Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
thanks, the most confusing thing was what I would be required to do using each.

Which F lens are you guys talking about? Not the 70-210 hopefully!

Also, some Vivitar Series 1(2.8-4, Komine) reviews say they have the A setting. Does someone have a picture of what that looks like? Is it just the aperture ring?
The 'A' setting is on the aperture ring. On most lenses you will need to press a button to move the ring into or out of the A position.

You should be careful about third party lenses with the A setting. Many were made for both Pentax and Ricoh (P/K-AR) and will have the dread 'Ricoh' pin. Most such lenses are not dangerous to a Pentax AF camera, but some will become stuck.

Ricoh Pin - a set on Flickr

02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 'A' setting is on the aperture ring. On most lenses you will need to press a button to move the ring into or out of the A position.

You should be careful about third party lenses with the A setting. Many were made for both Pentax and Ricoh (P/K-AR) and will have the dread 'Ricoh' pin. Most such lenses are not dangerous to a Pentax AF camera, but some will become stuck.

Ricoh Pin - a set on Flickr
Thanks, I forgot about that!
02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Doesn't anyone know what "auto-aperture" means any more? Don't confuse auto-aperture with capability to use shutter-priority exposure mode (that is what all of those round contacts are for on the mounts of the A, F, FA, D FA, and DA lenses). Auto-aperture just means that you don't have to perform stop-down-metering (look it up). Auto-aperture was introduced in later M42 lenses (in the 1960s or '70s?).

F = Autofocus, shutter-priority capable, auto-aperture
FA = Autofocus, shutter-priority capable, auto-aperture
A = manual focus, shutter-priority capable (all have an "A" setting), auto-aperture
M42 = manual focus, later lenses have auto-aperture; earlier lenses with manual aperture means you can't use the green button -- you have to stop-down the aperture (viewfinder becomes dimmer as you stop down),

K = manual focus, auto-aperture, use green button
MK = manual focus, auto-aperture, use green button

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 02-27-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: omission
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a K-01 perspective:

F/FA/DA - autofocus, auto-aperture, all modes supported

A - manual focus, auto-aperture, all modes supported with lens aperture set to 'A', if not set to 'A', then behavior is like K/M.

K / M - manual focus, aperture held wide open in all modes except manual, metering through manual mode with green button only

M42 - manual focus, completely manual aperture, manual mode + manual ISO = green button metering only, manual mode + auto ISO = continuous metering, camera seems to push ISO as high as possible and keep shutter speed around 1/125.

Video behavior also changes with the lens types, but I don't know enough about video to write it up.

Last edited by THoog; 02-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.
02-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MTF priority (to choose the best aperture for the lens) for certain automatic exposure modes was introduced with the FA series.
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a complete explanation, with photographs, of the five versions of Vivitar Series 1 70~210 ZOOMS. The one you want is version 3. Take care, though. It has the Ricoh pin.

The rest of the equipment section is a tremendous resource on current and legacy Pentax gear.

There was quite a bit more on Pentax Gear posted by members of the PDML (Pentax Discuss Mailing List), a List_Share in the late 90's and early 2000's but some of it has gone dark. Google can be your friend if you suffer from OCD.

Like me.