Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What sort of blinds?
It probably doesn't matter as long as it is something that disguises you and the animals can get used to it being there. If it was a cardboard box it would work as long as it is there for a little while and it is recognized as "normal." The portable pop-up blinds should probably be camoflauge so they blend as much as possible since it is going to be "new."

03-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Does anyone here have pics of their setup with a K5+ Sigma 300/2.8 + TC on a tripod/monopod without a Gimgall head?

Thanks!

JP
I'm pretty sure theres a pic of My K-5 with a 2x tc and the 300/2.8 on a monopod in my TRipod solution thread.

03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What sort of blinds?
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
It probably doesn't matter as long as it is something that disguises you and the animals can get used to it being there. If it was a cardboard box it would work as long as it is there for a little while and it is recognized as "normal." The portable pop-up blinds should probably be camoflauge so they blend as much as possible since it is going to be "new."

@audiobomber - as @littledrawe said. I use small tents (and cabanas) with burlap camouflage for most of my blinds. Down here waterfowl hunting is really big so there is duck blinds setup in many places along the river, these blinds are stationary and stay all year around and I will hop in and out of those also.

EDIT: Tip when shooting from a blind (or hide as many call them), get setup and ready before dawn and be patient - it's amazing how close the birds will popup around the blind, I have seen green heron on top of stationary blinds along the river as I was boating out to the blind.

Last edited by joe.penn; 03-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
And you get a better AFtracking system...allthough I love Pentax, the 7D/400mmL combo is a nobrainer, especially with a used 7D body for half the price.
The idea of ever considering a Canon product never crossed my mind, however this is a good deal if you compare prices.
No idea about the "no brainer" combo since I have never tried Canon SLR's/DSLR's.

Thanks for the idea ... we never know.

JP

03-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I don't know why, but seeing those figures made me contemplate. We seem to be talking about trying to match the IQ of our DA*/FA* 300 lenses in a 400mm+ configuration. It just hit me that with most of the suggestions here, there is such a big dollar investment to get from 300mm to 400mm.

This has taken me back a step to try to figure out how to get closer with my 300mm...........
Yeah ... the whole idea is to get a longer each without having to sell the kids.
Also, I did mention in the earlier posts, and the title reflects the query, that I wanted to get to 500mm.
With this set up (Canon), I wonder that with the addition of a 1.4 - 1.5X TC if the IQ loss would be such that it would make no sense to do it.

400mm is still quite a bit more reach than 300mm though,

Lots of things to ponder.

JP
03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'm pretty sure theres a pic of My K-5 with a 2x tc and the 300/2.8 on a monopod in my TRipod solution thread.
Thanks for the pic!
So, this is it with the 2X, TC right? And if I recall corectly, with little loss in IQ?
Furthermore, it looks like it can be handheld/or with a monopod too, something very interesting

I'll try to find that thread you are mentioning.

Cheers.

JP
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I'll try to find that thread you are mentioning.
That's an easy one for me as I have been referring to cmohr's thread a bit while building my support system (thanks cmohr!)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html

03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have been referring to cmohr's thread a bit while building my support system (thanks cmohr!)
Me too! It makes so much sense. I have 3 tripods, 1 bipod, 2 camera bodies and 2 long lenses that are all compatible with the same plates and clamps. Thanks to the ancient chinese wisdom a lot of it was done with minimal cost. I will support some of the more high end companies eventually but it is hard to spend more on tripod head than several of my lenses cost. I'm almost ready for an upgrade with the Gimbal though.
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Me too! It makes so much sense. I have 3 tripods, 1 bipod, 2 camera bodies and 2 long lenses that are all compatible with the same plates and clamps. Thanks to the ancient chinese wisdom a lot of it was done with minimal cost. I will support some of the more high end companies eventually but it is hard to spend more on tripod head than several of my lenses cost. I'm almost ready for an upgrade with the Gimbal though.
You are ready for Katana
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #115
Veteran Member

The idea of ever considering a Canon product never crossed my mind, however this is a good deal if you compare prices.
No idea about the "no brainer" combo since I have never tried Canon SLR's/DSLR's.

Thanks for the idea ... we never know.

JP
Me neither but I`m thinking of renting that combo somewhere in the near future.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I`ll love to see some highres pics made with those, is that possible?
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #116
Veteran Member

400mm is still quite a bit more reach than 300mm though,
Well, not really - what wildlife are you focusing on OR mainly concerned about that you need the extra reach?
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #117
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If it is still of interest here's another proud owner of a K-5, a Sigma 2.8/300 both matched TCs and some other long lenses to compare them with.
The combination of the Sigma with its matched 1.4 TC is very very good - on a par with the 300/2.8 A* which I also own, but with the added advantage of a fast AF. I also have a 600/5.6 645 EDIF which I use for the really long shots and the Sigma with its 2x matched TC is almost but not quite up to that though by far more portable. I often take the combo on trips over the A* or the 600 as it is much lighter.
I've even used it with both TCs in series and it worked fine, will post some links to photos - there are some in my gallery too.
Here's one of a Sanderling in flight taken with Sigma 2.8/300 plus 1.4 TC https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/4141/1_IMGP5454np.JPG
Here one with both TCs https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/4141/1_IMGP9076n.jpg The other bluethroat pic is also with both TCs with the K10D at the time
Angus

Last edited by angus; 03-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.
03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Here's one of a Sanderling in flight taken with Sigma 2.8/300 plus 1.4 TC Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com
Now, THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! Excellent shot Angus!!! Incredible detail on the Sanderling.
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Here's one of a Sanderling in flight taken with Sigma 2.8/300 plus 1.4 TC Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com
Stellar!
03-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #120
Veteran Member

This other one impresses me even more (2 TC`s): Male bluethroat - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Scheiße, Angus...you just erased that 7D