Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

First time purchasing lens, need advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys, I have a k100d with the stock lens and I'm looking to buy an additional lens. I think I would be looking for something like f2.8 around 20-50mm or something of the like. I would like to use it for taking close range portraits and maybe some macro pictures with it. I don't know much about what kind of lens to look for but I am on a tight budget, so the cheaper the better (I'm a student so I'm not made of money). Looking for used, is buying on ebay OK? Where else would I want to look? I've scoped out the local camera shops around here and they don't seem to have anything unless I want to buy a new lens. Could someone recommend a brand/model? Thanks!

02-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the tamron 28-75 F2.8 is a good quality lens, fast, and a little longer than what you have suggested, but very flattering for portraits.
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What is your budget? The max you are willing to spend? That will give us a better idea as to what to suggest for ya.
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well I'd like to spend around $100, but I'm not sure of what kind of quality I could get for $100 - this probably seems like pocket change to most people on this forum. I could spend up to $200 to ensure that I was getting quality, but like I said before, I would rather spend less, I'm just not sure where my personal line is for quality. I'm not looking into selling my pictures or displaying them or anything like that. I just want to have another lens to play around with and I would see this purchase as more of a purchase of curiosity than a purchase of a lens for the future.

02-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

you might want to look for a Pentax "A" version 28 mm F2.8 and maybe a set of extension tubes for your macro needs, you may be able to snag those for $100, maybe a little more. Or maybe a 50 MM f1.7
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if your looking for used, there's always the marketplace here, B&H or Adorama's used selections, or KEH.com. Good luck!
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For a 100, nothing is better than the Pentax FA 28-70/4, good zoom range and IQ.

02-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

get a fast 50 for indoor portraits

I have and like the 18-55 kit lens. Its fine for general stuff and outdoor pics.

But for indoor snapshots/portraits I hardly ever take the FA50/1.4 off the camera. For indoor no-flash pics you can boost the ISO to 800 and shoot away. great for birthday cake/candle shots etc...

If you dont mind manual focus which works fine with a little practice, you can get an A50/1.7 or A50/1.4

or even the M50mm's if you dont mind shooting in manual metering mode.

here are some options at keh.com right now.
FA50mm f/1.7 $165US

lots of manual focus 50mm lenses from $99 bargain to $150 EX+

-k
02-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one of these Vivitar 28mm f2.8, and it's among my best lenses. It's only $45 used at KEH
I'm having troubles accessing my website from this computer, but if you go in my gallery, landscapes and click on Autumn Jewel you'll have a good idea of the picture quality with the lens.

I don't know what else to suggest at the moment.
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I say go with the kit lens, which you can pick up gently used for around $50 or so. You'll still have enough money to pick up a set of extension tubes (cheap on eBay) and a SMC-A 50/2 or 1.7, which will work with the extension tubes and also serve as a low light lens. Sure the SMC-A lenses are manual focus, but unless you're shooting fast moving objects, then manual focus isn't that big of a deal. KEH is good, but they can be a little pricey in comparison to buying off of eBay or the Marketplace. One good thing with the Marketplace is that you find something that you're really interested in and the price on it is just a little bit more than you want to pay for it, then you may be able to dicker with the seller and get the price down to where you want it.

Later on, when you get some more money, you have several good choices in the way of telephoto zooms--the DA 50-200, Tamron 70-300, Sigma 70-300 APO, & F70-210 which can be all be had used for under $200, usually in the neighborhood of $150.

I generally don't see much in the way of extension tubes on the Marketplace, but I do see manual 50s and 18-55 kit lenses on there fairly regularly, so keep an eye out for a good deal.

HTH,
Heather
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

By "kit lens" I am assuming you mean the DA 18-50. Its not a bad lens. There are better, but it is a great kit lens.

What should YOU do? No idea. What I did was to buy a SMC-M 50 1.4 as my "next" lens. It works great with the K100D. Gives you low light abilities to brag about. A quality prime should be in everyones bag. The M series cost allot less then the A series. The SMC-M 28 2.8 is also a nice lens. It is close to being a "normal" lens on the K100D.

Be carfull about buying some of the ricoh and sears lenses. They have an extra pin that can cause the lens to get stuck on the camera.

The old Takumar lenses can be great deals. You will need to get an adaptor, but it might be worth it. Allot of people like to use the Takumars on their K100D because they are able to use the lens with aperature priority, instead of manual. Google the topic. The takumar's are beautiful lenses to use. When people say "they don't make them like that anymore" they are taking about the old takumars. There are three types. "takumar". "super takumar" and "smc takumar". They get better in that order.

Eric
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's a good deal...
SIGMA 28-70mm UC ZOOM LENS FOR PENTAX PKA-MOUNT CAMERAS - eBay (item 120227688632 end time Mar-06-08 08:31:38 PST)
I had another version of the same lens that was very good--I don't know if mine was newer or older than this one, but for $34.99 + shipping, it's not a bad deal. This seller is also willing to take offers, so you may be able to get it for less.

HTH,
Heather