Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax 16-50 F2.8 vs Tamron 17-50 F2.8 - Questions about size/weight ?

Anybody who has used these two lenses, is there a noticeable difference between the size/weight with these lenses while walking around ?

I'm thinking of selling the Tamron and getting the Pentax since I'll be moving to the wet NW soon

03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been a while since I've held both in my hands (my daughter has the Tammy for her Canon system) but my recollection was that the DA*16-50 is a bit heavier than that Tammy but they both are similar in size. The data base lists the Tammy at 440g and the Pentax at 565g. I 'think' the Pentax has a larger hood too. Bottom line though is that these are similar lenses in size and weight with the Pentax being a bit on the heavier side. The DA*16-50 is my main lens and I usually have it on my K5 with the battery grip. I'm very used to it's weight.

All of that is to say that I don't think there is any really big difference.
03-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Anybody who has used these two lenses, is there a noticeable difference between the size/weight with these lenses while walking around ?
The 16-50 is significantly bigger and heavier! I tried both out and kept the Tamron. The Pentax looks and feels nicer but too heavy for me. The Tamron looks and feels cheap but I personally found it much sharper than the Pentax. The other reason I kept the Tamron is because, the filter size is 67mm same as my other favorite lens, the Pentax 50-135. I would have preferred to both pentax lenses, what the WR and all. But went with the Tamron. So my travel kit is 2 cameras, one with the Tamron 17-50 and the other with the Pentax 50-135. Works well for me. If the 16-50 is as rumored going to be updated, I will wait for that and see.
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: [deleted]
03-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If the 16-50 is as rumored going to be updated, I will wait for that and see.
Hmm, I haven't heard that. I may just hold off on getting that one in 2013 then. Guess I'll have to take 18-135 on the wet days.
03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmm, I haven't heard that. I may just hold off on getting that one in 2013 then. Guess I'll have to take 18-135 on the wet days.
be warned, its just a rumor. Supposedly pentax will bring out a DA* 16-85 f4 lens or something like that. It was somewhere in these forums not long ago but who knows whether it will pan out.
03-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

I'm thinking of selling the Tamron and getting the Pentax since I'll be moving to the wet NW soon
I have both. DA* 16-50/2.8 is considerably bigger and heavier. Here are couple of pics that shows the difference:

Tamron is smaller and lighter. Also it is better wide open, especially at long end. Here you have to make choise: Do you want to pay premium for the DA* build quality over the Tamron (especially WR)? If WR is not absolute necessity, get Tamron if you are buying new. Put the money saved for extra lens, buy a trip or buy something nice to your wife/girlfriend. Tamron can produce very nice images.

That said I tend to prefer DA* over the Tamron even Tamron is better optically. DA* seems to produce more naturally looking images out-of-the-box (Tamron has warm cast) and DA* colors look better to my eyes. Also I like the feel and build quality of the DA* very much, that much that I haven't used Tamron since I got DA*. Most of the optical flaws are correctable in post processing (ie. in Lightroom with lens profiles) so I don't care much it being optically worse. DA* can get soft on the corners especially at wide end, which is the only real downside it has IMO (other being maybe failure prone SDM of the earlier versions of this lens which can be countered by converting lens to srewdrive).

I would say that DA* is worth twice the price of Tamron AT MOST. Nothing more.

And with DA* you can take posing pictures like this, if it's worth anything to you