Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Unfortunately the Sigma 12-24 is a "bubble" lens with the front element protruding about an inch or so. the lens cap is a 2 part hood/cap which has a thread for 82mm filters, but it creates nasty black corners >16mm if you use it even if you use a slim 82mm filter-- plus you'll never get it off again (learned this the hard way)

I understand the simple concept of "walking around more" but sometimes when shooting things like waterfalls while dangling over the edge of cliffs or perched on the only rock in the middle of a stream, it's not possible.

I have a sigma 10-20 that I've given to my girlfriend becuase after f8 it starts turning to mush, how are the FA 20-35 and the DA21 in the f11-f16 range?

One of the things I love about the DA15 (and the FA primes I have now) is that at F16 even F22 they are still pretty darn sharp, diffraction is barely noticeable. That's one of the main reasons I went with the FA primes and got rid of my Sigma 24-70, I like/need to shoot in the f11-f22 range most of the time.

02-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Unfortunately the Sigma 12-24 is a "bubble" lens with the front element protruding about an inch or so. the lens cap is a 2 part hood/cap which has a thread for 82mm filters, but it creates nasty black corners >16mm if you use it even if you use a slim 82mm filter-- plus you'll never get it off again (learned this the hard way)

I understand the simple concept of "walking around more" but sometimes when shooting things like waterfalls while dangling over the edge of cliffs or perched on the only rock in the middle of a stream, it's not possible.

I have a sigma 10-20 that I've given to my girlfriend becuase after f8 it starts turning to mush, how are the FA 20-35 and the DA21 in the f11-f16 range?

One of the things I love about the DA15 (and the FA primes I have now) is that at F16 even F22 they are still pretty darn sharp, diffraction is barely noticeable. That's one of the main reasons I went with the FA primes and got rid of my Sigma 24-70, I like/need to shoot in the f11-f22 range most of the time.
OK, I didn't know that about the Sigma 12-24, glad I got the Pentax instead. As far as small aperture and the FA 20-35 is concerned, I haven't shot it much above F16. In my single-in-october album I linked above the butterfly/flower shot is at F16 and the vignetted macro shot is at F20. The vignette in that shot came from the Raynox 250 diopter clipped on the lens, at 35mm it doesn't vignette, but at 20mm it certainly does! The vignette in that shot actually enhances it a bit, I think. At the very least I can say there is little or no visible diffraction in the center portion of the lens. If you go thu the album there are a multitude of shots at F13, don't know if that will help you in your decision or not.

NaCl( the other thing I like about the 20-35 is that it's a very good close focusing lens)H2O