Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I agree about the Kiwi plates. Ebay seller rainbowimaging is a very good seller.

Don't worry about buying a plate with 2 screws - if you look at one end of the slot where the screw(s) is, there is a threaded portion at the very end for removing/installing the screw.

Here is just what the doctor ordered......even specifies that it is for the Sigma 150-500

169mm Lens Plate Quick Release Arca Swiss Compat Sigma 150 500mm 300 800mm F 5 6 | eBay

I agree with not putting the foot directly in the clamp - the paint wouldn't last long.

Looking forward to you pics and assessment.

03-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #152
Veteran Member

No complaints from me!!
03-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Photos will be in soon ... iin the meantime:

I will post some pics, soon I hope, with the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM.

This is a bit out of the main discussion of this thread:
In the meantime, I am also looking into a lens plate for this heavy lens.
I have checked a few places, including Wimberley, Kirk, Jobu Design, RRS and Kiwifoto and since the lens "foot" has only one screw hole, I am wondering which one to get.
The lens foot is 10cm (4 inches)
And I assume that I have to get a plate that has only one screw, right?

Note: the built-in lens foot of the Sigma 150-500 does fit perfectly on any of my Arca-Swiss compatible tripod/monopod heads but I am afraid the mounting and unmouting will eventually wear the paint job of the lens foot, hence the need for the plate.

They all run at about $55-58, except for the Kiwifoto which is only $18 , which makes me wonder if it is a cheap make.

Can someone barge in to suggest something for this specific lens?

Thanks and I'll be back soon with those pics.

JP

@joe.penn: great pic of the heron.
Hi Joe
I have that lens and a Wimberley Sidekick and use the plate recommended by Wimberley see Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Quick-Release Plates
It has two small pins at the foot that snug up to the lens tripod foot to prevent twisting. I also use a second screw with a 1/4 20 nut at the end opposite the pins to snug up against the opposite end of the lens tripod foot. This locks the tripod foot to the plate with now twisting possible.
I have a larger lens the SMC 500 4.5 which has a tripod foot with only one screw. Here I use a plate with two slots and three screws. One goes in the lens tripod foot and two go at each end of the foot with a 1/4 20 nut snugged tightly against the lens tripod foot. This method holds the 7 1/2 pound lens on the Sidekick with no twisting movement.
03-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Here is a couple reference shots as I noted the D7100 with the sigma 300 2.8 and TC earlier in the thread. Shot these yesterday...

Sigma 300 2.8, Sigma 1.4 TC, D7100 1.3 Crop Mode (546mm total, 420 with TC and 1.3 multiplier)
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/1250, Handheld
OOC Jpeg, Flat Zeroed Out No Sharpening or Color Adjustments
4800x3200 Sized To 1000 Long Side of Image

Same as above, cropped to 1600 width (1/3) and sized to 1000 long side

A shot to show detail - this was done with the Sigma 300 2.8, no TC and using the 1.3 mode, no cropping, was able to get right up on this one:
Impressive...
The D7100 looks like an awesome camera and is starting to get very tempting. Have you tried the AF-tracking allready?

03-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Have you tried the AF-tracking allready?
Somewhat - the manual notes to use the dynamic area tracking for moving birds and stuff, I have not had time to use that yet. However, I used the 3D tracking and that works really good - once the AF point is locked on the target, it stays locked as the subject moves; the AF system in this thing is really feature rich and is taking time to get used too. Hopefully I will get some really good time on the water with the Ospreys this upcoming weekend.
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Somewhat - the manual notes to use the dynamic area tracking for moving birds and stuff, I have not had time to use that yet. However, I used the 3D tracking and that works really good - once the AF point is locked on the target, it stays locked as the subject moves; the AF system in this thing is really feature rich and is taking time to get used too. Hopefully I will get some really good time on the water with the Ospreys this upcoming weekend.
Thank you, Joe...this is getting more and more interesting. I will wait patiently for your results
03-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Back to the lens plate thing for a bit for JP and the 150-500....another option I forgot to add yesterday is a plate with a ridge at one end. Not as good for anti-twist as having 2 mounting screws, but a step in the right direction.

Plate with ridge : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

03-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I agree about the Kiwi plates. Ebay seller rainbowimaging is a very good seller.

Don't worry about buying a plate with 2 screws - if you look at one end of the slot where the screw(s) is, there is a threaded portion at the very end for removing/installing the screw.

