Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vintage lenses incapable of high shutter speeds - is this normal?

Asking, as I noticed my Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 won't fire at stupid-fast shutter speeds. I was worried until I stuck my kit lens on the K-30 and it fired off a 1/6000 with no problems.

I remember when my K-x died, up to when it finally conked out I was experiencing similar issues, but in hindsight I was again using old, manual focus lenses on it which would account for that rather than the 'modern' stuff.

Are old lenses simply incapable of firing fast, or is it an issue of age causing them to get a bit pokey when asked to be pushed like that on an individual-lens level?

03-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

My K55/1.8 has no problem at all firing at 1/8000s.
03-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure you can use any shutter speed, were you in M mode at the time?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Vintage lenses incapable of high shutter speeds - is this normal?
No, it's not - the aperture lever for vintage k-mount lenses is nearly unchanged from today's aperture lever in pentax lenses, the lens should actuate exactly the same. Also, when you say "fire", what exactly do you mean? Are you getting an over-exposed picture or is the shutter release button just not triggering the shutter?

03-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Or do you have catch in focus on? Slide the AF / M switch to M. If in AF position the shutter will not fire unless the focus confirmation is illuminated.
03-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wide open, set for whatever ISO the camera desires, and I get shots with the top of the image blackened because the camera didn't open up fast enough. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, it would be a mirror image, not a lens issue. I'll post a shot or two in a few when I can get at them to show what I mean.
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, in going back in and trying to get a decent set of example photos I think I figured out my issue.

I like to use Energizer rechargables, butwhen I sent my wife to the store a few days ago to pick me up another set, she picked up Rayovacs instead.

I remember when I stuck them in the AA adapter thinking "Cripes, these feel sloppy..."

They also (despite being 'precharged' were mostly dead coming out of the package. Or so I thought as the K-30 immediately went 'yellow' for the charge indicator. I stuck them in the charger - again thinking "Geeze these feel sloppy", pulled them out after a bit and went on my way with them in the camera.

Going back in and looking at my Lightroom images (or rather, images I shot at 1/6000 of a second) I realized this problem isn't inherent to the lens used, it was a camera issue, or more specifically a "shots taken with the Rayovacs" issue.

It was the batteries.

Check this nonsense out.

03-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

OK, in going back in and trying to get a decent set of example photos I think I figured out my issue.

I like to use Energizer rechargables, butwhen I sent my wife to the store a few days ago to pick me up another set, she picked up Rayovacs instead.

I remember when I stuck them in the AA adapter thinking "Cripes, these feel sloppy..."

They also (despite being 'precharged' were mostly dead coming out of the package. Or so I thought as the K-30 immediately went 'yellow' for the charge indicator. I stuck them in the charger - again thinking "Geeze these feel sloppy", pulled them out after a bit and went on my way with them in the camera.

Going back in and looking at my Lightroom images (or rather, images I shot at 1/6000 of a second) I realized this problem isn't inherent to the lens used, it was a camera issue, or more specifically a "shots taken with the Rayovacs" issue.

It was the batteries.

Check this nonsense out.

Ever consider Sanyo Eneloops?.

03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've heard them mentioned, but I have a bunch of sets of the Energizers and they've never failed me, so... eh. Until I see the need, I'll pass, though this annoyed me in and of itself because I couldn't fathom what the heck was going on until it clicked for me.
03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Ever consider Sanyo Eneloops?.
I've used them for a couple of years now,
but have recently obtained some of the Energizer Recharges,
and they seem to be equally as good.
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

@Sagitta, can we tempt you to add a review to

Rayovac Hybrid Pre-Charged / Low-Self Discharge Rechargeable NiMh reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

as a warning to other potential users?
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
@Sagitta, can we tempt you to add a review to

Rayovac Hybrid Pre-Charged / Low-Self Discharge Rechargeable NiMh reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

as a warning to other potential users?
Just did. These are different from the ones you linked, so I added a new entry into the database, though I'd think that if all the batteries come from a similar source, caveat emptor in general with the brand.

Last edited by Sagitta; 03-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.