Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 28-70mm f 2.8 - Any good?

For some time I've been contemplating buying a lens for portraiture (specifically, taking photos of my 2 1/2 yr-old granddaughter). I've been researching this forum, and there is a lot of good information on portrait lenses, ranging from the Tamron 28 - 75, FA 77 mm Ltd, DA 70 mm Ltd, DA*55 mm f1.4 and many others of all brands and focal lengths. However, in the meantime, I have rediscovered a Sigma 28-70 EX f2.8 zoom, which I used sparingly in my film camera days. Mention of the Tamron caused me to think about the Sigma, being of approximately the same FL range, and I wondered if anyone on this forum has any experience with this lens, and whether it would make a decent portrait lens until I can buy a more "dedicated" portrait prime.

I would also welcome any suggestions as to which primes I should consider for child portraits.

02-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
For some time I've been contemplating buying a lens for portraiture (specifically, taking photos of my 2 1/2 yr-old granddaughter). I've been researching this forum, and there is a lot of good information on portrait lenses, ranging from the Tamron 28 - 75, FA 77 mm Ltd, DA 70 mm Ltd, DA*55 mm f1.4 and many others of all brands and focal lengths. However, in the meantime, I have rediscovered a Sigma 28-70 EX f2.8 zoom, which I used sparingly in my film camera days. Mention of the Tamron caused me to think about the Sigma, being of approximately the same FL range, and I wondered if anyone on this forum has any experience with this lens, and whether it would make a decent portrait lens until I can buy a more "dedicated" portrait prime.

I would also welcome any suggestions as to which primes I should consider for child portraits.
There are reviews of it in the lens database, and they are quite favorable. I had the Tamron 28-75, and it is excellent, but since you already have the Sigma, use it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. As for primes, the DA70 is quite good.

02-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

i own this lens couple years ago, and im totaly satisfied with the result,
if you are looking a prime lens then 43 limited or DA 55/1,4 its suit with your demand,
because take a childs foto is rather difficult, they move all over the place, you gonna need fast AF to catch it
02-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
take a childs foto is rather difficult, they move all over the place, you gonna need fast AF to catch it
You said it! They are rather nippy, aren't they!

Beautiful photo, kenafein!

And thanks

02-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote

I have used a version of the Sigma 28-70 F2.8 DL EX. Excellent for portraits.

Cheers
bb2
02-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Banned

I just gave my Sigma 28-70 away on the sale line - so to state, but...

I still have nothing but good things to state about the 28-70. It lasted though over two years of physically demanding professional level use and many (literally) thousands of pics.

I replaced it with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8