Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Sharp as ?

Hi, I'm mainly a manual lens user but now have a grandson who is moving faster than I can focus. So I'm looking for your opinion on the sharpness of the DA 35mm 2.4AL, I like the focal length for in the home, is it as good as ?. (A50 1.7, kit lens 18-55, M40 2.8, SMC 50 1.4 etc.) just where does it fit in?
Regards Dave

Last edited by originalwinger; 03-05-2013 at 04:29 AM.
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
It's also a matter of construction. If one were to physically handle the 35mm f2.4 aqnd then compare it to other PK lens'... It is to my understanding that the 35 is basically all plastic contstruction - especially with the lens mount. As for sharpness; there are two good things that the 35mm has going for it; the aspherical element and also the fact that it isn't a zoom. Beyond that I cannot think of anything major about it. Beyond rather minor w/r I'd also have to question that durability and longativity of such a lens. The price point is also above average, but true photographers always claim that one gets what they pay for.

To compare further. The 35mm f2.4 is better than the kit 18-55 lens - at least optically and in the aperature. If one really wants sharpness then give any of the 50mm's a try - especially the higher end Pentax variation (if yoou are willng to perhaps wait long enough for it to be restocked), or better yet one of the Sigma variations.
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, compared to my M 50mm f1.7.. I think its not quite as good, optically. Wide open it has some axial aberration (but only wide open). But its much better than the DA L 18-55, even though the 18-55 has its sweet spot around 35mm. I also have the 40mm XS f2.8, which I think is a little sharper and maybe has faster AF, but at f2.8 its a bit dark for indoor use.

In terms of AF its pretty fast, as fast as the camera can go. Its slightly wider than the 50mm, which is great, but its not quite as bright. Keep in mind that 50mm lenses are traditionally fast and have great IQ, so its kind of hard to compare other primes to them. You might also be interested in the DA 50mm f1.8.

But I do recommend the DA 35mm. It was my first DA prime and I don't regret getting it. You can find sample photos in the lens review database on these forums. For the price, its a great lens.
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not as sharp as the M50 1.4 at F2.4 and F2.8. It's as sharp as the M50 1.4 at F4-F11.
It's sharper than the M40 F2.8, especially in the corners.
It's sharper than the 18-55 except at 28mm and F8. At the kit len's best settings, it's about equal. I think I have images somewhere that show this.
It's not as sharp as the A50 F1.7 - but only by a small margin when stopping down to F4-F11.

I have the M50 1.7 (same as A50 F1.7), the M40 F2.8, and I used to have the DA 35 F2.4 and the DA L 18-55.

03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

From PZ test result, it is very sharp and it hit the top at f/4.
Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.4 AL - Review / Lens Test - Analysis
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #6

It's really really sharp and it's super cheap. Corners look good wide open and there are less aberrations than my 17-70.
03-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
It's really really sharp and it's super cheap. Corners look good wide open and there are less aberrations than my 17-70.
Thank you, the real life comparisons allow me to visualize what to expect out of the box and the Photozone review is on the positive side. Now to find one, Henry's have none in stock, will have to check Amazon or E-bay. That poses another question, if I order from Amazon.ca the item could be shipped from anywhere in the world, does the 2 year Canadian warranty apply or the 1 year Worldwide? Does anyone know? Thanks again.
Dave
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
if I order from Amazon.ca the item could be shipped from anywhere in the world,
I'm not sure if that is true. You can probably choose the dealer.
What about B&H and Adorama? You can order through the Pentax Forums link and help out the forum a little

03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not sure if that is true. You can probably choose the dealer.
What about B&H and Adorama? You can order through the Pentax Forums link and help out the forum a little
Thanks Na Horuk, B&H and Adorama are both $217.00, in Ontario the price is $199 and I really should support the local stores, Henry's or Pro Digital, I have e-mailed Pentax Canada to see about the warranty via Amazon.
Dave
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Thanks Na Horuk, B&H and Adorama are both $217.00, in Ontario the price is $199 and I really should support the local stores, Henry's or Pro Digital, I have e-mailed Pentax Canada to see about the warranty via Amazon.
Dave
Hi just passing information along from Pentax Canada, Pentax lenses bought from Amazon.ca will receive a two year warranty

Items purchased from Amazon.ca are covered by a two year warranty (One Year International + an additional One Year Canadian) . Items purchased through Amazon.com are only covered by the International warranty. There is also a handling fee of $50.00 levied on International Warranty repairs by the Service Dept.

Best regards
Dave