Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
possibly dangerous lenses

As i regularly attempt to feed my LBA, I frequently go to thrift stores to find old lenses and if I am not sure about the mount, i will try to fit them on my camera. I know about the Ricoh pin and avoid those lenses (at least i avoid trying to put them on my camera). But are there any other lenses that would fit the K mount, but be potentially harmful to my beautiful new camera (). As always, I appreciate all of the sage advice I get here from the learned forum users.

02-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apart from Ricoh I have not heard of anything and have not had any issues so far.

There are radioactive lens coating (like on the Super Tak 50 f1.4) but I would not call these dangerous. Best not to press the rear element against your body for extended periods of time - but who would do that?

By the way Ricoh is not a huge problem, in fact some lenses with the Ricoh pin are no problem at all - as longer as it is a rounded pin. I have a Ricoh 70 - 210 and its perfectly fine. Also removing the Ricoh pin is a simple task with the right screw driver - even I can do it and have for a couple of Ricoh lenses.
02-28-2013, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
As i regularly attempt to feed my LBA, I frequently go to thrift stores to find old lenses and if I am not sure about the mount, i will try to fit them on my camera. I know about the Ricoh pin and avoid those lenses (at least i avoid trying to put them on my camera). But are there any other lenses that would fit the K mount, but be potentially harmful to my beautiful new camera (). As always, I appreciate all of the sage advice I get here from the learned forum users.
Don't just go around "trying to fit them on your camera" -- learn what the mount looks like so you'll recognize it. It is either a K-mount or not -- there are no others you should be trying to get to fit. (Nikon can sometimes be force fit, but I don't recommend to the inexperienced.) Does it have a notch in one of the flanges on the bayonet? That's a Konica mount, avoid. Is the aperture lever round? That's a Minolta, avoid. Etc. As far as pins go, just run your finger over the mount -- anything sticking out that DOESN'T retract or is non-rounded (an actual pin instead of a rounded bump)? If so, don't mount it. There is one other thing to look out for -- the flange "guard" that is next to the aperture lever -- sometimes on older lenses (many Vivitars) it is longer than modern lenses and doesn't angle down and will bang into the SDM contacts. It can be dremeled down or removed, but watch out for that. (A lens like that can be mounted on an old Pentax film camera but not a modern Pentax DSLR.) And assume anything any salesperson tells you is all wrong (especially if they are trying to sell you something) unless they have definitely proved they know what they are talking about.
02-28-2013, 01:27 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Buy a cheap extension tube ($6 on ebay), first try those lenses on that. Safe for both camera and the lens. Even if lens get stuck or something unusual happens, easy to handle that way.

02-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I believe, I remember reading somewhere, but can't put my hands on it just now.

There was some older Nikon lenses kinda fitted Pentax, but didn't lock on, hence on slight twist while focusing... broken glass on the floor.

This post should come with the message, as they say on the TV "don't try this at home", I never have.
02-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
There was some older Nikon lenses kinda fitted Pentax, but didn't lock on, hence on slight twist while focusing... broken glass on the floor.
That's true, I've done it, but for someone that can't reliably determine the mount that's an advanced topic. So "Rabbit ears on the side of the mount? It's a Nikon, avoid."
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

Be weary of any third party lens that has PK on it.

I was the victim of a CPC 28 2.8 macro, on my k-x

02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bccgojuryu Quote

Victim how? I thought CPC Phase 2 lenses were made by Pentax -- they should be fine. (Unless they have the big flange like I mentioned.)
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bccgojuryu Quote

No, be wary of any third party lens that has P/K-AR on it...and if it says K/AR it is probably a Konica mount...
02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't just go around "trying to fit them on your camera"
Carry a PK rear lens cap.

H2
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There is one other thing to look out for -- the flange "guard" that is next to the aperture lever -- sometimes on older lenses (many Vivitars) it is longer than modern lenses and doesn't angle down and will bang into the SDM contacts. It can be dremeled down or removed, but watch out for that. .
Definitely a good tip there, I've had several older lenses with that problem. The flange is so long that it hits the SDM contacts when you try to mount the lens. Even had a couple where the flange was just short enough to allow the lens to drop into the mount but then 'bangs' the SDM contact when you try to turn the lens to mount it. Damaged the contacts on my brand new K10 several years back with an old Sigma mirror lens and I never let that one get me again.
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
There are radioactive lens coating (like on the Super Tak 50 f1.4) but I would not call these dangerous. Best not to press the rear element against your body for extended periods of time - but who would do that?
Wait...are you saying I shouldn't cradle my Taks while I sleep?
02-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Wait...are you saying I shouldn't cradle my Taks while I sleep?
As long as you're wearing PJs it should be fine
02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As long as you're wearing PJs it should be fine
Does a hairy chest count?

Steve
02-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The most dangerous lens I have is an old 500mm f/6.3 Vivitar long lens. It's solid metal and glass and could probably do some serious damage when wielded as a weapon.

And it would probably damage my camera pretty severely if I were to drop it on top.

I don't actually have anything useful to add -- the comments above regarding the Ricoh pin, the aperture lever shroud, and the radioactive glass are all well-handled already. Smart bunch of folks here!