Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Are you certain the sigma TC can be used on the pentax 50-260? Is there a chance of damaging the pentax lens.
No, I'm not certain. But I didn't mention Sigma TC, did I?

02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi stormtech. I was part of a thread on this forum where the chap said his sigma 300 plus sigma TC out performed his sigma 500 4.5 (just) That was a couple of years ago and almost swayed me to go the sigma 300. I love the 500. I agree with you in that having now got really sharp lenses I prefer a sharp 300 to a soft 500.
I think Gary ( @Ducatigaz ) has both of these lenses, the 300 2.8 and the 500 4.5, maybe he can chime in on this...
02-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi stormtech. I was part of a thread on this forum where the chap said his sigma 300 plus sigma TC out performed his sigma 500 4.5 (just) That was a couple of years ago and almost swayed me to go the sigma 300. I love the 500. I agree with you in that having now got really sharp lenses I prefer a sharp 300 to a soft 500.
That's right - you said that in one sentence which took me a couple paragraphs to say the same thing!
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
In terms of AF, none of the current 2X TC works with the DA* 60-250mm. The Tamron 1.4X kind of works (AF hunts a lot at 250mm).

I tried Tamron 2X TC + DA* 60-250mm (manual focus of course), the IQ is terrible. Tamron 1.4X TC + DA* 60-250mm is better, but IQ is still worse than that of Pentax 1.7X AFA + DA* 60-250mm, which is in turn worse than that of Sigma 150-500mm at 500mm.
i dont own 60-250 for sure , but i ever try this combination somewhere in pentax store, with TC 1,4X, Autofocus is hunt and dificult to find the right focus, but the IQ is not very bad at all,
I also combine tamron 70-200/2,8 with kenko 1,4X and it work nice at the end long throw. IQ is well used , even though can not compare with image result without TC, ofcourse shooting with "double" lens or in front of another glass always make a difference

02-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have the older screw drive 50-500mm. It is quite adequate for me but to be honest I don't see it competing with the DA*300 in IQ. I have gotten good images with it, even some with Pentax AF-A 1.7x adapter on. But it is not prime quality IQ.
Thanks for the reply.

Trying to beat the IQ of the DA*300/4 is quite a challenge, I agree.
Some say that the newer Bigma is superior to the older type .... some say the 150-500 is better .... very confusing.

JP
02-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have the 150-500 and like it well enough. I have never used the 50-500. I'm not prepared to spend the extra $1000s for the 500 prime (yet), so I am happy with the zoom :-)

I am told the slow aperture does not work so well on the Q due to the diffraction.
How's the IQ at the long end based on your own experience with it?
I am really trying to figure this "debate" out between the Bigma and the BigMos (as they often call it) vs. the 150-500.

JP
02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I have a Sigma 150-500 HSM. It's the greatest FL zoom lens I have so I can't compare it to other lens. I'm happy with the IQ at 500.

The only problem with that lens is that it's big and heavy. Many times I can't lug it along so I use the DA* 60-250mm + 1.7X AFA instead. The IQ of the Sigma is much better than that of this combo.

For birding, I think a zoom lens is easier because with zooming, I can locate the target easier. With a prime lens with great FL, by the time I locate where the target "used to be," it's flown away.
I personally don't have a problem to hand hold a larger lens, based on my years of use with the DA*300/4 (it isn't really a "large lens") and I even have the Pentax 1.7X adapter which I tried with it: very few "keepers" and that means only when the light is good enough.

I don't think the DA*60-250 would fit the bill in my case, in spite of it being a stellar lens on its own.

JP

02-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have an older 50-500 and it's great if you can't afford anything better. The main complaints are
1. at 500 when focusing more than 15 metres away it gets progressively softer. I wouldn't be surprised if the pentax 300 had more usable detail cropped than the bigma at infinity.
2. Sucks in dust
3. zoom comes out so long that it really a problem with a tripod.

Maybe your consideration is forget the 50-500 and other alternatives keep your pentax 300 and buy the pentax converter when it comes out. That way you have a fantastic lens with no compromise. (on the other hand if you have kids at home get whatever you can afford before the kids use the money)

Am I allowed to say the Sgma 500 4.5 is absolutely sensational - better not

I used a 150-500 sigma on a gimble with a nikon 7000 in Africa and it didn't come close to the Sigma 500
Thanks Bob.

