Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #16

Original Poster
Also, what do you think of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, and will the 35mm f2.4 be sharp enough on ff? Would the 20mm f2.8 be a sharp option for uwa?

03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sigma 70/2.8
DA15
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #18

It depends on how people consider sharpness. From the test result, I don't think it is sharp until f/2.8. On the K5, the result maybe a bit different. However, if it is not sharp on a K10D, there is a high chance that it is not sharp on a K5.
Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f/1.4 - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis & Verdict
03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #19

Original Poster
I am looking at the 43mm limited. I think 50's a bit tight for outdoor use. Maybe I would use a 20 or 24mm, 35mm, 43mm, 70mm, 85mm, and my 70-200?

Do you guys recommend the fa24 or the 20mm ? The 24mm seems to get mixed reviews but the colors look awesome. The 43mm can be had used at SRS right now for £450, and the fa24 sells for £450 too. I can't seem to find the 20mm for sale in the UK. The sigma 85 is ALSO around 450. I would probably invest in the 24mm first.

03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Your f/1.7 is sharper, actually most if not all of the very fast primes arent that (razor) sharp but you don't buy them for that.
You buy them for the shallow DOF and the rendition of the image they make.

There is also another option.
How well do you like your Sigma 70mm? you could go for the DFA100WR... better build quality and image quality.

But in all honesty, it's not when but if pentax will come with a FF, they are saying for 8 years already that they are intersting and looking at the FF camera, they even build a test model at one point... If you really want or need FF then your better off looking and investing in another system. Many keep the Pentax with some select but excelent lenses on the side when they don't need the FF.
03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
so 43 f1.9 or 50 f1.4?
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

They are both atractive for different reasons, it comes down to taste between those two not who is better.

03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

since they are both good.
03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
so 43 f1.9 or 50 f1.4?
The FA50/1.4 seriously benefits from a hood. Unlike most of the other modernish 50s from Pentax it has nearly no recess for the front element. If money is no object the 43 gets better ratings across the board and is a wee bit better on APS-C than the 50 from a normal perspective standpoint IMHO.
03-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is also another option.
How well do you like your Sigma 70mm? you could go for the DFA100WR... better build quality and image quality.

But in all honesty, it's not when but if pentax will come with a FF, they are saying for 8 years already that they are intersting and looking at the FF camera, they even build a test model at one point... If you really want or need FF then your better off looking and investing in another system. Many keep the Pentax with some select but excelent lenses on the side when they don't need the FF.
I am in love with my Sigma 70, it is super sharp. The fact that its ff is just a bonus. My 70-200 is very sharp on ff. I don't want to move to a hard to use and very heavy nikon or canon system which are inferior to pentax.
03-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You're saying that Nikon and canon are heavy but half of the lenses you've are of third party so they remain the same size and weight.
As for the camera, there is no FF from Pentax to compare it to, so any existing FF system is better then a non existing FF.

I'm just saying instead of focusing on something that might very well always remain fantasy, why not get lenses that work well on the system you've now in your hands and are actually using.
When a Pentax FF comes that will also mean that new lenses will come so investing in lenses that aren't optimized for digital (yes there is a difference) might not be ideal, certainly not with FF because the angle is sharper at the corners then with ASP-C.
03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You're saying that Nikon and canon are heavy but half of the lenses you've are of third party so they remain the same size and weight.
As for the camera, there is no FF from Pentax to compare it to, so any existing FF system is better then a non existing FF.

I'm just saying instead of focusing on something that might very well always remain fantasy, why not get lenses that work well on the system you've now in your hands and are actually using.
When a Pentax FF comes that will also mean that new lenses will come so investing in lenses that aren't optimized for digital (yes there is a difference) might not be ideal, certainly not with FF because the angle is sharper at the corners then with ASP-C.
How are the FA lenses not optimized for digital? I just want to buy some primes that give me the option of using them on ff. I am just asking for lens suggestions. I don't want a nikon or canon and never will.
03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
How are the FA lenses not optimized for digital? I just want to buy some primes that give me the option of using them on ff. I am just asking for lens suggestions. I don't want a nikon or canon and never will.
The IQ is what counts and many argue about FA lenses not being "optimized" when the produce better photos than the newer lenses that are "optimized". Optimization can be something as simple as an extra non-reflective coating on the optics that face the sensor to minimize reflections or as elaborate as a reworking of the entire optical formula with new elements, groups, etc.
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The IQ is what counts and many argue about FA lenses not being "optimized" when the produce better photos than the newer lenses that are "optimized". Optimization can be something as simple as an extra non-reflective coating on the optics that face the sensor to minimize reflections or as elaborate as a reworking of the entire optical formula with new elements, groups, etc.
Well, the FA lenses aren't that old. The coatings argument really only applies to lenses in the M or K series.
03-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #30

Original Poster
I am thinking about getting the 21mm as it's cheap and good, then selling and buying the 43 once an ff date is confirmed