Here is just what the doctor ordered......even specifies that it is for the Sigma 150-500

169mm Lens Plate Quick Release Arca Swiss Compat Sigma 150 500mm 300 800mm F 5 6 | eBay

I agree with not putting the foot directly in the clamp - the paint wouldn't last long.

Looking forward to you pics and assessment.
Stan: thanks!
For the price, "we" can't really go wrong with that.
Looks like a good choice ....

JP

Edit: I tried sending an email to Rainbow Imaging because the ad says that "may not ship to Canada" !!
Even the email will not get through ... "error sending message".
Rats!

Last edited by jpzk; 03-26-2013 at 07:26 PM.
03-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Hi Joe
I have that lens and a Wimberley Sidekick and use the plate recommended by Wimberley see Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Quick-Release Plates
It has two small pins at the foot that snug up to the lens tripod foot to prevent twisting. I also use a second screw with a 1/4 20 nut at the end opposite the pins to snug up against the opposite end of the lens tripod foot. This locks the tripod foot to the plate with now twisting possible.
I have a larger lens the SMC 500 4.5 which has a tripod foot with only one screw. Here I use a plate with two slots and three screws. One goes in the lens tripod foot and two go at each end of the foot with a 1/4 20 nut snugged tightly against the lens tripod foot. This method holds the 7 1/2 pound lens on the Sidekick with no twisting movement.
I did look into that one but thought that the extra screws would impair mounting it on the Sigma foot.
As usual ... I don't quite understand how you would make it fir properly if it has two screws vs. only one screw hole on the foot itself. ??

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Back to the lens plate thing for a bit for JP and the 150-500....another option I forgot to add yesterday is a plate with a ridge at one end. Not as good for anti-twist as having 2 mounting screws, but a step in the right direction.

Plate with ridge : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
OK, this at least is indeed a step in the right direction.
Worthwhile considering, since Rainbow Imaging might not ship to Canada (according to their eBay website)

JP
03-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Stan: thanks!
For the price, "we" can't really go wrong with that.
Looks like a good choice ....

JP

Edit: I tried sending an email to Rainbow Imaging because the ad says that "may not ship to Canada" !!
Even the email will not get through ... "error sending message".
Rats!
What a shame - I often forget you are in Canada, but often wonder why it's hard to you get the same items as we do down here.

Anyway, there really isn't anything special about that plate - just take the length of the one listed and look for one. Can you buy from Amazon? They usually have most of rainbow imagings stuff there plus a couple other vendors of plates etc.

Another option - I've used a few different items from Hejnar - very high quality pieces - actually the best I've used. But, a bit on the expensive side. For something as simple as a lens plate, I will usually opt for something cheaper. With saying that however, Larry (crewl1) did find some differences in the cheap plates from the better ones. The overall width of the plate plus the depth and angle of the groove are all very important for a good fit - some of the cheaper ones are a bit different. Anyway, Hejnar does ship to Canada and uses USPS, so this would be an option.

Shipping & Returns : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

I want to say again - very high quality and great customer service.
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Starting the images now ... please be patient and understanding as these are NOT PP'd, except for a little level adjustment where needed.
No cropping either. Straight from the camera.
Handheld all.

First one: 500mm ISO 320 f6.3 1/800s at approximately 300 feet away.
Through a window!! (yeah ... not a good way to start but weather is not cooperating)

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Next two images:
1. tree bark: 40 feet away; ISO 320 f6.3 1/800s 500mm
2. church cross: 300-350 feet away; ISO 250 f8 1/1000s 500mm

Last edited by jpzk; 10-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some more ...

Rats !!
Each time I try "manage attachments" and start "upload" , I get an error message saying "connection problem"
Then I go back and the image has actually loaded but not the second one !??
What's going on?

JP

Anyway, here is another one...
500mm f8 1/1000s ISO 200; about 250 feet away from the rescue boats on "the boat"

03-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And one last one for tonight ... I have litterally dozens of them but I am having one heck of a problem to load them up here in one single batch.
Any suggestion(s) anyone?

Lady walking on the pier: 500mm f8 1/1000s ISO 400

03-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just clicked on "View picture EXIF" and it sent me to the main forum page !!
So weird!
I refreshed the screen and now it is behaving OK.

There will be more images very soon when I figure this glitch about loading images here though ...

Cheers for now.