Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 - now shipping...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just got an email from Tamron marketing:

"Hi Dmitry,

I was just informed that we started to ship the 17-50mm for Pentax. You can check with your local specialty store to see if they have them and if not, they can place a a special order for you. ....."

So, any guesses which store will have it first?

Regards,
D

P.S. No ETA on 70-200mm f2.8 though

02-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I searched the usual suspects (B&H, Adorama, Beach, Abe's, & OneCall) and none of them have it--not even for preorder! However, when all else fails, go to Fleabay and oftentimes, you can find what you want. Believe it or not, this was no exception.

TAMRON AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD ASP IF (A16) Pentax - eBay (item 370027646817 end time Mar-29-08 08:16:06 PDT)

Yes, you can be one of the first to get it straight from Japan!

HTH,
Heather
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I searched the usual suspects (B&H, Adorama, Beach, Abe's, & OneCall) and none of them have it--not even for preorder! However, when all else fails, go to Fleabay and oftentimes, you can find what you want. Believe it or not, this was no exception.

TAMRON AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD ASP IF (A16) Pentax - eBay (item 370027646817 end time Mar-29-08 08:16:06 PDT)

Yes, you can be one of the first to get it straight from Japan!

HTH,
Heather
The auction description says that it won't ship until after March 7 anyway. Maybe by then we'll start seeing the lens pop up in the usual places, and I rather order it here to get the full warranty.

Alex
02-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

so theoreticaly weather sealing and HSM costs us, the consumers 250 dollars.

02-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #5

Watch out!

I just got my Tamron 17-50 – and it was unusable. It has a very clear front focusing issue. Worse than anything I've seen, and I have three other lenses for this camera to check with (plus the exact same lens for the Konica-Minolta mount, bought last year). So check this out directly at the delivery, and if you pick it up in a store, check it there beforehand.
It's great when it focuses correctly. That's rare, however.
02-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
I just got my Tamron 17-50 – and it was unusable. It has a very clear front focusing issue. Worse than anything I've seen, and I have three other lenses for this camera to check with (plus the exact same lens for the Konica-Minolta mount, bought last year). So check this out directly at the delivery, and if you pick it up in a store, check it there beforehand.
Thanks for the warning! Good thing for warranty, right?

I've taken my lenses through its paces when I first get them. Hopefully us in the United States will start seeing this lens soon and have better luck.

Alex
02-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #7

How did you manage to get a copy?

Last edited by Tony; 03-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Quote
How did you manage to get a copy?
Ordered it about ten days ago from a big Finnish webstore (Verkkokauppa.com - Osta viisaammin. Osta nopeammin.). Was actually delivered a little sooner than they promised.
03-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #9

Ordered it about ten days ago from a big Finnish webstore (Verkkokauppa.com - Osta viisaammin. Osta nopeammin.). Was actually delivered a little sooner than they promised.
Good to know it is getting out there. Too bad you did not get a good copy but why did you not post a pic showing the problem or give details in how you tested it? It is always best to back up any claims you make regarding faults imo.
Tamron lenses are normally very good and i have never had an issue with any so i am thinking you got a dud but it is a shame if it puts people off the scent of this lens. I know that was not your intention but it will never the less happen.
03-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #10

The pics

QuoteQuote:
It is always best to back up any claims you make regarding faults imo.
Tamron lenses are normally very good and i have never had an issue with any so i am thinking you got a dud but it is a shame if it puts people off the scent of this lens.

Right. Rushed it a little bit there.

Below a screenshot of 100 % crop of two pictures, the left one with a correctly focusing Sigma 28-105 at 105 mm/4.0, at the right the Tamron 17-50 at 50 mm/2.8. Both wide open, focus AF-S with the center point chosen pointed at the tip of the pen.
Name:  Bild 17.jpg
Views: 9435
Size:  31.2 KB
Illuminated by indirect flash, the shadow of the pen shows about where the focus should be.
Next one shot in two magnifications, 50 and 100 %. 17 mm at 2.8, flash, AF-C, center point chosen, at the tip of the pen.
Name:  Bild 19.jpg
Views: 3866
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  Bild 20.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  37.6 KB

You could probably live with the first examples if it wasn't for the last. Imagine trying to keep your digital archive of paper clippings with the camera like I'm used to.
It's not beneficial for portraits either, although the evidence is less conclusive here:
Name:  Bild 21.jpg
Views: 4665
Size:  28.0 KB
less conclusive since you cannot exactly reproduce it. Flash (low ambient light), 50mm/f2.8, AF-C automatic point selection.
Sure, there are some sharp shots among my portraits like this. But where you can verify what and what you focus on, it's off.
Since it's been my favourite lens with KM I'm looking forward to getting an unflawed one.

Last edited by Kameraten; 03-01-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: trying to link the pictures
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #11

Not sure if it is just me but i am unable to see the pics....
03-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #12

Now you see double, and it's not your fault either. Still have to learn how to post pics in text without getting them to display both in the text and after.
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #13

Now you see double, and it's not your fault either. Still have to learn how to post pics in text without getting them to display both in the text and after.
Yep i see em now. I was wondering why you did not do the testing at f4 like you did with the Sigma? Is it not possible your camera is the culprit and this only becomes apparent at apertures of 2.8 or bigger?
I myself am patiently waiting for the lens as soon as it hits in th UK. Hope you get a better copy next time round.
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a Sigma 18-50mm. got tired of waiting on this lens. I'm seeing some issue with the pics but they are dark and hard to be sure. I would suggest anyone that is not sure about a lens FF/BF issue use the following : http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

A much more definitive method to check the lens. No need in testing against another lens and having unknown variables involved.
03-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #15

Actually I have a lot more shots of course. The Sigma was at f4 because that's wide open at 105 mm, while 2.8 is it for the 50 mm.
I have four lenses by now, the two other are the wide-angle SMC:s you see below. They focuse very precisely, also the 14 mm wide open. But it's always much harder to see how well you hit with a shorter lens. And there it doesn't even matter as much.