Don't worry about mentioning that the Sigma 500/4.5 is a splendid lens ... Maybe when I win the lottery!

Too bad that Pentax doesn't still have a SDM TC; after all those years of speculation, you'd think that they'd have one by now.
I have a couple of "good" TC's: Pentax 1.7X adapter and a Tamron 1.4X .... not that great ... not that bad either but not stellar by any means.

JP
02-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Have you considered the 70-200 or 100-300 with a TC?
Yes I did.

As a matter of fact, I have a Tamron 70-200/2.8 (great lens and extremely sharp): I haven't used a TC on it though because I am not sure which would actually work without damaging the lens.

I also used to own a Sigma 100-300/4 and although it was a great lens, it was a PITA when used with a TC. I sold it a couple of years ago.

JP
02-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I would advise to check into the 50-500mm OS. I had the previous version and find the OS version to be quite a bit sharper at the longer ranges. It also has HSM and closer focusing. At 300mm it is almost as sharp as my DA300 and at 500 it is about as sharp as a DA*300 with AFA 1.7x. I use it with a sturdy monopod and keep the Aperture at F8 and get great results. I hesitated for months after selling my older Bigma which I was less than thrilled with its IQ. I finally made the purchase and have been happy with it. Now we have moved to the big city and I don't get to use it much....
Thanks Gary.

I do have the DA*300/4 and the Pentax 1.7X adapter (TC): at eq. 510mm, I get very few keepers.
Now, if the 50-500 is "as sharp as the DA*300/4 + AF-A adapter", I might as well not consider the Sigma, right?

JP
02-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll be back tomorrow to reply to the remaining posts ... going to bed now!

Cheers ... see y'all then!

JP
02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you certain the sigma TC can be used on the pentax 50-260? Is there a chance of damaging the pentax lens.
dont know about the Sigma, but the Tamron 1.4 PZAF works well with the 60-250mm
02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The newest Sigma 50-500 OS I find is sharp at at all focal lengths, so am quite happy with it.
I owned a 170-500 previously and have tried a 150-500 as well, and from my recollection I felt the long end of both of those zooms was not up to my expectation.
Other than the better aperture of the prime Sigma, I think the newest Bigma comes quite close in sharpness.
That being said, if someone wants to give me a Siggy 500 4.5 I will not turn it down

New Bigma at 50mm

New Bigma at 500mm

100% Crop
02-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am really trying to figure this "debate" out between the Bigma and the BigMos (as they often call it) vs. the 150-500.
I think this will be hard to do, there are a lot of variables.
First when someone does a review of a 50mm lens you assume they are competent to take a picture with it. But with a 500mm there is a learning curve, it is not just point the camera and shoot. It requires real skill, proper stance, proper breathing, proper conditions, good light and low wind, low haze in the atmosphere, proper tripod and head if using one.

Second you are comparing 4 different lenses, which may have had updates or changes over the years that were not announced so different people may be talking about slightly different models.

Third Sigma has a reputation for a lot of sample variation in their lenses, so one reviewer's outstanding lens is just so-so with another lens.

And last you have camera/lens tuning, were the tested lenses AF tuned? Were the cameras used even capable of AF tuning?

I would love to see a controlled test, on the same camera, in the same conditions. But without that I think the reviews are even more unreliable for this type of lens than they are in general because of the inherent difficulty in getting a good image from this focal length.
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
the Sigma 300 2.8 with the matched Sigma 1.4 TC is an extremely deadly combo, 420 at f/4 with blazing fast AF that locks as quick as without a TC and still resolves as high with the TC as the equivalent canon and nikon offerings - have you researched that lens?
This is interesting, this combination doesn't seem to be very common. Has anyone had experience with this lens and TC? 420mm is really nice for what I do. I would buy a pentax 1.4 tc as soon as it is announced for use with my DA*300, along with a K5IIs or K3 with better low light capabilities.

What stops me from considering the sigma zoom is the aperture. For much of the year it would be unusable because it is too slow and the light is so low. I get my best shots early in the morning just before sun rise and shortly after. I'm having trouble getting the DA*300 to focus on my K5 due to low light. The Sigma would be left at home.

Dane.dawg shot for a long while with a 150-500 and could tell you what he thinks of it. He sold it here recently and bought a 500 f4.5. I think he ran into issues where higher iso noise was losing detail as opposed to the optics.