Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,649
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have tried the 150-500 before and yes, it is certainly a handful, but in a good way to me. One feature that I really like about these lenses is when you use the lens OS, it stabilizes your view in the viewfinder - really helps with the old crippled up hands.

My borrowed 50-150 also just arrived a few minutes ago - going to be tough but have to wait until next Thursday to try it out as my K-5 is on its way back from CRIS.
stan what did they say about your k5

03-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #167
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
There will be more images very soon when I figure this glitch about loading images here though ..
Any chances of posting some BIF's taken with that setup?
03-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #168
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Any chances of posting some BIF's taken with that setup?
Yes there will be some BIF shots soon enough ... of gulls and ravens/crows/small birds maybe after this long weekend (Easter).
I have one to post if I get the chance today: a Cooper Hawk in flight on the second day I had the lens.
Not a great shot but I will post it nevertheless.

Still having a tough time to post several pictures at once when using the "manage attachments" option in the forum.
I get a connection problem for whatever reason.

.... I'll ask Adam for help.

JP
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #169
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
stan what did they say about your k5
The same as the other one - camera was back focusing - they adjusted it to "optimal resolution". It's taking forever to get back here via UPS - 6 days and counting. I'm going to send you a PM once I get it back at test it.

03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #170
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I just clicked on "View picture EXIF" and it sent me to the main forum page !!
So weird!
I refreshed the screen and now it is behaving OK.

There will be more images very soon when I figure this glitch about loading images here though ...

Cheers for now.
The initial images look good JP. The first set being wide open(?) @500mm hand held look pretty good being that is at the lens worst. The set @f8 look good and crisp.

My K-5 is due to be delivered back from CRIS today or tomorrow - looks like the weather might be nice enough to try the 50-500 on the gimbal head on Saturday (wind chills still in the 20's here....). But first I need to test the camera to be sure if it is right now or not.
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #171
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
Yes, they look very decent. IQ looks about the same as my specimen. I`m curious to see your BIF`s.
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #172
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,683
I don't know how you can judge anything by looking at these small photos. I sent the 150-500mm back because it was sharp at 300mm, but 100% crops at 500mm were not sharp, even stopped down to f8.
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #173
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know how you can judge anything by looking at these small photos. I sent the 150-500mm back because it was sharp at 300mm, but 100% crops at 500mm were not sharp, even stopped down to f8.
Not trying to judge anything based on "small" photos: just providing sample shots at different settings.
There will be more, trust me.

What would you say is a good "sample" size, image wise? Maybe I can accomodate that in a different way? Perhaps post some in Flickr at higher res.?

I personally found that the sweet spot for this particular lens is F9. The more light, the better too.
My samples seem to suffer from overcast skies as well .... but that's not an excuse, it it?

I did some 100% cropping, at home, of some shots at 500mm: the images are not sharp once cropped that much, but still look fairly good at 50-60% cropping.

What did you end up getting to replace your lens?

Cheers.

JP

03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #174
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The initial images look good JP. The first set being wide open(?) @500mm hand held look pretty good being that is at the lens worst. The set @f8 look good and crisp.

My K-5 is due to be delivered back from CRIS today or tomorrow - looks like the weather might be nice enough to try the 50-500 on the gimbal head on Saturday (wind chills still in the 20's here....). But first I need to test the camera to be sure if it is right now or not.
The first images of this "series" are the very first I ever took with this lens.
There is a learning curve though, albeit not as bad as I first thought.

I look forward to see your shots at 500mm with the Bigma.
Hope you get your K5 soon!

JP
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #175
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Yes, they look very decent. IQ looks about the same as my specimen. I`m curious to see your BIF`s.
I'll post that BIF (hawk) shot tonight.
I might also have a gull shot "BIF" .... I'll look into that too.

JP
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #176
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,683
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I personally found that the sweet spot for this particular lens is F9. The more light, the better too.
My samples seem to suffer from overcast skies as well .... but that's not an excuse, it it?

I did some 100% cropping, at home, of some shots at 500mm: the images are not sharp once cropped that much, but still look fairly good at 50-60% cropping.

What did you end up getting to replace your lens?
After returning the Sigma, I bought a DA*300mm. I also have a Kenko 1.5X TC. Light is very hard to come by up here in Northern Ontario. In winter and in the evening, often have to use the DA300 wide open, no TC.
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #177
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
After returning the Sigma, I bought a DA*300mm. I also have a Kenko 1.5X TC. Light is very hard to come by up here in Northern Ontario. In winter and in the evening, often have to use the DA300 wide open, no TC.
Funny that you did the opposite I did: I first bought a DA*300/4 then a 1.7X TC ....
decided later that it might be a good idea to get a 500mm lens.

The reason for this thread, at least the later part of it, is to see what difference this lens (150-500) will make when compared with the DA*300 + TC (=510mm).

If you go back to the beginning of the thread, you will see that I was at one time considering the Sigma 300/2.8 + TC.
Budget decided otherwise!

We have similar lighting conditions here too ... something often difficult to deal with.

JP
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #178
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,683
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Funny that you did the opposite I did: I first bought a DA*300/4 then a 1.7X TC ....
decided later that it might be a good idea to get a 500mm lens.
Nice to have both. I'll be interested in seeing the comparison. I'm so anxious for the Pentax TC, it's making me ill. The Kenko AF is very spotty.
03-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #179
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,256
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice to have both. I'll be interested in seeing the comparison. I'm so anxious for the Pentax TC, it's making me ill. The Kenko AF is very spotty.
Hi again, Dan.

The Pentax 1.7x adapter works quite nicely with the DA*300/4.
I've posted some pics a while back ... not sure where they are though.

Oh ... here they are: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/218748-nature-redpolls-f...ing-510mm.html

Now I am doing some shots with the Siggy 150-500 and we will see how that fares.

Cheers.

JP
03-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #180
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice to have both. I'll be interested in seeing the comparison. I'm so anxious for the Pentax TC, it's making me ill. The Kenko AF is very spotty.
Yeah - JP and I are kind of going through this together. We both have DA*300's and looking to get more reach while trying to keep the best IQ we can. I think if that elusive Pentax TC were available to us, we probably wouldn't be going through all these trials.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, combo, da*300/4, iq, k-mount, lens, lenses, note, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, tele, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me choose a xmas present for myself sogden Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 10-25-2011 11:44 AM
Help me choose my Pentax lens selection Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:01 PM
Help me choose a 3 lens setup for overseas trip! catastrophe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 10-16-2010 12:31 AM
Help me choose a camera for my wife sholtzma Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-16-2009 05:37 PM
Please help me choose a new lens for my K100D missnewzealand Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-14-2008 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top