03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma makes great lenses

03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I have the same problem with my 30mm 1.4. I checked AF and added a +7 adjustment for close focusing, but it looks like infinity focus is off now because of the adjustment. It is not a big deal because I would normally use MF for landscape shots anyway, but I thought about sending it to Sigma for calibration.
Can you tell me how much that cost to send in yours for calibration? Did you send your camera with the lens?

Mike
It was free. I sent my camera and lens in, along with my original warranty card. It took 4 days shipping each way, and about 2 days at Sigma. It felt like I lost half of January, though.
03-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Living in NY, Sigma is pretty cool to work with. When my Sigma 50 F1.4 got damaged, I sent it to their facilities on Long Island. It took a few weeks to get done and back, but it was pretty painless.
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I don't really have any brand loyalty as far as lenses go. I have Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron all in my bag and all for different reasons. Sigma has a lot of quality behind it.

If I could add any lens to my bag it very well could be the Sigma 70-200!

03-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I don't really have any brand loyalty as far as lenses go. I have Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron all in my bag and all for different reasons. Sigma has a lot of quality behind it.

If I could add any lens to my bag it very well could be the Sigma 70-200!
you wouldn't be sorry

thanks

randy
03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
It was free. I sent my camera and lens in, along with my original warranty card. It took 4 days shipping each way, and about 2 days at Sigma. It felt like I lost half of January, though.
Thanks for the information!
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my 30mm 1.4. I checked AF and added a +7 adjustment for close focusing, but it looks like infinity focus is off now because of the adjustment. It is not a big deal because I would normally use MF for landscape shots anyway, but I thought about sending it to Sigma for calibration.
Can you tell me how much that cost to send in yours for calibration? Did you send your camera with the lens?

Mike
I know your question was already answered, but here are some more details.

If the lens is under warranty, there is no charge for the calibration.
Send your camera with the lens for calibration.
The 2 times I sent mine in, the turn around was 24 hours which was great.
To make things flow nicely, fill out the "Online Repair Order" on the linked page before you send it it.

Service & Support | Sigma

I sent mine to them USPS Priority Mail which took 2 days (they are in Long Island NY) - 24 hours in house - shipped back (no charge) via FedEx Ground which took 2 days.

--------------------------------------

And about the subject at hand - I kind of gave up on Sigma lenses last year. When I buy an expensive lens, I expect it to perform like it was meant to. I bought 2 new EX Sigma lenses last year, and both had pretty bad back focus issues. I ended up just sending them back to the vendor and gave up. I know lot of folks say to just send it in to Sigma with your camera and it will be good - why should I have to do that with a brand new lens?
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had plenty of Sigma glass over the years and with the exception of a few from the late 70's/ early 80's that started to show some separation in the last few years (and they saw some very harsh conditions over the years) I have only ever had an issue with one lens, a Super-Wide II 24mm A type lens. This was one of the first lenses that I had with a set of "A" contacts (right after my Sigma 21-35 which was one of the widest angled 35mm zooms in its time). When I got the lens none of my cameras had contacts so I didn't discover for years that the contacts it had had the wrong pattern and would register the max aperture as F4 rather than F2.8. No big deal though as I had always shot it, and still occasionally shoot it, in manual mode, and while I own my share of Pentax glass (as well as other brands) I still use Sigmas on a regular basis, my 10-20 as well as my 50-500 are a couple of my favorites. BTW the few times that I have had to call Sigma service I found them to be very friendly and responsive with a very quick turn around time, maybe just a fluke, but I have always been very happy with Sigma.

