Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
This is interesting, this combination doesn't seem to be very common. Has anyone had experience with this lens and TC? 420mm is really nice for what I do. I would buy a pentax 1.4 tc as soon as it is announced for use with my DA*300, along with a K5IIs or K3 with better low light capabilities.

What stops me from considering the sigma zoom is the aperture. For much of the year it would be unusable because it is too slow and the light is so low. I get my best shots early in the morning just before sun rise and shortly after. I'm having trouble getting the DA*300 to focus on my K5 due to low light. The Sigma would be left at home.

Dane.dawg shot for a long while with a 150-500 and could tell you what he thinks of it. He sold it here recently and bought a 500 f4.5. I think he ran into issues where higher iso noise was losing detail as opposed to the optics.
Sorry to barge in your post , Derek ....
I thought he meant to use the prime 300/2.8 with the TC.
If this 300/2.8 plus 1.4X TC gives you a great 420mm IQ ... that is one serious consideration.
I am also wondering how this lens (300/2.8) would perform with a 2X TC.

JP

03-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Sounds like you might have an issue with the AFA adapter. I get perfectly good results with the DA*300 with Afa. I have also used it with the Tamron 400mm f4 with Adaptall with fine results. YMMV
Or maybe it's my technique !

When I do get good focus with this setup (which is rare enough), the images are very pleasingly sharp.
But, this happens only once in a very rare while!

I'd better re-test that gain, this time using a tripod/monopod! (something I rarely do, to be honest).

JP
03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Same here: totally spoiled with the DA*300/4 IQ and that's probably why I "want" something in a longer FL with the same quality ... another wish.
What TC do you use with your 300mm lens(es)?

Looks like the options are: Sigma 300/2.8 with a great TC to match it, and not loose in IQ, and perhaps a Tamron Adaptall that someone suggested to me . ?
Still hoping for the ghostly Pentax SDM 1.4X (with the DA*300/4).
As far as a TC for my 300mm lens, right now I am in a very fortunate position owning both an FA*300 4.5 and a DA*300. I am in the process of a serious comparison of both lenses since I can't afford to keep both. I have not tried any TC's on the DA*300, But did try the Tamron 1.4x TC briefly on the FA*300. What I found with the combination was the the IQ was nearly identical with the TC installed vs. cropping the native image to equal that of the TC. So with that knowledge, I sold the TC since I could get the same results by simply cropping. But.....I've been given the opportunity to try a TC again on the FA*300 - the Vivitar 1.4x. The Vivitar is only screw drive so the testing will again be on the FA*300. As far as the TC with the DA*300 I sold the TC before I aquired the DA*.

As far as the Tamron Adaptall 300mm 2.8, that with the Pentax AF 1.7x TC was a very good combo. I am not good at all with manual focusing, so the auto-focus TC was a must for me. But, at the end of the day, the IQ of that lens with the TC did not equal that of the FA*300.

I have to agree with you that I think in both of our cases, the hopeful Pentax SDM TC with the DA*300 might be the killer combo. I have also considered the Sigma 300mm 2.8 + TC, but we are getting into high price territory again.

So for me, it has come down to getting closer somehow, or to pony up the big bucks for the Sigma 300 2.8 + TC or 500 4.5. In my present position that is not going to happen.

In the meantime I will give the FA*300 and Vivitar 1.4x TC a prudent evaluation. I'm almost afraid that it might work very well for me then the decision will have to be made to sell the DA* which I don't really want to do...........

And I apologize for taking your thread off your main question about the Bigma and 150-500. Myself, I am going either of the routes I mentioned above. But, between Larry (crewl1) and GaryH's results with the newer Bigma, that temptation is still there somewhat. But I've already spent so much money and time with all my experimental lenses, I'm to the point of working with what I have, or "go big or go home".
03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Just poking around with this our of curiosity - I have no first hand knowledge.

