Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can some owner of Sigma 10-20 confirm if the Sigma works with both digital as well as film cameras? And how about the focusing ring on the Sigma, is it wide enough that it also works well for manual focus in film cameras?

Thanks,
Hin
I just looked Hin, and it looks like it's for Digital only. From what I can tell it's built around the smaller sensor size.

02-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you truly want extreme wait until Sigma makes their 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC Circular Fisheye available in a Pentax mount

I don't believe that they've announced it yet, however I'm sure they have it on their mind.
I am waiting for that fishie lens! Just no luck of having pentax mount yet...

That would be so much fun for sure.
02-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

FWIW, I chose the Pentax 12-24mm over the Sigma 10-20mm earlier this week. I wanted to add an ultra-wide to my kit for my upcoming honeymoon in Portugal (and my fiancee agreed )

I got to try both in-store before buying, and the Pentax was noticeably sharper, especially wide open (and I plan to have to use it that way regularly), and it vignetted less. The build quality of the Pentax was also noticeably better. I *think* I won't miss the 2 extra mm of the Sigma, and its distortion in the corners is pretty pronounced there anyway.

Another factor was that the Pentax goes to 24mm and is a constant f/4, which makes it a better "city walk-around" lens to my mind.

Finally, the Pentax was only 50$ costlier than the Sigma.

I'm not saying the Sigma is a bad lens, but the Pentax was a better one in my mind.
02-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can some owner of Sigma 10-20 confirm if the Sigma works with both digital as well as film cameras? And how about the focusing ring on the Sigma, is it wide enough that it also works well for manual focus in film cameras?

Thanks,
Hin
Hin

with the exception of the image circle, the 10-20 will function on my PZ-1, and although I have not tried it, I suspect it will also function on any K mount body because it has the apature coupling. full apature ring and a focusing ring.

I have not obviously shot any film with it as there is serious vignetting from 10 to at least 13 mm. If I want wide on film I use my pentax 18-35 it is almost as good in field of view on film as the 10-20 is on the ASP-C Sensor

If you are looking for an ultra wide that also covers full frame, the only lens mentioned anywhere in this thread is the sigma AOP 12-24 EX DG. In some reviews it has higher test results than the 10-20 as well. It is a little slower, but physically bigger and heavier (to cover the larger image circle)

02-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks,
Hin

Hin,

The Sigma 10-20mm is a DG lens and as such is optimised for the smaller APS sensors on out Pentax/Samsung camera's.

I use mine with a Samsung GX-10 to great effect and haven't had any worries with it at all since purchasing it in November. I just wish I could get out more with it.

I did try it once with my MZ-S and got the following results -

it was an interesting experiment but for my part i'm gonna stick with my Zenitar 16mm and Tokina 19-35mm for my 135 wide-angle shots.
03-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #21

I just received my new DA14 F2.8 this week. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't bigger and heavier than it was. I don''t know how it compares with the wide zooms, though. With just a few shots (100-200?), I am totally amazed at the IQ. The colors especially are fantastic. I can only compare them with the 31mm posts that I have been so impressed with. Don't count it out!

John
03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by dawsonjm Quote
Don't count it out!

John
I agree! I've had the 14 for over a year and when the ultrawide angle is necessary, it proves to be very good. I've seen it going relatively cheap used (<$450).

I've only briefly used the 10-20 and 12-24 but from what I could tell they're both excellent and built well, but obviously slower and wider and more flexible than the 14.

In any case, try hand-picking; I find zooms, especially ones going to wide angle, are more prone to misalignment, at least in my experience with two 28-xxx zooms.
03-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

A third vote for the DA 14. I was out shooting the other night and forgot my tripod- the extra stop of light compared to the zooms was greatly appreciated! Nice and shar, but only a six-bladed diaphram. Kinda wish it had a 7 or 9, but hey, other than that it's a great lens.

03-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
I just bought the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and I am very happy with it. There are good and bad with each lens. Check out the tests on each lens.

I chose the 10-20mm because the sharpness is nearly the same as the Pentax 12-24 at the same mm, without the horrible CA. Photozone.de rates the Pentax 12-24 higher than the Sigma 10-20, but I wanted the extra 2 mm, which in this range that is about 20% more picture.

I highly recommend the Sigma for it's sharpness and the extra 2mm wide.
I second that!

Damn, Tom, it took a while realising I had no bug in my monitor, but only your avatar
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #25
Damn Brit

Why not get the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye and have some fun?
03-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #26
hll

i think i will get 10-17 first and i spare some money and wait for upcoming 10-24.