Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Next time you are out at the course, take a few moments to shoot some photos in the paddock with both cameras, that should rule out any motion related issues. Also, take some comparative shots with the 50-200 at other focal lengths like 150mm, that will help rule out any problems at the extreme end of the zoom range. This will help you (and us, if you care to post them in a follow up) to figure out if there is some other problem.

I've heard the 50-200 is not very sharp, but that image is really bad. I can see why you are disappointed, and really want to be able to help isolate the problem further.

I think there is a way to upload the EXIF data on your next post. You can also download a free program called exiftool from the Internet -- you'd be surprised at how much extra data your camera stores along with the photo.
Paddock shots are already on my list and I will look into exifttool or something similar. I have been editing the last batch of shots down to a slide show and there are many nice shots but considering how many times I filed my 16g card I would expect more of them ;-\ In any event all that I have learned form you all should help make a difference. I will update when I get more data over the next few weeks. Jane

03-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #32

Original Poster
Best lens for autocross

Hi every one. I just thought I would up date you a bit. I have tested and retested the DAL 50 -200mm. It doesn't appear to have a front or back focus problem. I am looking at the many different idea's and targets on that matter but I think its just a cheap lens. At 200mm full zoom its best between f9.5 and 14 with f11 being its finest point and this is confirmed by the few good shots I have gotten @ f10-14. The lens fares best at 135mm with a more useful range. I may be able to move about more at this weekends event and maybe get to use the 135mm zoom range. Generally, I will be juggling both shutter speed and f-stop and letting the camera worry about the ISO. Shake reduction off, Sport mode- AF.C with tracking, spot focus. Tripod if possible, 1/160-1/200 @ f-11 +\- instead of 1/125. Any other suggestions? Is there a better focus mode? I am saving for the 18-135WR and the 55-300 and looking at mono-pods. Thank you all! Jane