According to this Sigma compatibility chart for lenses and TC's, it shows the Sigma TC does work with the Sigma 300 2.8 EX HSM, but in the lower section shows it does not work with the non-EX HSM. Maybe I am reading it wrong?

Teleconverter Compatibility | Sigma
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
No, you are reading it correct, the Pentax and Sony mount of this lens is non-hsm:

So, to use a TC with the pentax version it has to be a screw drive AF TC.
OK - I understand now. Just wonder why they list the HSM version of the lens to be compatible with TC's when it isn't even available in HSM for Pentax.....Oh well - no big deal - on to the subject at hand.
Thanks for those posts, folks!

And, of course, the question: what is(are) THE TC(s) which would work perfectly with the Sigma 300/2.8?

JP

03-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
JP - here are some shots by one of the forum members here with the 300 2.8 plus 1.4TC - this is pretty fast action also, seems to have nailed focus on most if not all. These aren't wildlife images and also looks to be not the best time of day to shoot, he was still able to pull off great shots with this combo:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/177740-sports-final-day-...2-50-pics.html

When I get back to the house later I will send you some reference pics of wildlife shot with 1.4 tc and 2.0 tc...
I am truly amazed with the quality (IQ) of this lens even with a TC!

Not too often do we see a lens+TC with such good results.

Looking forward to more references.

Cheers!

JP
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I just tested an older Vivitar 2x TC with the DA*300, and IQ is surprisingly good. (I'm surprised because I got this one really cheap and was planning to gut it to use as a macro extension with contacts.)

The TC has contacts so will pass the aperture info, but is not an AF solution.

With my previous Kenko 1.5 TC the AF was so inconsistent I was having to use manual focus anyway, and ended up selling it.

I will do more serious testing and IQ comparison against the Bigma and post some results when I get a chance.

The DA*300 is such a good lens that I think it can handle really any magnification you want to throw at it well, as it has proven when adapted to the Q.
This Vivitar 2X TC is a total unknown to me!
Probably "available" on the used market? Just in case, I am asking.

Yes, the DA*300/4 is quite a gem, even adapted to the Q (in my case, it hasn't yet proved to be a good pick .... ) from what I gather from your posted images.

Looking forward to smaple shots.

JP
03-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #52
Veteran Member

@jpzk

What do you do with most of your pics/art? Is this something you do as a hobby, make pics and display online maybe print a few for the house? Or, are you shooting, printing, showing in galleries and doing limited edition stuff?

One thing to remember here, longer is good for wildlife, but at the same time a DA*300 (and the Sigma 300 2.8) will outperform any bigma in almost all situations even after cropping an image made with these 2 lenses to match the extra 200mm of the bigma - this is something that can be seen as fact by mft charts. In essence, if you were to take a bigma and nail the exposure, then turn around and take the DA*300 and name the exposure, there will be a night and day difference in IQ and sharpness when comparing the two side by side. Also, your DA*300 with the 1.7 TC will blow the bigma out of the water. That second link you posted, if @Siluet23 would have captured that same shot (a fantastic shot with the bigma) with the Sigma 300 2.8 or other pro grade lens, it would take that shot from "Fantastic Shot" to "Incredible Nat Geo Shot Status" - even with skilled people behind the shutter, you still hit the ceiling or limits of what the equipment is capable of doing or producing. In short, a bigma would be a pretty big step backwards from the DA*300.

- Here are some wildlife pics from the Sigma 300 2.8 -> Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO (chimp through the pictures as these are just randoms gathered up from everyone)
EDIT: Start here on that above link -> http://www.pbase.com/image/65357198 -> use the next button, shows examples of the 300 2.8 with a TC...
Here is one using a Sigma 2x TC with that lens! http://www.pbase.com/allonkira/image/65376978

- Check out Ken's work on flickr, his stuff is from DA*300 and also the Sigma 500 4.5 (IQ of the 300 2.8 Sigma is identical) -> Flickr: kengoh8888's Photostream
- Also, check out Gary's work on Flickr, he shoots with the Sigma 300 2.8 and the Sigma 500 4.5 -> Flickr: Gary Chalker's Photostream

Again, the bigma is a downgrade from the IQ you are used to seeing, there really is no comparison.

