Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But that is quite severe. Though, keep in mind that it will not show as profoundly in all photos, depends on what you are taking photos of.
But its pretty odd that a 50mm would have this problem.
That is what I initially thought until I realized that we are looking at a full-resolution crop of an object some distance from the camera. I don't have a lot of experience with the lens in question, but LoCA is not uncommon wide open with very fast glass. I suspect that what we are seeing is an intrinsic property of the lens design.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Really, you shouldn't be taking color photos with a black-and-white lens. Desaturate!
Huh? Black-and-white lens? Surely you jest!? At the time when this lens was made (early 1970s), color photography was pretty much the norm. Beyond that, CA is a huge issue for B&W work for the same reason as for color. It degrades the image sharpness. With LoCA, the problem is most apparent at or near in-focus elements of the subject. Lateral CA affects the entire frame. The false color is the minor problem. It can be dealt with PP.

Steve

03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh? Black-and-white lens? Surely you jest!?
Indeed. Sometimes you've got to stretch it to make it fit!