Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ah that's what I thought. Thank you guys so much. Lucky for me I have another model to shoot tomorrow. I can learn from my mistakes from today.

Last edited by ChuckB28; 05-20-2014 at 10:20 AM.
03-03-2013, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

There is this rule in classical photography to keep the shutter speed at least 1/(focal length), but with APSC sensors, people even like to push it to 1/(2*focal length). So I would try keeping it faster than 1/100. Since you have a K-5II, you shouldn't worry about using a higher ISO, the camera deals with noise very well. Alternatively, you might want to use an external flash (bounced or diffused) and stop down to f8 and a low ISO.
Oh, and one more tip, if you shoot raw, you might want to overexpose the photos a little bit when using high ISO, and then bring the brightness down a little when processing them. That will reduce noise a little bit and keep a good colour saturation. Hope I'm not being presumptuous and giving advice you already know lol
03-03-2013, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've actually shot hand-held slower than 1/15, and got nice sharp results, but, that also was using flash. Ordinarily though, I wouldn't shoot that slow unless there was a specific goal in mind. IMHO the magic of the 43 Ltd is better represented at wider apertures than f8 though, especially for portraits. I find that for single subjects, f2.0 works nicely with this lens; for two people f2.8 is a safer bet, just to make sure your DOF covers both. (Those are generally full-body shots or 3/4 length, just to qualify my statement. Distance to subject of course greatly affects the depth of field.) Works great to highlight the subject while blurring the background nicely. But that is just my own personal preference. Feel free to experiment and do whatever works for you!
03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks guys!!!