03-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
you wouldn't be sorry

thanks

randy
Wells Fargo might beg to differ.
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Wells Fargo might beg to differ.
I've owned 4 modern Sigmas, the 10-20, the 105 macro, the 150-500, and the 500mm. Each has been consistent with my expectations and independent reviews. Sigma lenses tend to be bigger/heavier than their Pentax counterparts and they are not weather sealed. You tend to get value on image quality compared to Pentax. Their HSM lenses are reliable compared to Pentax SDM. If you buy new you'll take a bigger hit on resale value than with Pentax. My experience with service at their U.S. headquarters on Long Island has been very positive. They actually have Japanese guys in white shirts in there fixing things. They know what they are doing. They're also, so far as I know, the only Japanese camera company that still makes everything in the "homeland". I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sigma anymore than I would hesitate and consider any lens purchase. They make some very good and competitive products.
03-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I sold my tamron 90 for extra cash a few months ago and just recenlty bought a sigma 105 macro. The Sigma feel much more solid as it close focuses, the barrel just extendeds so smooth. I didnt get much use out of the 90 and hardly have 100 shots on the sigma so i dont have much to say for IQ between them.
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Just owned a Sigma 70 2.8 macro. Blown me away with sharpness and limiter so it can be used as normal and macro lens. . If only they have wr...
03-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
I've owned 4 modern Sigmas, the 10-20, the 105 macro, the 150-500, and the 500mm. Each has been consistent with my expectations and independent reviews. Sigma lenses tend to be bigger/heavier than their Pentax counterparts and they are not weather sealed. You tend to get value on image quality compared to Pentax. Their HSM lenses are reliable compared to Pentax SDM. If you buy new you'll take a bigger hit on resale value than with Pentax. My experience with service at their U.S. headquarters on Long Island has been very positive. They actually have Japanese guys in white shirts in there fixing things. They know what they are doing. They're also, so far as I know, the only Japanese camera company that still makes everything in the "homeland". I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sigma anymore than I would hesitate and consider any lens purchase. They make some very good and competitive products.
Completely agree! It's not that I don't think they're a good value, it's more that I just don't have $1000 to drop on a lens so soon after buying my new camera body!

I do wish Sigma (and Tamron for that matter) had more of a weather-ready line-up. Being in Minnesota can mandate a WR lens quite often.
03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I know your question was already answered, but here are some more details.

If the lens is under warranty, there is no charge for the calibration.
Send your camera with the lens for calibration.
The 2 times I sent mine in, the turn around was 24 hours which was great.
To make things flow nicely, fill out the "Online Repair Order" on the linked page before you send it it.

Service & Support | Sigma

I sent mine to them USPS Priority Mail which took 2 days (they are in Long Island NY) - 24 hours in house - shipped back (no charge) via FedEx Ground which took 2 days.

--------------------------------------

And about the subject at hand - I kind of gave up on Sigma lenses last year. When I buy an expensive lens, I expect it to perform like it was meant to. I bought 2 new EX Sigma lenses last year, and both had pretty bad back focus issues. I ended up just sending them back to the vendor and gave up. I know lot of folks say to just send it in to Sigma with your camera and it will be good - why should I have to do that with a brand new lens?

Thanks very much for the info, Stan. That's a big help. I appreciate it!

I can certainly relate to your dissatisfaction with the common back focus issues with Sigma and the hassle of calibration.
It's also annoying that Sigma uses the same lens ID for some of its lenses, so individual lens AF adjustments in the K-5 become an issue. For me, it boiled down to cost and IQ compared to Pentax. If I had deep pockets, it would be a different story. Sigma is far from perfect but does offer some good bang for the buck with the noted caveat of the focusing issues.
03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for the info, Stan. That's a big help. I appreciate it!

I can certainly relate to your dissatisfaction with the common back focus issues with Sigma and the hassle of calibration.
It's also annoying that Sigma uses the same lens ID for some of its lenses, so individual lens AF adjustments in the K-5 become an issue. For me, it boiled down to cost and IQ compared to Pentax. If I had deep pockets, it would be a different story. Sigma is far from perfect but does offer some good bang for the buck with the noted caveat of the focusing issues.
I agree 100%!

And from some of what I've read around the forum, it seems Sigma may be stepping up the QC a notch. I was a bit disgruntled with them for a while, but not so much now as I would be willing to give them a try again. One thing for sure is their customer service at the LI service center is top notch which means a lot.