Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
You will now be eligible to post on the Takumar thread and have now started your collection of Takumar lenses.
Mike,

Be forewarned, however: The Takumar line has a strange power to control your mind. Soon, you'll be lusting for more. They are wonderful lenses. But you probably know this already, eh?

- Craig

03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could remember which eBay seller I got mine from but I just looked up "M 42 to K mount adapter infinity focus" and grabbed some $11 deal from a seller in the US. It works great, sits flush and does as advertised. I've only had it get "stuck" on a macro extension tube. The spring-like-things that hold it onto the camera got caught in the release mechanism of the macro tube. Not entirely the fault of the adapter. It does come with a tool to make popping it on and off easier as well but I rarely use it myself.
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have one of those lens and agree with you - great short tele lens and renders beautifully - congrats on the purchase! You will enjoy this one once you get the adapter working - You will now be eligible to post on the Takumar thread and have now started your collection of Takumar lenses.
Thanks, Arjay Bee.

I've always liked the perspective a 200mm lens gave on a 35mm camera, so on a digital camera, this 150mm lens plus 50% should equal a 225mm lens.

For 20 years I used, and still have a Pentax 6x7 camera with a 90mm f2.8 lens. It's with this camera that I truly realized how good Asahi lenses really are. Almost every photographer that looked through the viewfinder of this camera commented on how clear and lifelike the image looked.

I am looking forward to starting a Takumar collection.

Mike
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Mike,

Be forewarned, however: The Takumar line has a strange power to control your mind. Soon, you'll be lusting for more. They are wonderful lenses. But you probably know this already, eh?

- Craig
I believe you, c.a.m.

When I got the lens home, and realized I needed an adapter, I thought of possibly returning the lens, and getting a similar focal length with a bayonet mount.

Then, the lens spoke to me saying how lonely it was in the basement of the store, and that it wanted a home with other Pentax lenses.

Boy, if a psychiatrist reads the above sentence...

Anyway, I just ordered the adapter from Amazon. Thanks for the link, DavidOBryan.

I'll post photos as soon as I can.

Thank you all.

Mike

03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Then, the lens spoke to me saying how lonely it was in the basement of the store, and that it wanted a home with other Pentax lenses.
It's still lonely, it needs some 50s to keep it company...

or maybe a 35/2 and a Spot F...

03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello again, everyone; here's an update.

I received the adapter (mount) in the mail today, and mounted the lens to my K-01.

I was impressed.

The lens focuses very smoothly, and gives one of the best images I've seen in the viewfinder.

I took some test shots, and these are my first impressions:

Sharp at f4.0
Very sharp at f5.6
Extremely sharp at f8.0.

I'd post some of the shots, but they're just boring shots of my camera bag by a window.

It was a very rainy day here in New York, and I wasn't able to take any photos outdoors; I'll try that tomorrow.

As for the mount: it's extremely well made. It fits as it should, but I can imagine how a more cheaply made adapter might get stuck.

At $50 US dollars, it was a little expensive, but now I have it, and can use it on other Takumars. should I get them.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to post tomorrow.

Mike
03-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello again, everyone.

I did some tests with the Takumar 150 f4, and I am more than pleased.

I don't have a breathtaking vista or a pretty face to show you, but you'll be able to judge this lens by these images.

First photo is F4. Sharp and notice the bokeh. Second photo is f5.6 notice change in bokeh. Third photo is f8. Further change in bokeh, and crazy sharp. All photos taken with my K-100D and the Takumar 150 f4. Only post processing was slight vignetting to reduce the photos from about 2.5MB to about 550kb.

I'm going to do more testing, but so far I am delighted with the sharpness, and the way it renders colors.

Sorry I took so long to get back with these shots.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 05-25-2014 at 09:39 PM.
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's another one.

Now this is sharp, and look at how saturated the red is!

Again, the only post processing was slight vignetting to reduce the file from 2.55MB to 592KB.

F8 @ 125th second, on a tripod.

Not bad for a lens which cost $44.00!

More tests to come as time allows.

I'm so happy, I'm going to have some ice cream!

Mike

03-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Here's another one.

Now this is sharp, and look at how saturated the red is!

Again, the only post processing was slight vignetting to reduce the file from 2.55MB to 592KB.

F8 @ 125th second, on a tripod.

Not bad for a lens which cost $44.00!

More tests to come as time allows.

I'm so happy, I'm going to have some ice cream!

Mike
I have 2 Pentax m42 adapters as well as an "Off" brand, the off brand was purchased from fotodiox and was/is a piece of junk. It was so tight on my lens that the entire lens and adapter would come off camera at the same time. I did all the testing on an old film camera and after this, would never trust it on a digital!

I don't have the Takumar 150 but I do have the Pentax M 150/4.0 and have found it's much more enjoyable and usable Focal Length than my 135's... Congrats!
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have one of those lens and agree with you - great short tele lens and renders beautifully - congrats on the purchase! You will enjoy this one once you get the adapter working - You will now be eligible to post on the Takumar thread and have now started your collection of Takumar lenses.
And boriscleto said that my 150mm Takumar needed some 50s to keep it company.

Did you guys wish another lens on me?

Hello, everyone.

My collection of Takumars, now stands at 2. The second lens being added quite fortuitously.

A friend of mine recently asked me if I wanted his old camera. I asked, "What brand is it?" he replied, "A Pentax."

He gave me an old Honeywell Pentax camera, and mounted on the front was an Auto Takumar 55mm 2.2 screw mount lens!

I couldn't believe it!

Here are a couple of photos of the lens. The first one is entitled, "Takumar and tools." The second one is called, "Takumar, Tools and Tomato," I had to get some color in the second shot.

I took a few test shots with the Takumar, and the results look extremely sharp.

I want to do some further tests before I post anything, but I love the small size of this lens.

More to come.

Both photos made with my Pentax 100mm M macro, and treated in Lightroom. The EXIF is incorrect regarding the lens focal length.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 08-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.
03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did a quick test with both the K55 1.8 lens, and my newly acquired Takumar 55 f2.2 lens.

Both photos were taken with my K-01, and both photos made @ f2.8 @ 1/4 second.

My camera bag and a Happy Birthday balloon were used as bokeh subjects in the background.

Both photos were brought down .48 stop in Lightroom, as they were a little hot, and to reduce the file size.

Does anyone have any comments on the sharpness and bokeh of each lens?

The first photo is the k55 1.8, the second is the Auto Takumar 55 2.2.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 06-25-2013 at 10:44 PM.
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello, again.

I did a thorough field test of the M150 Takumar yesterday, and I'd say it passes with flying colors.

This was taken in Manhattan. From half a block away, the details are pretty sharp.

F8 @ 1/20 second, tripod. Exposure brought down .80 stop, colors were not altered.

I like this lens.

Mike