Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
F 17-28mm Fish-Eye sample?

hello, please have anyone SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye, i can buy it and i need wide angle lens for landscape... my first chose was da15, but it is too expensive, that i am looking for less expensive option.

please, can anyone send mi full res pic of landscape, if is possible with dirrect sunlight? if it will be RAW, it will be perfect...

i wanna try to fix dissorbtion and if it is possible to use...
thx buddies! )

02-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are all of my images of various subjects with the lens. It's a keeper and I also like to use it with film.

F17-28 - a set on Flickr

OTOH, if you want a cheaper wide angle lens, you might consider the Tokina 19-35 lens. It's not fisheye and gives very nice results.
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's usable on APS-C too any quite creative to use. You can really play with perspective.
It's great of tree shots!
Flickr: A.Sundell's stuff tagged with pentaxf1728mm3545smcfisheye

Flickr: A.Sundell's stuff tagged with pentaxf17283545smcfisheye
Portraiture is good from 20-28mm

And I've used it for sports too!

02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice images and those too show what this lens can do.

02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you, guys, my problem is, that i now have A28/2,8 and ii is great, but not wide enought. my first choice was sigma 10-20, but it is too big and then i am looking for da15... (for size and extremly good performance in direct light--- stars.. oh...). few days ago i saw this fish eye for circa 250$ and i was thinking, that if i can perfectly correct fish-eye barrel effect, that will by great for me... i dont know, what do you think? guys?? )
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bricamry Quote
thank you, guys, my problem is, that i now have A28/2,8 and ii is great, but not wide enought. my first choice was sigma 10-20, but it is too big and then i am looking for da15... (for size and extremly good performance in direct light--- stars.. oh...). few days ago i saw this fish eye for circa 250$ and i was thinking, that if i can perfectly correct fish-eye barrel effect, that will by great for me... i dont know, what do you think? guys?? )
I see no reason for this lens if you don't want to play with the distortion. You will just lose image quality and cut away large parts of the image. Why not get the 18-55 instead in that case? If you get this lens I recommend you to work with the lens characteristics instead against it, it's named fisheye for a reason. There are loads of people shooting landscapes with fisheyes without correcting the distortion.
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

The 17-28 is a full frame (24 x 36 mm) lens so the fish-eye effect is not terribly pronounced on an APS-C sensor camera. You may often not have to do any correctlion at all. Here are some samples I took way back when which illustrates the coverage.
02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have and shoot with this lens on both film and APS-C , On film its wonderful, on the digital the crop does reduce back its "wideangleness". I found from comparison, it takes in the same angle of view on digital as my 12-24 sigma rectilinear wide angle. I did pics with both with the camera on a tripod to compare before I went to Cambodia in 2009, as I was trying to "Pack Lite". Because the 17-28 had the same field of view as the 12mm I took it, but have regretted that decision as to de-fish the sheer number of photos I wanted to ... It just wasn't worth the time and hassle of all the PS work it in my opinion for me, when a rectilinear lens will give you exactly what you want straight out of the camera. I still use and love this lens, for the image it produces as its still a stellar little lens.

02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a really interesting lens that was unique to Pentax when it came out (fisheye zoom). It's sharp, very flare resistant and light. After comparing it and using side by side with a Zenitar 16mm, I returned the FE17-28 mostly due to usage preference and design/built quality. For me the IQ of the two was close (but the Z flares badly in comparison). I found that I could not trust the AF with this lens (K20D) - on critical inspection, the focus would often be slightly off. Switching to MF solved that except that the focus feel is non-existent, and just moving the camera around you could throw the focus off .. infinity was the kicker though, you'd probably have to tape it to set it there. If I remember it focuses just past infinity, so real world use swayed me over to the Zenitar, even if it "wobbles" slightly, it still produces consistently good & sharp results. (Anybody have a link for DIY Zenitar "tuneup" ?)

In retrospect I should have kept it and may have well doubled my money$ on resale .. lol c'est la vie!
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, thank you guys... this is not lens for me...you are right... yes i use sometimes my 18-55 @20mm F16, but i think, that quality is not as good as i want to... terrible... okay... i will save money for DA15... very thanks! your posts was priceless! )
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh, thank you guys... this is not lens for me...you are right... yes i use sometimes my 18-55 @20mm F16, but i think, that quality is not as good as i want to... terrible... okay... i will save money for DA15... very thanks! your posts was priceless! )
F16 is in the diffraction zone so you will lose peak sharpness no matter the lens.

The lens starts to loose peak sharpness at F11: Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR - Lab Test / Review - Analysis
So do the 15mm: Pentax SMC-DA 15mm f/4 AL ED Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
F16 is in the diffraction zone so you will lose peak sharpness no matter the lens.

The lens starts to loose peak sharpness at F11: Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR - Lab Test / Review - Analysis
So do the 15mm: Pentax SMC-DA 15mm f/4 AL ED Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
okay, you are right... i made own test... Recenze: PENTAX DA 18-55mm - bricamry.cz and it is true, on F11 is the best... but on F16 is not that bad... imho...