03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a lot more to it then just getting a lens and a good camera body - the second thread link you posted is a perfect example of this.

As for the need to get out to 500, most of the time this need can be countered by shooting from portable bird blinds and other creative ways, I have gotten shots of skittish birds that fill the entire frame at 150mm with my Sigma 70-200. For me, I am more about speed of the lens and optical qualities than I am of the reach - the Sigma 300 2.8 with the matched Sigma 1.4 TC is an extremely deadly combo, 420 at f/4 with blazing fast AF that locks as quick as without a TC and still resolves as high with the TC as the equivalent canon and nikon offerings - have you researched that lens?
What camera are you using? I am considering the Sigma 300 2.8 but need a TC that works with the K-5. I do not think the Sigma 1.4 TC works with the K-5 and am waiting for the long overdue Pentax TC to come out. I have a Sigma 150-500 which is great for taking shots of my grand kids playing sports but is both too slow and the IQ not high enough for wildlife and birds in flight. So I am thinking of the Sigma 300 2.8 with TC or the Sigma 500 4.5.
03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
What camera are you using? I am considering the Sigma 300 2.8 but need a TC that works with the K-5.
I have this lens in Nikon mount - the sigma TC for pentax (screw drive AF) is the one you need for this lens.
03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

This is the TC for PENTAX for the 300 2.8 -> Sigma 1 4X EX APO Teleconverter Lens for Pentax 824109 085126824266 | eBay

The picture shows a nikon one but that looks like a stock picture...
03-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

This is the TC for PENTAX for the 300 2.8 -> Sigma 1 4X EX APO Teleconverter Lens for Pentax 824109 085126824266 | eBay

The picture shows a nikon one but that looks like a stock picture...
Unfortunately this TC does not work well with Pentax see Teleconverter Compatibility | Sigma I would need the Kenko, Tamron or keep waiting for the long overdue Pentax HSM compatible TC. If the Pentax TC delivers a fairly good result then I feel the 300 2.8 is a good alternative to the 500 4.5
03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Maybe @cmohr will chime in and let use know which tc he used with his...
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as a TC for my 300mm lens, right now I am in a very fortunate position owning both an FA*300 4.5 and a DA*300. I am in the process of a serious comparison of both lenses since I can't afford to keep both. I have not tried any TC's on the DA*300, But did try the Tamron 1.4x TC briefly on the FA*300. What I found with the combination was the the IQ was nearly identical with the TC installed vs. cropping the native image to equal that of the TC. So with that knowledge, I sold the TC since I could get the same results by simply cropping. But.....I've been given the opportunity to try a TC again on the FA*300 - the Vivitar 1.4x. The Vivitar is only screw drive so the testing will again be on the FA*300. As far as the TC with the DA*300 I sold the TC before I aquired the DA*.

As far as the Tamron Adaptall 300mm 2.8, that with the Pentax AF 1.7x TC was a very good combo. I am not good at all with manual focusing, so the auto-focus TC was a must for me. But, at the end of the day, the IQ of that lens with the TC did not equal that of the FA*300.

I have to agree with you that I think in both of our cases, the hopeful Pentax SDM TC with the DA*300 might be the killer combo. I have also considered the Sigma 300mm 2.8 + TC, but we are getting into high price territory again.

So for me, it has come down to getting closer somehow, or to pony up the big bucks for the Sigma 300 2.8 + TC or 500 4.5. In my present position that is not going to happen.

In the meantime I will give the FA*300 and Vivitar 1.4x TC a prudent evaluation. I'm almost afraid that it might work very well for me then the decision will have to be made to sell the DA* which I don't really want to do...........

