Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

43mm + Hoya NXT UV filter

Hello All,

Does anyone use a UV filter on their 43m 1.9? I ordered a Hoya NXT HMC UV filter and am wondering what if anything it will do to my photos.

Thank you.

02-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should not do much of anything. UV filters are not needed with digital like they were on film. Depending on the quality of the filter there will be some degradation of image quality, usually not noticeable with high quality filters in most situations. Should also be a slight loss of light, but again probably not noticeable or even measurable.

The only value a UV filter has on digital is protecting the front element of the lens and there is intense debate on whether they help or hamper in that capacity. There are also completely clear 'lens protection' filters available if you feel the need. I don't use filters on any of my lenses, but if you feel more comfortable with one then get a good quality clear or UV one.
02-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There is an endless debate about filters, but try this:

Make detailed comparisons with and without the filter. Under normal circumstances the photos should be identical, and if you can't tell them apart, don't worry about image degradation. If the filtered photos are worse, don't use the filter.

In extreme flare situations, assuming a physically safe environment, I'd remove even a multi-coated filter. Otherwise, I do use filters for lens protection, because I can't detect degradation from using them.

Paul
02-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you. I will shoot some tests asap.