Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #136
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
It is only fair to follow up on what one starts. right?

I think it is a "viable" solution, as you say.
No doubt in my mind that this could well be a very, very good copy (the seller's sample shots are great) and that it could be workhorse for the next season.

That'll be a a change from the DA*300/4 (small and perfect, in some ways - and of course I am keeping it) but I am stubborn and will give the lens a very thorough workout.


A the end of the day, pictures will tell.

Thanks for your reply.

03-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #137
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Looking forward to seeing shots from both the 150-500 and the 50-500...
03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #138
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
Just received the lens: looks and feels like a tank!
But, it is nevertheless not that bad to handhold. I spite of the weight, I found that it balances quite well on the K5 + grip.

I took some "test" shots, just to try and get the hang of it, and I was actaully surprised that a far away church cross came out very acceptable in terms of sharpness at 500mm (F8).
However, there is a learning curve for small birds in the backyard ... not much success yet but that will obviously get better.

As I mentioned, I will post some shots here when the weather permits: still overcast and snowy here - not a good time for them small birdies!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 03-22-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #139
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
I have tried the 150-500 before and yes, it is certainly a handful, but in a good way to me. One feature that I really like about these lenses is when you use the lens OS, it stabilizes your view in the viewfinder - really helps with the old crippled up hands.

My borrowed 50-150 also just arrived a few minutes ago - going to be tough but have to wait until next Thursday to try it out as my K-5 is on its way back from CRIS.

03-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #140
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just received the lens: looks and feels like a tank!
But, it is nevertheless not that bad to handhold. I spite of the weight, I found that it balances quite well on the K5 + grip.

I took some "test" shots, just to try and get the hang of it, and I was actaully surprised that a far away church cross came out very acceptable in terms of sharpness at 500mm (F8).
However, there is a learning curve for small birds in the backyard ... not much success yet but that will obviously get better.

As I mentioned, I will post some shots here when the weather permits: still overcast and snowy here - not a good time for them small birdies!

JP
Yes, F8 is the sweetspot for this lens. Once used to the lens one can obtain very good results:

Handheld, no support: Long ears | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Handheld, supported on knee: Common Chaffinch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you can shoot an unstabilised 300mm handheld w/o too much trouble, you will master this lens very quickly due to the OS. Congrats and looking forward to see your results.
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #141
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have tried the 150-500 before and yes, it is certainly a handful, but in a good way to me. One feature that I really like about these lenses is when you use the lens OS, it stabilizes your view in the viewfinder - really helps with the old crippled up hands.

My borrowed 50-150 also just arrived a few minutes ago - going to be tough but have to wait until next Thursday to try it out as my K-5 is on its way back from CRIS.
You just reminded me that this lens has OS ! I haven't even turned it on yet.

Looking forward to your pics with the BigmOS.

JP
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #142
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Yes, F8 is the sweetspot for this lens. Once used to the lens one can obtain very good results:

Handheld, no support: Long ears | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Handheld, supported on knee: Common Chaffinch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you can shoot an unstabilised 300mm handheld w/o too much trouble, you will master this lens very quickly due to the OS. Congrats and looking forward to see your results.
Excellent images!
I am surprised that they were (both) taken at 500mm because of the details.
This is very close in IQ to the DA*300/4.
As I said earlier, I had forgotten that this lens has OS.

How do you deal with that? Turn the camera SR OFF and the lens OS ON?
Do it then use much more battery?

JP
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #143
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Yes - turn the lens OS on and the camera SR off. I felt that the lens OS was more effective, plus as I said, it gives you a stabilized view in the viewfinder. You'll probably be a little surprised when you first try it. If set to function 1 for the OS, it is at idle until you half press the shutter button. Then you will feel it spin up - once it is spun up you won't notice it much.

It will use more battery power of course, but not enough to be of concern unless you have it on constantly.

03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #144
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yes - turn the lens OS on and the camera SR off. I felt that the lens OS was more effective, plus as I said, it gives you a stabilized view in the viewfinder. You'll probably be a little surprised when you first try it. If set to function 1 for the OS, it is at idle until you half press the shutter button. Then you will feel it spin up - once it is spun up you won't notice it much.

