Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is there a Takumar 28mm 2.8?

I have been looking at the database and didnt find anything. I have been looking at this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/4643-takumar-2...ntax-lens.html, which was not tooo helpful. And I have been looking at a picture of said lens (Takumar 28 2.8) and what I guess is a 1.4 50 mm Takumar and a black Spotmatic SP, all together for 70 . The spotmatic looks a little banged up (no info about if it works), and as I understood it, these lenses might not be multi coated, but if I wanted to use them (with an adapter) on my MX (shooting B/W), wouldn't that be a fine deal, all in all?

02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the link for the Takumar-A 28mm lens. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Pentax-Takumar-A-28mm-F2.8-Lens.html
But I highly doubt that this is the lens being offered as it would not work on a Spotmatic. The Spotmatic is M42 and lenses for it will need an adapter to work on K-mount as you noted. But K-mount lenses will not work on a Spotmatic.

The real Takumar 28mm is f/3.5. Do you have a picture of the offer? Or can you verify the mount?
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are Takumars and there are Takumars. "Real" Taks are all screw-mounts. They later resurrected the name for a line of budget bayonet K-mounts, and I'd avoid those as a rule.
02-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They're all real - it's just a name - Pentax in their wisdom have used/misused the Takumar name as they saw fit. The Takumar A 28/2.8 is a budget K mount lens with A setting. You don't need an M42 adapter, and it will have auto everything except focus. It doesn't have the SMC coating but it is coated. Considering how much a Pentax A 28/2.8 is going for these days, if you can get a Takumar A 28/2.8 for a bargain, I'd consider it as a good find.

02-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Considering how much a Pentax A 28/2.8 is going for these days, if you can get a Takumar A 28/2.8 for a bargain, I'd consider it as a good find.
...though you might do just as well with any of a number of third-party 28mm lenses with "A" contacts. The Pentax-A 28/2.8 was pretty average when it sold new and the Takumar-A is a step down from that. Sorry to "dis" a lens, but street price new for the Pentax-A was less than a comparible Vivitar back-in-the-day.

Short story is that I would hesitate to pay a premium price for a Pentax-A 28/2.8 and even less so the Takumar-A 28/2.8. Almost all 28mm lenses with a recognizable brand name tend to be pretty good across the board. The same may also be true for many off-brands

Steve
02-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
well, all your wisdom is much appreciated, but this Takumar 28 2.8 screws on to a Spotmatic...:

and is not a Takumar? Just when this imagehosting website blew the picture out of proportion, I noticed that it doesnt say Takumar, but something else on there.. Ratinox?

Last edited by Arvid; 02-28-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: idiocy
02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
well, all your wisdom is much appreciated, but this Takumar 28 2.8 screws on to a Spotmatic...:

and is not a Takumar? Just when this imagehosting website blew the picture out of proportion, I noticed that it doesnt say Takumar, but something else on there.. Ratinox?
Not a Takumar. There never was a M42 28/2.8 made by Asahi and that lens looks nothing like any lens ever made by Asahi. It's just a generic M42 28.
02-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote

All Takumars say Takumar on the lens. There are/where countless of brands of lenses for M42 cameras.

02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Definitely not Takumar. Maybe RAYNOX on it. So a generic m42 lens which might have been made by a number of manufacturers and rebranded. Doesn't mean it is bad, just that the value is likely to be very low. Maybe $10??
02-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Read about it here:
Raynox 28mm anyone used this before
03-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Ok, thank you very much, everybody. I was a little hectic at first, when I thought these were both Takumars and on a black Spotmatic which you'd probably not get for that price. Considering that I don't know if the Camera works at all, 70 for having a 50 mm Tak at best is a little too much. I guess you saved me from buying too much trash at once, again
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not a Takumar. There never was a M42 28/2.8 made by Asahi and that lens looks nothing like any lens ever made by Asahi. It's just a generic M42 28.
B+W filter though

Steve
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There are Takumars and there are Takumars. "Real" Taks are all screw-mounts. They later resurrected the name for a line of budget bayonet K-mounts, and I'd avoid those as a rule.

Why would you avoid them ? Ever have any ? I had two...the 28mm F 2.8 and the 50mm Macro. They worked well.
03-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Why would you avoid them ? Ever have any ? I had two...the 28mm F 2.8 and the 50mm Macro. They worked well.
I believe that they should not be avoid so much as that one should not pay a premium price because of the Takumar name. (Note that they are not branded as Asahi or Pentax.) Think of them as being equivalent to any number of off-brand lenses (many of which are quite good, say the CPC or Cosmicar stablemates) and don't spend too much and enjoy your purchase (or not). If the lens is not up to snuff, sell it to somebody else at an honest price with an honest description of what it is. If it is good, become a disciple and spread the word.

Steve

(...the bayonet "Takumar" lenses always remind me of the Pentax A3/A3000 bodies that they were often sold with...not bad, but not "really" Pentax. When these bodies and lenses first hit the market, it left many of us scratching our heads and wondering why Pentax was going head-to-head with K-mart.)
03-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Why would you avoid them ? Ever have any ?
I also think there is a certain amount of disappointment in Pentax over them, because they took the premium brand 'Takumar' and applied it to a budget lens. As noted above they are not bad lenses, just not what the name would lead you to believe.