodies?

I have a K-7 and a K-x, and I use a mix of Tamron, Pentax, and Sigma lenses.

cm

02-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charlestm Quote
I had read somewhere that Pentax DSLRs have built-in databases for automatically calibrating the attached lens. Is this true, or is it better to manually calibrate each of your lenses to each of your camera bodies?

I have a K-7 and a K-x, and I use a mix of Tamron, Pentax, and Sigma lenses.

cm
For Pentax DA and FA limited lenses, the camera supports in-camera distortion correction (very effective) and aberration correction (not very effective). These corrections can also be made when developing raw files, if you have the appropriate software.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

As Adam says.

But if you meant auto-focus calibration then the answer is a little different. The k-x has only a single global adjustment. The k-5 can handle 20 different lenses and set an AF adjustment for each lenses individually. I THINK the k-7 is the same but I'm not 100% sure. And these must be done manually, there is no automatic way to do this.
02-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As Adam says.

But if you meant auto-focus calibration then the answer is a little different. The k-x has only a single global adjustment. The k-5 can handle 20 different lenses and set an AF adjustment for each lenses individually. I THINK the k-7 is the same but I'm not 100% sure. And these must be done manually, there is no automatic way to do this.
K7 has both individual and global adjustments, global adjustment is applied to unrecognized lenses, I forget how many individual adjustments it has

02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
As Adam says.

Sorry for not being more clear. I was specifically referring to auto-focus calibration.
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For Pentax DA and FA limited lenses, the camera supports in-camera distortion correction (very effective) and aberration correction (not very effective). These corrections can also be made when developing raw files, if you have the appropriate software.
Quite true, but the extra computations in the camera can really slow things down, as I discovered. I now use Lightroom's lens profiles for distortion correction.
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

But if you meant auto-focus calibration then the answer is a little different. The k-x has only a single global adjustment.
Let me amplify that a little.

There is no official "AF fine adjustment" on the K-x,
so if you do want the single global adjustment,
you have to use a debug hack (at your own risk).

I've usually used the CDAF from live view
for critical accuracy on the K-x.