And I apologize for taking your thread off your main question about the Bigma and 150-500. Myself, I am going either of the routes I mentioned above. But, between Larry (crewl1) and GaryH's results with the newer Bigma, that temptation is still there somewhat. But I've already spent so much money and time with all my experimental lenses, I'm to the point of working with what I have, or "go big or go home".
Really, it all boils down to the money available, doesn't it?

BTW, no apologies necessary as you didn't actually veer this thread off track, I see it as a complement to the discussion and it is always welcomed.

I've been in the same boat, although at some point in time I tought that I could pull the Sigma 500/4.5 but that turned out to be a wish.
If I can get a 420-ish mm focal length at a "reduced" price vs. that of the 500/4.5, I'll probably go that way. But the extra 80mm can make a difference at times .... I'll have to bite the bullet and try getting closer (not an easy task where I go for photography) to the subjects, as suggested in a few posts.

Interesting this Vivitar TC (mentioned also in a few posts, in the 1.4X and 2X flavours).

As for the Sigma's - 50-500 and 150-500 - the more we are "threading" here, the more I think that a good prime and a good TC could do what I want, hence, serious consideration for the 300/2.8 and a TC.
Of course, the temptation is always there when someone reports having great success at the long end of either of those lenses .... which also adds to the confusion.

"Go big or go home" ... well said!

JP
03-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Really, it all boils down to the money available, doesn't it?

BTW, no apologies necessary as you didn't actually veer this thread off track, I see it as a complement to the discussion and it is always welcomed.

I've been in the same boat, although at some point in time I tought that I could pull the Sigma 500/4.5 but that turned out to be a wish.
If I can get a 420-ish mm focal length at a "reduced" price vs. that of the 500/4.5, I'll probably go that way. But the extra 80mm can make a difference at times .... I'll have to bite the bullet and try getting closer (not an easy task where I go for photography) to the subjects, as suggested in a few posts.

Interesting this Vivitar TC (mentioned also in a few posts, in the 1.4X and 2X flavours).

As for the Sigma's - 50-500 and 150-500 - the more we are "threading" here, the more I think that a good prime and a good TC could do what I want, hence, serious consideration for the 300/2.8 and a TC.
Of course, the temptation is always there when someone reports having great success at the long end of either of those lenses .... which also adds to the confusion.

"Go big or go home" ... well said!

JP
I have the Sigma 150-500 which I bought used for $800. I feel this is a very good review that reflects my experience Sigma 150-500 mm f/5.0-6.3 APO DG OS HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com I enjoy using this lens once I know the limitations.
For Birds in flight I use a large tripod, Wimberley Sidekick and use this lens at about 400mm and f10. The results, when focus is on target is good so that I can crop the image. Some of my BIF pictures are in the BIF thread. My BIF hit rate with on target focus is about 50% and there are times when the lens/K-5 combination goes out to lunch and you need to manually reset focus range. With larger wildlife, like elk, I have even gotten a few good results hand holding at 500mm using the K-5 shake reduction. For the price this lens is really good.
My interest is getting a lens where I do not need f10 for good resolution. Hence my interest in the Sigma 500 4.5 or the Sigma 300 2.8 with the hopefully soon to be introduced Pentax TC.
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did some experimentation today, with K-5 using DA*300 + 2x Vivitar TC (600mm) , K-5 using Bigma (500mm) , and just for fun Q with DA*300 (1650mm)
These are jpeg straight out of each camera with no PP other than the crop examples and, the exports were done to a 1024 max on the long end.
I used a tripod, but I kind of rushed things since I didn't have much time so I don't know that all settings were optimized.
Plus I was trying to switch the setups so was getting confused
For example, the Bigma could have used a faster shutter speed, and I may not have turned off the OS since I was initially doing some handheld stuff.
With PP and more care in shooting each combo could probably squeeze a little better performance, but I would say this is kind of the average results one might get with these setups.

K-5 with DA*300 + Vivitar 2x TC ($800+$1000+$20= $1820)

K-5 with Bigma ($800+$1200=$2000)

Q with adapter and DA*300 ($200+$275+$1000=$1475)