Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
You guys may want to read this review of the lens.
Tamron SP 17-50mm F2.8 - First Impression
You may notice that the reviewer seems to have a webstore selling this lens.
I did the same test. No improvement.

03-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
You may notice that the reviewer seems to have a webstore selling this lens.
I did the same test. No improvement.
Not sure what you are getting at regarding the fact he has a web store? There have been several reports of the lens in Pentax mount giving great results and only u with the FF problem
03-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Quote
Not sure what you are getting at regarding the fact he has a web store? There have been several reports of the lens in Pentax mount giving great results and only u with the FF problem
Any links to these reports?

I wonder when this will be available at adorama/B&H. With these potential focusing problems I don't think I want to order it from japan.
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #34

[QUOTE=ankit;194843]Any links to these reports?

I wonder when this will be available at adorama/B&H. With these potential focusing problems I don't think I want to order it from japan.

QUOTE]

Not going to search high and low for em but they will have either been posted on the Pentax forums of dpreview or steves digicams as they are the forums i look in most. I think i have seen 4 users give a recommendation including the one on here. Like i said i came across em but did not really record where

If you are in no hurry why would you order from Japan when Tamron USA give you a 5 or 6 year warranty i believe.[/

03-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #35

Not going to search high and low for em but they will have either been posted on the Pentax forums of dpreview or steves digicams as they are the forums i look in most. I think i have seen 4 users give a recommendation including the one on here. Like i said i came across em but did not really record where

If you are in no hurry why would you order from Japan when Tamron USA give you a 5 or 6 year warranty i believe.[/
That's part of the reason why I'm waiting, I would like the piece of mind of having that many years of warranty. Although, I am getting a little impatient.
03-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
That's part of the reason why I'm waiting, I would like the piece of mind of having that many years of warranty. Although, I am getting a little impatient.
I would imagine you should have one within a month. In UK the warranty is only a year. The store i ordered from has a good rep and gives a free 3 year warranty so i have no problems with orderering from Japan and it is a lot cheaper for me too. The only trip abroad for me for a while is to Dublin and I really want the lens for that trip so i was not prepared to wait.
03-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #37

I would imagine you should have one within a month. In UK the warranty is only a year. The store i ordered from has a good rep and gives a free 3 year warranty so i have no problems with orderering from Japan and it is a lot cheaper for me too. The only trip abroad for me for a while is to Dublin and I really want the lens for that trip so i was not prepared to wait.
B&H Photo now has it on preorder, I just preordered it

Not sure when it'll actually ship, but I got a reply from Tamron when I asked them about availability. They said that they're shipping out to retailers as they order them, so hopefully "soon."

Alex

05-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #38

Update on the Tamron 17-50

Two copies later I'm more than ever convinced that this lens is inherently prone to front focusing. I'm now on copy three, serial number 5000+ while the first ones were from the first 500, and it behaves exactly like the two first ones.
What did I do? Bite the apple. I did the focusing adjustment on the body via the hacked 1.10 firmware. Moving the focusing point towards the back by -40 brought the foremost objects just barely in focus with this 17-50, while not quite throwing them out the other way with the other lenses.
My old Sigma 28-105 might have benefitted a little from the operation. But the 12-24 and especially the 14 mm is now clearly more prone to back focusing. Originally they were spot on.
Using the debug mode has some pitfalls and involves a lot of uncertainty and is not to be recommended unless you are ready to risk the price of the body. Fortunately, for the K10D it's at the moment a reasonable risk.
In different forums it's frequently mentioned that the K10D would have memory slots for the separate adjustment of four lenses. The debug menu offers four Focus Area Test slots, but they don't seem to be associated with different lenses but with some other property – probably focusing modes, focusing points or focusing distances. It seems that just experimenting with the first one (slot 0) is enough and gives a somewhat traceable effect.
On the whole I wouldn't recommend this lens for a K10D owner who also wants to have some fast DA-series lens focus correctly. At least, try both out before buying.
For the 20D where you can correct the front focusing independently of other lenses it may be a very good buy. Correctly focused the optical quality seems fine, even great.
05-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I've set mine to -5 in the K20D focus adjust menu, but to be honest I didn't really notice any problems with it on this or the K10D before doing some fine pixel peeping. More of a tweek than a correction.
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #40
Inactive Account

17-50

I recieved my Tamron from B&H on April 3 number 000402. It is dead on focus with my 100D. LOVE IT
Ray
05-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #41

Exciting news, Ive been waiting to hear more about these issues with this Tammy.
05-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #42

Anyone else with this lens, please post your experience. Thanks.
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
Anyone else with this lens, please post your experience. Thanks.
I have it already.. Will post some when I get home..