Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #91
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Just to clarify, since it's hard to figure from the sigma charts, with a pentax mount the 1.4 TC gives you autofocus using the sigma 300 2.8? The lens is screw af, is it not? Does the TC have a screw af mechanism?

I'm asking because every time I look I come to a different conclusion

Derek
Good posts: I am getting the same confusing "conclusions".

JP

03-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #92
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
Does anyone here have pics of their setup with a K5+ Sigma 300/2.8 + TC on a tripod/monopod without a Gimgall head?

Thanks!

JP
03-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #93
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,475
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
not the type of lens I would carry along on trails.
You will get no argument from me...

...show me how to get, consistently, within 10 feet of a wild bird out in the field that is 1/3 the size of my fist with a short hand-held tele, and also give me the quality I want, and I would switch over in a heart beat.


Full frame for scale and a very severe crop. I'm at my limits so far as quality is concerned with this crop.

Cape May Warbler in full spring breeding plumage.
4.5" from head to tail. Weight - 1/4 oz
Distance about 25 feet. In over 50 years of birding this is the closest I ever got to a breeding Cape May in the wild.

Last edited by wildman; 03-16-2013 at 05:50 AM.
03-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,699
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good posts: I am getting the same confusing "conclusions".

JP
Add me to your list of "confused ones" - Does the Sigma 300 2.8 autofocus when used with a Sigma TC and a K-5? Is anyone using the this combination with autofocus operational?

03-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #95
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Just to clarify, since it's hard to figure from the sigma charts, with a pentax mount the 1.4 TC gives you autofocus using the sigma 300 2.8? The lens is screw af, is it not? Does the TC have a screw af mechanism?

I'm asking because every time I look I come to a different conclusion

Yes, the Sigma 1.4 TC (In Pentax Mount) is a screw drive AF TC - this is why the Sigma TC compatibility chart for TC's shows it works for AF only under the lenses that deploy the screw drive AF system (for pentax type sigma lenses [300 2.8]).


QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Does anyone here have pics of their setup with a K5+ Sigma 300/2.8 + TC on a tripod/monopod without a Gimgall head?

Thanks!

JP
I use this lens combo in Nikon mount - maybe @cmohr can chime in again and show a pic of his setup.


QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Add me to your list of "confused ones" - Does the Sigma 300 2.8 autofocus when used with a Sigma TC and a K-5? Is anyone using the this combination with autofocus operational?
Yes - there is a number of users on the forums here that uses that combo. A couple pages back you can see results from @cmohr using this combo.
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
You will get no argument from me...

...show me how to get, consistently, within 10 feet of a wild bird out in the field that is 1/3 the size of my fist with a short hand-held tele, and also give me the quality I want, and I would switch over in a heart beat.


Full frame for scale and a very severe crop. I'm at my limits so far as quality is concerned with this crop.

Cape May Warbler in full spring breeding plumage.
4.5" from head to tail. Weight - 1/4 oz
Distance about 25 feet. In over 50 years of birding this is the closest I ever got to a breeding Cape May in the wild.
No argument here either, wildman.

Just that I find this setup quite large/long for me ... your shot of the warbler proves that you can handle it very well, something I would have a tough time doing.

Mind you, I just might get into "trouble" with a Siggy 300/8 and a TC ... that would be quite "large" as well.

Great shot!

JP
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #97
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
Similair quest here...also considering the sigma 300 F2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Add me to your list of "confused ones" - Does the Sigma 300 2.8 autofocus when used with a Sigma TC and a K-5? Is anyone using the this combination with autofocus operational?
Currently I have the sigma 100-300 F4 with matching sigma 1.4x DG EX telcon and AF works so (as Joe allready said) it will work on the 300 F2.8 As for AF my understanding is that the sigma lenses will maintain AF if the combination will not exeed F5.6 (so a 300F4 with a 2x TC will not work because that TC has 2 stops loss of light, making it F8)

I also have the sigma 150-500 OS HSM. Bought it second hand for a good price and while being sceptical at first, it surprised me in a positive way. It`s not as good as the 100-300 but it can deliver some very decent pictures. But imho it`s slow on aperture and AFspeed and is far from sharp wide open, one must stop down to at least F8. It also needs a good portion of light, on a bright sunny day I allready require ISO 500 to get decent shuttertimes.

But...I`m also not happy with the sigma TC when combined with the 100-300 F4. The lens itself is very sharp, even wide open but there is a significant loss of IQ when using the TC. I mean, It`s better to crop a 300mm image than using the TC. That makes me reluctant to decide on the 300mm F2.8 and seriously consider a 7D with a 400 F5.6 L.

Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to calibrate or check up a TC?
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #98
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Original Poster
Sigma 300/2.8 $3400.00
Sigma 1.4xTC 250.00

Canon 7D $1500.00
400 F5.6 L 1300.00

Just did a comparison in pricing: you might have a good point.

JP

03-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #99
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
And you get a better AFtracking system...allthough I love Pentax, the 7D/400mmL combo is a nobrainer, especially with a used 7D body for half the price.
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #100
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Cape May Warbler in full spring breeding plumage.
Excellent shot of a pretty specimen.
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #101
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,475
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Excellent shot of a pretty specimen.
Thank you - appreciated.
03-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #102
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Sigma 300/2.8 $3400.00
Sigma 1.4xTC 250.00

Canon 7D $1500.00
400 F5.6 L 1300.00

Just did a comparison in pricing: you might have a good point.

JP
I don't know why, but seeing those figures made me contemplate. We seem to be talking about trying to match the IQ of our DA*/FA* 300 lenses in a 400mm+ configuration. It just hit me that with most of the suggestions here, there is such a big dollar investment to get from 300mm to 400mm.

This has taken me back a step to try to figure out how to get closer with my 300mm...........
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #103
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This has taken me back a step to try to figure out how to get closer with my 300mm
Blinds, blinds and more blinds. I will have 3 stationary blinds setup along the river in spring and summer and also will be in my mobile blind (my kayak). Think about it, an extra 100mm really isn't nothing, depending on the subject moving 10ft closer can make up that extra 100mm and then some...
03-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #104
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Blinds, blinds and more blinds. I will have 3 stationary blinds setup along the river in spring and summer and also will be in my mobile blind (my kayak). Think about it, an extra 100mm really isn't nothing, depending on the subject moving 10ft closer can make up that extra 100mm and then some...
Yep - after you and a couple other members have tried to beat that into my head, I am finally getting it. I already have a pseudo blind worked out for my pavilion at the river - going to work on something simple for at the waters edge also.

And I believe you are correct - I think 10' will more than make up for the difference between 300mm & 400mm - I might be able to push it more toward 20'.
03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #105
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,690
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Blinds, blinds and more blinds. I will have 3 stationary blinds setup along the river in spring
What sort of blinds?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, combo, da*300/4, iq, k-mount, lens, lenses, note, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, tele, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me choose a xmas present for myself sogden Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 10-25-2011 11:44 AM
Help me choose my Pentax lens selection Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:01 PM
Help me choose a 3 lens setup for overseas trip! catastrophe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 10-16-2010 12:31 AM
Help me choose a camera for my wife sholtzma Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-16-2009 05:37 PM
Please help me choose a new lens for my K100D missnewzealand Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-14-2008 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top