Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Stu and Javier:

Thanks for the additional information. Would you happen to have any experience with Sigma's 28-70, too? That lens costs a little more than a hundred dollars less here compared to Sigma's own 24-70.

It's great that there are helpful people like you here in the forums.

02-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Stu....
Those colors are so vibrant and Rich!!!!
03-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #33
Forum Member

awesome pictures.

While browsing these pics, some of these places looked familiar to me. alhambra and downtown area.

I'm considering picking up this lens soon too. Does anyone know if theres a big difference between the ex and ex dg lens?
03-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes, those photos were taken in beautiful downtown Alhambra....At least the ones I took are...I have the DG Macro version of the lens. From what I understand, the other version was discontinued...

I will tell you what....I am really loving this lens...My only complaint is that it is a tad slow in auto focus, but the use of CRV-3 batteries really helped that problem in my baby K's and the the Auto Focus is better on the Papa and Mama K's (K20d and K10d)...Here are a few more images I took at the Alhambra Farmers market...These pics have been resized or cropped, but thats it...No PP required on these...

Last edited by jgredline; 03-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Yes, There is some lens flare. But to be fair, I had a giant greasy fingerprint on the side of the lens closest to the Body when I took this pic...I have since then added a UV filter to it and seems to have cured the problem...Personally, I think a bigger lens hood would be the answer to that, but then what do I know..
you are correct with respect to flair and lens hood. you will note this is a DG lens,. i.e. FULL FRAME. the hood is designed for the field of view for 35mm film format and is undersized substantially for an ASP-C DSLR.

I have been wondering if anyone makes aftermarket hoods for FF lensed used on ASP-C sensors.

There has to be a market there, I own 3 full frame zooms with tulip hoods. (I won't mention my other lenses.
03-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 28-70 f2.8

I have the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 DF EX zoom.
Large FF lens with a clutch to disengage AF. Manual focus is smooth and gives accurate results on my K100D. Bought this to replace a Pentax A 50mm f2.0 I was using for indoor natural light shots.
Lens is sharp from end to end, reproduces very natural skin tones and shows little barrel distortion. Excellent buy for AU$260 new with local warranty.
Regard this lens as my indoor and evening walkabout. Example of indoor available light
shot attahed.
Garth
Attached Images

03-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh man, that would look SO out of place on my ZX-30.

Sweet lens, enjoy it!
03-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
I have the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 DF EX zoom.
Large FF lens with a clutch to disengage AF. Manual focus is smooth and gives accurate results on my K100D. Bought this to replace a Pentax A 50mm f2.0 I was using for indoor natural light shots.
Lens is sharp from end to end, reproduces very natural skin tones and shows little barrel distortion. Excellent buy for AU$260 new with local warranty.
Regard this lens as my indoor and evening walkabout. Example of indoor available light
shot attahed.
Garth
Thanks for this Garth. Looks to be the case that as long as you get a good copy, Sigma's standard zoom EX lenses are up to scratch.