It will use more battery power of course, but not enough to be of concern unless you have it on constantly.
Alright then. We shall proceed accordingly.

Thanks for the hint(s).

JP
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #145
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Excellent images!
I am surprised that they were (both) taken at 500mm because of the details.
This is very close in IQ to the DA*300/4.
As I said earlier, I had forgotten that this lens has OS.

How do you deal with that? Turn the camera SR OFF and the lens OS ON?
Do it then use much more battery?

JP
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yes - turn the lens OS on and the camera SR off. I felt that the lens OS was more effective, plus as I said, it gives you a stabilized view in the viewfinder. You'll probably be a little surprised when you first try it. If set to function 1 for the OS, it is at idle until you half press the shutter button. Then you will feel it spin up - once it is spun up you won't notice it much.

It will use more battery power of course, but not enough to be of concern unless you have it on constantly.
Thanks and yes, SR off and OS on. You will hear a little sound when the OS becomes active and also when becoming inactive. And I agree with stormtech that it is more effective then SR, especially above 300mm.
The chaffinch is a 40% crop, I guess I have a good specimen of this lens.
03-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #146
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St.-Petersburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 145
I have asked the Sigma manager about both of these lenses (50-150 and 50-500). Here is his answer:
"They are both very sharp lenses and I believe will produce better even IQ than you old lens (old 50-500 - Grokh). It’s hard to pick one over another when it comes to IQ but I personally prefer the 50-500mm DG OS HSM for better IQ".
03-24-2013, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Here is a couple reference shots as I noted the D7100 with the sigma 300 2.8 and TC earlier in the thread. Shot these yesterday...

Sigma 300 2.8, Sigma 1.4 TC, D7100 1.3 Crop Mode (546mm total, 420 with TC and 1.3 multiplier)
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/1250, Handheld
OOC Jpeg, Flat Zeroed Out No Sharpening or Color Adjustments
4800x3200 Sized To 1000 Long Side of Image


Same as above, cropped to 1600 width (1/3) and sized to 1000 long side


A shot to show detail - this was done with the Sigma 300 2.8, no TC and using the 1.3 mode, no cropping, was able to get right up on this one:
03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #148
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
Photos will be in soon ... iin the meantime:

I will post some pics, soon I hope, with the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM.

This is a bit out of the main discussion of this thread:
In the meantime, I am also looking into a lens plate for this heavy lens.
I have checked a few places, including Wimberley, Kirk, Jobu Design, RRS and Kiwifoto and since the lens "foot" has only one screw hole, I am wondering which one to get.
The lens foot is 10cm (4 inches)
And I assume that I have to get a plate that has only one screw, right?

Note: the built-in lens foot of the Sigma 150-500 does fit perfectly on any of my Arca-Swiss compatible tripod/monopod heads but I am afraid the mounting and unmouting will eventually wear the paint job of the lens foot, hence the need for the plate.

They all run at about $55-58, except for the Kiwifoto which is only $18 , which makes me wonder if it is a cheap make.

Can someone barge in to suggest something for this specific lens?

Thanks and I'll be back soon with those pics.

JP

@joe.penn: great pic of the heron.
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #149
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,454
Rainbowimaging on ebay has always been fine for me, I think they might actually sell the kiwi plates but nothing wrong with the ones that I have after 2 years or so of use.
03-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #150
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Rainbowimaging on ebay has always been fine for me, I think they might actually sell the kiwi plates but nothing wrong with the ones that I have after 2 years or so of use.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Rainbow Imaging has the Kiwifoto LP-100 (4 inches) for $18.95 and the LP150 (longer) for $22.99.

As long as it fits and is solid, I sure don't mind spending less than for the other brands.

JP
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, combo, da*300/4, iq, k-mount, lens, lenses, note, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, tele, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me choose a xmas present for myself sogden Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 10-25-2011 11:44 AM
Help me choose my Pentax lens selection Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:01 PM
Help me choose a 3 lens setup for overseas trip! catastrophe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 10-16-2010 12:31 AM
Help me choose a camera for my wife sholtzma Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-16-2009 05:37 PM
Please help me choose a new lens for my K100D missnewzealand Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-14-2008 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top