Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #31

I hope you'll post some of the photos here.

03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

too late to this party...

I'm a tad late to this party...so I'm hoping you went with WIDE WIDE and MORE WIDE....

Having been in a B-17 before, I can tell ya, there ain't much room. Besure to check out the thickness of the skin of this air plane. Its incredibly THIN!!

Now picture yourself at 20,000 feet, un-pressurized, and someone shooting at you....

Gives you a HUGE respect for the guys who did it day in and day out, so many years ago!

Hope you enjoyed the ride....and waiting for the pics....
03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here are some photos from the trip. No editing yet, just resized to make them smaller. Interior shots are poor. Maybe next time I'll benefit from what I learned today. Also, I'm just too big a guy for the forward area with the bomb sight and front nose plexi. The Radio Operators station is where I spent most of the flight. The hatch was open so I got a couple shots from that looking back at the tail.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo         
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now you need to find a B-29!

03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Now you need to find a B-29!
The World's only flying B-29 Superfortress is "FiFi" and she is only touring out West.

El Paso, Tx February 21-24

Tucson, Az February 25-27

Phoenix, Az (Mesa Gateway) ​March 1-3

Phoenix, Az (Deer Valley) ​March 4-6

MCAS Yuma, Az ​March 8-10

San Diego, CA March 11-13

Palm Springs, CA March 14-17

Camarillo, CA ​March 18-20

Burbank, CA ​March 21-24

Las Vegas, NV March 27-30

Albuquerque, NM April 1-3
03-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can better that...phone cam...

Steve

(Sorry could not resist...)
If the quality is as good as a S95- why not?

Something I always wondered about - with something as complex as a WWII bomber that has been out of production for generations what do they do for parts to keep it functional?
Cannibalize junkers or expensive custom shop work? Both?
03-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The World's only flying B-29 Superfortress is "FiFi" and she is only touring out West.
Two words: Road Trip!

03-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Something I always wondered about - with something as complex as a WWII bomber that has been out of production for generations what do they do for parts to keep it functional? Cannibalize junkers or expensive custom shop work? Both?
Both. Engines are expensive, but there are enough civil aircraft with radial engines still flying (especially in South America / Africa) for there to be a small supply stream for parts. For airframe or structural components, it's either cannibalization or frabrication. IIRC, Liberty Bell (the one that burned in 2011) was actually parts from two aircraft grafted together. I remember reading that one of the B-17s had been grounded because of cracks in the main wing spar. It took a year or two to fund, fab, & install a replacement.
03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I remember reading that one of the B-17s had been grounded because of cracks in the main wing spar.
Another expense - this is not just another amateur backyard mechanic job. They have to pretty much conform to the same flight ready regulations and status as any other modern craft.
You don't fly over populated areas with a B17 held together with duct tape.
03-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Both. Engines are expensive, but there are enough civil aircraft with radial engines still flying (especially in South America / Africa) for there to be a small supply stream for parts. For airframe or structural components, it's either cannibalization or frabrication. IIRC, Liberty Bell (the one that burned in 2011) was actually parts from two aircraft grafted together. I remember reading that one of the B-17s had been grounded because of cracks in the main wing spar. It took a year or two to fund, fab, & install a replacement.
Computer controlled machining has been a boon for things like this. I'm not talking about the printer type equipment, although someday I expect it to also help, but 5 and 7 axis cutting machines allow the production of one of a kind parts far easier and cheaper than ever before. It's amazing how far they have come in 20 years, let alone the 70 years since this aircraft was built.
03-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Guess what flew over my house at just a few thousand feet on Saturday (not Sunday) afternoon? Yep, a B-17. You probably think I am lying, but I ain't. I was working on the driveway and he flew over low enough that I could see the roundels on the side. What airport were you flying out of?

edit... wait, it was sunny outside so it may have been yesterday, I can't remember.
03-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I caught FiFi last year!

03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Guess what flew over my house at just a few thousand feet on Saturday (not Sunday) afternoon? Yep, a B-17. You probably think I am lying, but I ain't. I was working on the driveway and he flew over low enough that I could see the roundels on the side. What airport were you flying out of?

edit... wait, it was sunny outside so it may have been yesterday, I can't remember.
Saturday was nasty with some snow but Sunday was beautiful. I believe you - we were at a max altitude of 1500ft, flying out of DeKalb Peachtree Airport and did a 25 minute circuit that took us around downtown, out to Stone Mountain, and back to PDK.
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I came to the thread late, would have suggest wide 15mm ish, lets see some more of these images, you must a good few that you've not shown us yet.
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Saturday was nasty with some snow but Sunday was beautiful. I believe you - we were at a max altitude of 1500ft, flying out of DeKalb Peachtree Airport and did a 25 minute circuit that took us around downtown, out to Stone Mountain, and back to PDK.
Well, small world as they say, as I live in Tucker. You were on route from PDK to Stone Mountain as the plane was headed ESE. I'm jealous! Please post some more photos (good or bad) when you get a chance.