Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Painting your lens (now with pictures)!!

Sounds strange I know. I am at work and do not have a photo but will try and get one tonight. I have a Sigma 70-200 and have notices the coating aroung the area of where the tripod holder goes and toward the back of the lens the paint is plealing of. Wondering if there is someone out there that could repaint? Or would this be more a question for Sigma. I have not beat up the lens or do I use the collar all that often. I did get the lens used about 2 years ago and it had little signs of wear. ANy thoughts.

Last edited by vievetrick; 03-01-2008 at 07:23 AM.
02-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What you've described is a known issue with Sigma lenses that were made not too long ago. A couple of my friends have encountered the same issue of flaking/peeling finish on their Sigmas. Don't think there is any remedy.
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Sounds strange I know. I am at work and do not have a photo but will try and get one tonight. I have a Sigma 70-200 and have notices the coating aroung the area of where the tripod holder goes and toward the back of the lens the paint is plealing of. Wondering if there is someone out there that could repaint? Or would this be more a question for Sigma. I have not beat up the lens or do I use the collar all that often. I did get the lens used about 2 years ago and it had little signs of wear. ANy thoughts.
I would leave it alone.

to apply paint causes the release of solvents, potentially spray that can condense on the lens elements and damage coatings, attack any grease that it can get to, .....

I don't see the added value. when you go to sell it, it might actually reduce the value of the lens. used and showing wear is one thing, trying to make it look better than it is, is quite another
02-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to spend the money, the best guys in the business for this type of stuff are auto body repair. They could most likely have it looking brand new. Mine are doing the same thing and I don't worry about and Lowell has a valid point. But you could most likely go to an auto parts supply store and get a colour matched paint that would do a fine DIY touch up.

02-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would just leave it alone as the flaking will progressively happen even with you doing nothing to it. Just an indication of Sigma QC.
02-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Just an indication of Sigma QC.
I wouldn't say that. The chances are that the company making the paints for Sigma made a simple mistake.
This mistake could have been something as simple as using a chemical that's gotten a little too hot or cold at some point of it's life
One bad batch of paint can effect thousands or even millions of lenses. And it might only occur under certain conditions.

And the chances are that it took at least a couple of years for it to show it's self.

blaming Sigma for a problem like that is like me seeing one of your pictures underexposed and saying that you underexpose all your images
02-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I wouldn't say that. The chances are that the company making the paints for Sigma made a simple mistake.
This mistake could have been something as simple as using a chemical that's gotten a little too hot or cold at some point of it's life
One bad batch of paint can effect thousands or even millions of lenses. And it might only occur under certain conditions.

And the chances are that it took at least a couple of years for it to show it's self.

blaming Sigma for a problem like that is like me seeing one of your pictures underexposed and saying that you underexpose all your images
I wouldn't call it a simple mistake.
The friends of mine who have had their Sigma lenses flaking weren't confined to any particular lens mount and the flaking started happening within as early as a couple of months of light use. We're talking their EX - "Excellence", professional series of lenses which are supposed to offer superior build and optical quality.
If it wasn't a problem, why did Sigma decided to change to a more durable finish of their current range of lenses?

02-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If it wasn't a problem, why did Sigma decided to change to a more durable finish of their current range of lenses?
Why not ask Chevy, and all other car manufacturers whom have had the same problem why they've switched to a more durable finish.
They'll all say the same answer. Because they found out about the problem and fixxed it.

If you ask them about what caused the problem they won't give you an honest answer, however you just know that it was an honest mistake they never wanted it to happen.

It still doesn't mean that the quality of their product was junk.
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

An honest mistake? That's putting it mildly. As good as the optical performance of their lenses may have been, the flaking finish got some photographers swearing off Sigma and I'm sure that it had an effect on sales. After all, who want to pay good money for a lens and find the finish flaking off shortly after? You don't hear this problem with the other lens manufacturers. Good for them that they have rectified the finish issue, but if this isn't a QC issue, I don't know what is.
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

An honest mistake? That's putting it mildly. As good as the optical performance of their lenses may have been, the flaking finish got some photographers swearing off Sigma and I'm sure that it had an effect on sales. After all, who want to pay good money for a lens and find the finish flaking off shortly after? You don't hear this problem with the other lens manufacturers. Good for them that they have rectified the finish issue, but if this isn't a QC issue, I don't know what is.
2 years is not exactly shortly after.. and if the IQ is great, I really don't mind. I'll be waiting anxiously for my Sigmas to start flaking :]
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Personally if my Sigma lenses paint starts faking I'll look into having it all removed and polishing them up

creampuff, How many of the new Pentax DA* 16-50 lenses have people had problems with?
And do you see those people swearing off buying Pentax glass altogether?
And that was a serious issue, unlike flaking paint. It's something that I believe was also an honest mistake.
02-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally if my Sigma lenses paint starts faking I'll look into having it all removed and polishing them up

creampuff, How many of the new Pentax DA* 16-50 lenses have people had problems with?
And do you see those people swearing off buying Pentax glass altogether?
And that was a serious issue, unlike flaking paint. It's something that I believe was also an honest mistake.
To your first question, I can't say, only the folks at Pentax can answer that. Just that here in Singapore those I know who have bought the DA* 16-50 have so far not made any complaints relating to the image quality. However reading the many posts on this forum about sharpness issues whether real or perceived have made some cautious in making an outright purchase of this lens without prior testing. If I were ever to buy the DA* 16-50 without first testing it at the shop, I probably might not.

To your second question, I'm sure many people, myself included prefer buying Pentax lenses for a number of reasons- compatibility, colour rendition, weather-sealing, design, build quality, optical performance, pride of ownership, suitability of use, price, warranty/after-sales service, etc.

Again I wouldn't consider the flaking finish to be any less serious an issue. Yes it has no bearing on the optical or mechanical performance. However those who bought them new must surely feel disappointed that they paid good money for a product only to find this issue cropping up. Secondly, it probably might have a bearing on the second hand value of the lens should they decide to sell it later.
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #13

Get it painted off-white so that the canonites will do a double-take
02-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Get it painted off-white so that the canonites will do a double-take

best answer yet.
02-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, guys it has been a crapy week and so not had a chance to shoot the lens to show what I mean. I love the lens and Ben, your answer is classic. The lens is much older then 2 years and more like 4 or 5 even. I bought it used from someone. Not sure what I will do hence me asking. I would never swear off Sigma becuase of this. The images I get with it far outway a little paint issue for sure. I bet I could still get a decent price for it if I wanted to sell it paint issue or not. Thanks all for the response and loos like it cuased a slight debate. I still will post the picture of the lens and contiplate what to do if anything. It is black under the paint so really not a big, big deal, Yet.