Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a B-17, I don't think light will be a problem - windows everywhere, except in the bomb bay. I agree that wider is better, although I got this with a Tammy 18-250.

(Interior of the Military Aviation Museum's B17G on a sunny day, sticking my arm in the rear door and pointing forward)

03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
Remember to also turn OFF the in camera SR; due to the vibration of the plane and all.

Cannot begin to count the number of cameras and lens' that have had their SR, VR (or whatever they want to call it) damaged by having the camera on a moving vehicle.
03-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I knew that folks would be able to help me sort through it ahead of time. I'm likely to only have one shot at this so I need to be prepared to both enjoy the experience and take a few, hopefully good, photos too.

Wider seems the best way to go. I will have a full kit in the car, including tripod, for afterwards when we are on the ground.

In the air I am thinking about taking 3 lenses - the Tamron 10-24 because its wide and AF, the Samyang 8 because its wider and does nearly 180 degrees, and the 40Ltd because its so small. I can get away with one small lens bag that way, still pocket the 40 and an extra battery, and have everything attached to my body without it being too bulky.

We are allowed to move about the aircraft once it is airborne but there will be 9 passengers in a rather small space.

Weather here is cold with light snow today. Tomorrow's high is to be 40ish. I'm thinking layers with a wind barrier and convertible gloves in addition to hearing protection.

Thanks for the tip about turning off SR - I would not have thought of that if Medium FormatPro hadn't mentioned it. Thanks.
03-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #19

Have a great flight.

03-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to zero in the Tamron 10-24. I have no idea what happened but its out of whack (technical term) and I just can't seem to get it. So, Plan B - Limiteds. 15 - 40 - 70. Small, sharp, and fairly wide for the 15. I'll take the 8 with me too.
03-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother went up in a B-17 maybe 10 years ago when he was a TV news photographer. He had to take whatever they were using for a video camera at the time, so he picked up a disposable film camera and took personal shots with that. He counts one of these as one of his best photos ever.
03-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Remember to also turn OFF the in camera SR; due to the vibration of the plane and all.

Cannot begin to count the number of cameras and lens' that have had their SR, VR (or whatever they want to call it) damaged by having the camera on a moving vehicle.
That is a new one for me. It is my understanding that the in-camera SR on a Pentax is only active when the shutter is partially engaged and only effective when the green hand appears.

Is there a caution in the manual or some sort of bulletin from Pentax regarding this hazard?

Steve

03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sweet! I'd take the 8mm on the camera and put the 15mm in my pocket.
03-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're holding the camera, there is no real vibration transmitted. If it was bolted to a vibrating surface, I could see a very small chance of mechanical problems regardless if SR is on or off.

I left mine on as normal.
03-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I only had my 18-200 Sigma with me for my B-17 and B-25 flights in Seattle
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
03-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

If it was me I would take my Canon S95 and leave it at that.

Excellent low light performance, wide to mild tele, and perhaps most important for the confined interior of a plane, almost infinite DOF.
BTW you can slip the thing in your shirt pocket and be done with it.
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
If it was me I would take my Canon S95 and leave it at that.

Excellent low light performance, wide to mild tele, and perhaps most important for the confined interior of a plane, almost infinite DOF.
BTW you can slip the thing in your shirt pocket and be done with it.
I can better that...phone cam...

Steve

(Sorry could not resist...)
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second that

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Wide
I went on a walk-through tour of B-17 Fuddy Duddy
(Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn fly-in "Music and Air Fair", late 1990's)
and was surprised how cramped it was inside.

Chris
03-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to comment on the choice of lenses, but I can express my jealousy! What an excellent gift.
I look forward to your shots, and your adrenaline fueled commentary on the flight.
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got back. Took the 8mm FE, 15Ltd, and 40Ltd airborne with me. Ended up using the 8mm almost exclusively inside the plane. Unfortunately, I am too big a person to go to the nose section, so I spent most of the flight at the Radio Operators station with the overhead gun port open the entire flight. Quite an experience. I got some good shots on the ground both when parked and when taxing and taking off. I've now flown in two of Boeing's bombers - the 17 and the 52. More fun in the 17.